Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Probiotics
Posted by: amybass ()
Date: May 04, 2007 02:19PM

Anyone here use probiotics? I wrote an article about choosing good probiotics on my site- [journeyforhealth.blogspot.com]

Just started my rawfood journey and blogging daily about it here: [journeyforhealth.blogspot.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Probiotics
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 04, 2007 02:31PM

You should have no need for probiotics if your diet is high in fiber (from food, not supplements).

Soluble fibers from plant foods are fermentated in the colon by bacteria and give rise to short-chain fatty acids (SCFA).

SCFA enhance the growth of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria and play a central role on the physiology and metabolism of the colon.

Pre and probiotics have some benefits, but their effects seem to be largely mediated by SCFA.

The food industry is making a leap of faith in their efforts to commercialize prebiotics and exploit potential health benefits. Plus, they want to make a buck.

ref: Nutr Clin Pract. 2006 Aug;21(4):351-66.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 04, 2007 02:42PM

i saw a term used here i think it was

micro-managing your health

over the last few years ive stopped using all pills potions lotions that are put out there .. but it took a few years for me to release the vitamin pill bottle strangle hold lol

the last thing ive held onto was my b-shot and im pretty much convinced now not to bother getting that anymore

i think my system is ticking along just fine with whole raw foods ... but if there was any reason to take pro-biotics again i probably would again for a duration smiling smiley

i shudder to think what my supplement bill used to be and most of it was going down the toilet literally lol

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Harmony ()
Date: May 04, 2007 05:50PM

Yes,I agree with the others...I spent way too much money on supplements in the past and they did nothing for me except empty my wallet. I wish I had spent that money on delicious fruits instead!

Date: May 04, 2007 06:54PM

also , if you wouldnt mind, could you cite (quote) your sources (journals, email links etc)for the information you find to write these articles that you write so further investigation can be looked into?

thanks much smiling smiley

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 04, 2007 07:01PM

I did provide a ref, search this web page on "ref"-- ! I almost always provide refs.

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: May 04, 2007 07:35PM

My family gets our probiotics from the kefir that we make ourselves.

Date: May 04, 2007 09:24PM

arugula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I did provide a ref, search this web page on
> "ref"-- ! I almost always provide refs.

sorry arugula i meant that question to Amybass smiling smiley

sorry im not trying to antagonize you or accuse you of anything its just nice to be able to look up information further

i see you link the natures secret stuff ..

but nothing referencing the information you used to write the article. I dont doubt what you say is true its again just for my own research purposes or others reading it

for example when you write:
Health can be maintained even with 15% bad bacteria in the body as long as there is at least 85% good bacteria. The problem is that most people have it the other way around with bad bacteria making up 85% or more of the bacteria in their colon.

where did this info come from?

friendly bacteria also prevents yeast and fungus overgrowth and helps to reduce cholesterol in the body.

who says so? how do i know if this is true or not ? who did the research ?

these are just expamples, when i was taking an ethics class for my massage therapy course they warned us up an down about making claims or taking responsibility for providing information.

say someone reads an article on the net ..decides to do what it says and becomes ill from it. unless that person has prewarned the reader in a way that says for example:

These are my opinions only or...
I am not a Medical Professional ... or
This information is for informational purposes only and not used to diagnose treat etc etc

that could leave the writer open to possibly being sued

again im not attacking your blog or you personally and hope you dont take it this way, you are providing alot of information that is helpful to know and hope you keep it up for a long time to come

- Jodi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2007 09:25PM by Jgunn.

Posted by: amybass ()
Date: May 04, 2007 09:44PM

Jodi- I completley understand. The stuff I posted was stuff I understood and learned from various sources. I do make sure to put a medical disclaimer at the bottom of my blog to warn people that I am not giving medical advise and anything is to be done at their own risk. I will make it a point to try and scrounge up some medical research links and such for my articles. Thanks, Amy

Just started my rawfood journey and blogging daily about it here: [journeyforhealth.blogspot.com]

Date: May 04, 2007 09:56PM

thanks Amy for understanding lol sometimes i worry about what i say gets taken the wrong way so i just keep my mouth shut hahaha

im sorry you an yer hubby cant both continue on the raw path , its really sad when the best foods for us are priced out of range when its so easy to eat sickly and sad

Posted by: Lemure ()
Date: June 02, 2007 03:30PM

I dont know about the 85% good bacteria vs. 15% bad bacteria but I do believe that we all have 'bad' bacteria inside us, which helps digests our food. There is a balance of good/bad bacteria inside where the friendly/helpful bacteria keep the 'bad' guys in check. Its not a war where you kill off all the bad guys, its more of a yin/yang thing.

I learned this from reading online about intenstinal diseases, until I found a cure for a friend of mine who had IBS that progressed to crohns. I also learned alot that I needed to know because years ago my kidney shut down from e coli (age 27) and the ER doc took me aside and told me, no more antibiotics because when and if I really needed them, they wouldnt work. I had been plagued by urinary tract/bladder infections which I then cured after this, on my own with cranberry juice and time, and lots of pain - but it did work.

Ive read that if you have had antibiotics, you need to replenish your microflora. Alot of the microflora is transient and needs to be replenished constantly. When I was studying this, I was a meat eater, so I dont know about vegetarian differences, but I will say, when my kidney shut down I had been a strict vegan for 10 years at that point. Where did the e coli come from that shut my kidney down? perhaps the food was grown in manure that had it? Someone didnt wash their hands and I had eaten out? I do not know... Ive pondered this alot.

Most of what I learned came from medline studies, and The specific carbohydrate diet, designed by Elaine Gottschall who was one of the worlds best microbioligists, who studed the microflora of the gut. she had degrees in biology, nutritional biochemistry and cellular biology (deceased now). She pushed probiotics in the form of homemade 24 hour cultured yogurt, which is very cheap to make, claiming one teaspoon of the HM yogurt was like ingesting hundred of the pills, due to the amount of probiotics. She did this because her daughter had crohns at 4, and there was no cure.

I used to footnote everything with my sources and all that, so that I could 'prove' things, and people argued anyway, hee hee! I figure if people want to know, they will do the footwork like I did and find out on their own.

My friend is cured, thats proof enough for me! I did the diet with him for many years and I have not come close to having any bladder/yeast infections since I started.

SCdiet helps with Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, IBS, celiac, diverticulitis, autism, cystic fibrosis, MS, FIBRO, Arthitis and other ailments rooted in the digestive tract. (Elaine called most auto-immune diseases food intoxication which occures when the blood/brain barrier has been breached - which her diet cured)

I tend to believe most diseases are rooted in the digestive tract now, thats why I started eating raw foods which are scd legal.

--------From the site: [www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info]

"The foods that are allowed on the Specific Carbohydrate Dietâ„¢ are based on the chemical structure of these foods. Carbohydrates are classified by their molecular structure.

The allowed carbohydrates are monosaccharides and have a single molecule structure that allow them to be easily absorbed by the intestine wall. Complex carbohydrates which are disaccharides (double molecules) and polysaccharides (chain molecules) are not allowed. Complex carbohydrates that are not easily digested feed harmful bacteria in our intestines causing them to overgrow producing by products and inflaming the intestine wall. The diet works by starving out these bacteria and restoring the balance of bacteria in our gut."

Just my 2 cents! --- Lemure

Date: June 02, 2007 05:31PM

intersting post Lemure smiling smiley *giggles* x 7 lol .. i think your post button had a hiccup tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 03, 2007 03:25AM

sheessssh! if i gotta read lemure's post AGAIN i don't know WHAT i'm gonna dosmiling smiley

Posted by: Lemure ()
Date: June 03, 2007 01:53PM

oh jeese, sorry about that UG UG!! I tried to edit

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables