Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fat / Candida / Dry skin etc
Posted by: vegan john ()
Date: May 04, 2007 03:17PM

How much fat are you having approx per day? (Sorry if you have posted these amounts elsewhere). I find it hard to equate a percentage (e.g 10%) and would find it easier to understand in very rough terms of approx tablespoons, cups or per advocado etc.

I am trying to get the right balance for myself and it is taking a bit of adjusting. It is reasonably easy for me to reduce fats, but then I have dry skin. Having dry skin probably means that I am not getting enough fat (??) as I drink a lot of water.

I'm wondering whether my dry skin issue might be whether I am getting the right ratios of Omega 3 and 6? (Rather than the amount of fat I am having - not sure).

Also, I am wondering in connection with the possible candida issue - whether if I simply have the fruit well away from the fats (e.g. apples,mangoes etc for brunch and then later have fat at meal at approx 6 p.m.). Would that work?? The fruit sugar would have left the bloodstream (??) and the fat then could not affect it (??). I'm just wondering ... any thoughts?

I would appreciate your comments and advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fat / Candida / Dry skin etc
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 04, 2007 07:40PM

When I eat no overt fats in a day, I am getting 5% fat a day. An overt fat is a food whose primary calorie source is fat, ie oil, nuts, seeds, avocados, coconuts, etc. Lets say I eat 1500 calories. To get 10% fat a day, this means 150 calories. However, the foods I eat have a minimum of 5% fat in them, so that means I can add 5% in the form of overt fats. This means 75 calories of overt fat.

1/4 cup of olive oil is 477 calories of fat.
1/4 cup of sunflower seeds is 153 calories of fat.
1/4 cup of sesame seeds is 153 calories of fat.
1/4 cup of almonds is 162 calories of fat.
1/4 cup of avocado is 72 calories of fat

To get under 10% fat, this mean I could have:

2 teaspoons of olive oil OR
1/8 cup of sunflower or sesame or almonds OR
1/4 cup of avocado.

Another way to do this is to not eat overt fats for 3 days, and on the 4th day eat 4 days worth of fat. So on the 4th day I could eat:

2.5 tablespoons of olive oil OR
1/2 cup of sunflower or sesame or almonds OR
1 cup of avocado

IF you are eating no overt fats, you are getting the perfect balance of omega-6 to omega-3s. Its when you eat high fat foods that the omega-6 gets out of balance.

If you are eating under 10% fat a day, you ought to not have any blood sugar issue, regardless of how you eat your fats. That being said, I like to eat the fats at the end of the day. If you do the 3 days no fat, and 4th day of fat, then on 3 days you don't even have to think about the food ordering of eating fat versus fruit, and on the 4th day eat the fat at the end of the day.

Posted by: abc123tyler ()
Date: May 04, 2007 10:18PM

I am not sure how you would eat such little avocado... I couldn't do it and save it for the next day or further on... I have not been eating much in the form of oils and have had no virtually zero nuts for weeks, but I don't know if I could stop eating avocados... maybe a phase. I haven't had one this week though...

Posted by: love ()
Date: May 05, 2007 02:07AM

Hello!

I have only heard of people getting rid of there candida with a low suger, fruit, starch diet.

Love to all!

love

P.S.

Listen to your body! Different people feel different on different ways of eating. You just have to experiment and find out what works for you.

Date: May 09, 2007 03:47PM

Many thanks for all of the replies and comments.

Bryan, I really appreciate the info that you have given. Very useful and informative. When you mention the cup measurements (e.g. 1/4 cup avocado), are you referring to the U.S.A. standard cup measurement? Only I am in the U.K. and we don't use cup measurements here, so I am trying to decide how much a cup is (e.g. the size of a tea cup ... that people drink tea out of?). I have just done a quick google search and it says a USA full cup = 285ml liquid or 500g dry). I am not sure where you live so not sure whether you mean e.g. an english tea cup or a U.S.A. cup measure. Also,I would be very interested in any advice that you might have in getting the correct ratios of Omega 3 and 6 in the overt fats?

Many thanks.

Posted by: Lemure ()
Date: May 13, 2007 02:10PM

It may be the detergents you are using. I had chronically dry skin and eczema all my life until I read about the difference between soap and detergents. I tried everything, diets, not washing as much, switching soaps, creams, lotions...doctors, doctors.

Since then I have switched to only 'real' soap... for laundry, bathing, shampoo, dishes, everything. Most of the stuff on the market, even marked as 'soap' is really detergent, even the biodegrable organic, good-for-the-enviroment stuff found at health food stores.

Once I read about how detergents strip away the skins natural barrier and make the skin (and eyes and lungs) 40% more permeable to everything (but soap doesnt), I had to try it.

It worked for me, its amazing! I can't believe no one knew to tell me about this because at one point I had eczema so bad on my hands that I couldnt bend my fingers. I went through years of torchure because of dawn dish detergent. Even wearing gloves didnt help because my bath 'soap' was detergent based as was my hand 'soap' and shampoo.

I buy all my soap products online now, except for bar soap. (calben soap company and dr bronners bar soap)

Lemure

Date: May 14, 2007 04:50PM

Lemure,
Many thanks for your kind comments.

I use Dr. Bonner's Pure Organic Castille Soap on my hands. On my lower legs ... I don't use any soap. I read an article a few years ago about someone giving up washing themself with soap and just using water. Although initially I wondered about it, I decided to try it (and haven't looked back ... it works just fine) and I only use the Dr. Bonner's pure organic soap on hands, arm pits and bottom. The rest of my body I wash just with water. I've truly never noticed any difference since giving up the soap a few years ago and now wonder why I ever allowed myself to be brainwashed into believing that I needed to use soap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2007 04:51PM by vegan john.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables