Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

which "raw" nuts are raw?
Posted by: Fud ()
Date: May 04, 2007 02:19AM

Which "raw" nuts are really "raw"? By raw I meaned uncooked/heated during the process from plant to me. ALL foods we eat are processed in some form, even if it's just picking it off the plant and stuffing it in our mouths.

Sorry to keep going on about nuts. I broke down and went to Trader Joe's. They didn't have any brazil nuts in the shell so I had to run around a bit to some of the other specialty stores in that area. I figure if I can't eat them then my wife can. I found some raw pistachios in the shell, (that's going to be interesting). Raw sunflower seeds unshelled, and a bag of mixed nuts that look like the kind you get at christmas.

While I was at trader joes I noticed they changed their labeling to show the almonds had been pasteurized and refused to call them raw. That was comforting.

[rawfoodtrip.blogspot.com]
[jugglingforjoy.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: which "raw" nuts are raw?
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 04, 2007 04:20AM

ive got a ton of walnut and hazelnut trees around where i live .. theyre raw people sell them on the side of the street

i think those are 2 pretty common untouched nuts as far as nuts go hehe

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: May 04, 2007 05:00AM

Just wondering why do we peel the skin from almonds?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 04, 2007 05:16AM

All store bought nuts are dehydrated. Even nuts in a shell. If they weren't they would go rancid.

Even though many nuts have been dehydrated, they may still be viable, that is, with soaking they may still sprout.

Your best bet for fresh nuts that have never seen the inside of an oven is to get them fresh off of a tree.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 04, 2007 05:21AM

any nut can be either way, raw or roasted. I can see by color alone the roasted ones.

A new law is trying to paturize all almonds.

When in FL I wrote a song it's illegal to be well, getting more and more true every day especially with that new codex law.

elnatural

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 04, 2007 11:58AM

My brother's farm has pecan trees. I am pretty confident that the nuts that drop from them are raw.

I am not so confident about what I can buy in a store.

It's better to concentrate on local, anyway. But I usually include a brazil nut for selenium.

Posted by: Fud ()
Date: May 04, 2007 06:01PM

Ok thanks. I'll just play it by ear. I bought some raw pistachio's last night which the package insists are raw, unpasteurized, untreated, organic and totally whole and ate a small handful. I feel miserable now, though so I'll likely hold off on nuts a while. Good thing the family likes them.

I'll have to try sprouting the brazil nuts while I'm waiting and see what happens. Thanks agian.

[rawfoodtrip.blogspot.com]
[jugglingforjoy.com]

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: May 04, 2007 07:36PM

flex4life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just wondering why do we peel the skin from
> almonds?

Because they are slightly toxic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables