Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

is this really true???
Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 05, 2007 12:01PM

Hi i was looking up sugar content of tomato's and came across a site of tips to grow them....well as i was reading through the paragraphs i found this statement...."Although lycopene is available in all ripe tomatoes, a greater supply is more useful to the body in cooked tomatoes." i find it hard to believe that there is more nutrient content well lycopene and more useful to the body (don't want to misquote them) in COOKED tomatoes then in raw...has anyone else heard anything like this??

here is the site in case you want to see it haha...it is just a growing tomato site..but since i wasn't wondering about that i thought it was main forum material...any tomato people out there that can tell me if this is true?!?!?!?!?!?!

[www.urbanext.uiuc.edu]
don't know if that site will be clickable...but it should copy and paste...and the little info thing is at the bottom in nutrient content....
thanks guys...
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: is this really true???
Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: May 05, 2007 12:45PM

There are nutrients in some food that are onloy absorbed by the body by cooking the foods.

Tomatoes are one, and also, the betacaroten (sp?) in carrots can only be absorbed by the body when they have been cooked.

xxpeisi

Posted by: James Smith ()
Date: May 05, 2007 02:11PM

It's true, but it's not the whole truth. Sure, more lycopene per tomato is available from cooked tomatoes. But
1. How many tomatoes do the people on SAD eat compared to the people on raw? Raw foodists probably eat more tomatoes. So while the rate is lower, you still get more lycopene.
2. What about all the OTHER nutrients??

Posted by: James Smith ()
Date: May 05, 2007 02:19PM

Let's just look at the numbers and put this to rest.

Raw tomatoes: 2573 mcg lycopene / 100 grams
Cooked tomatoes: 3041 mcg lycopene / 100 grams

[www.nutritiondata.com]
[www.nutritiondata.com]

I've heard about the issue with lycopene before, and, from the way people talk about it, I thought that it was a major difference. Well, as we can see from the numbers, it's not. Cooked tomatoes have 20% more lycopene. That's it.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: May 05, 2007 03:24PM

And also, a raw food eater, if they've been at it for awhile and are pretty detoxified, can probably assimilate the nutrients in any of these foods a whole lot better than a cooked food eater. That's a factor the mainstream health pundits will never consider: assimilation.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 05, 2007 03:32PM

no WONDER i come to this forum

brainiacs abound everywhere!!

hee hee

i am blessed

this site is coolnesssmiling smiley

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 05, 2007 04:06PM

There was a paper in AJCN by either Sies or Stahl (can't remember which one, they also often write as a team) where cooked and raw were compared and yes, more lycopene was in the blood of the cooked eaters. But he (or they) speculated the reason why was that the fibrous matrix was broken down. You can accomplish the same thing more or less by putting your RAW tomatoes in the blender or food processor without cooking them.

search on sies or stahl and lycopene, it's an older paper only in pdf form.
[ajcn.org]

You can also eat watermelon to get your lycopene.

A couple of studies have shown that raw tomatoes are more protective than cooked ones regarding hormonal cancers though. So fixating on this one compound is probably missing the bigger picture.

Posted by: bronwynsun ()
Date: May 05, 2007 06:43PM

i think kwann is right, assimilation is a factor that isn't considered nearly as much as it should be...the nutritional data of any food can't apply to you if you're not absorbing anything anyways because you are so clogged up!

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 05, 2007 08:08PM

earthangel.....Is it time to change your picture yet? Let us know how you're improving yourself.....WY
P.S. I'd say just eat your tomatoes raw. Overall, cooked tomatoes can't be better for you.

Posted by: Fud ()
Date: May 05, 2007 11:19PM

kwan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And also, a raw food eater, if they've been at it
> for awhile and are pretty detoxified, can probably
> assimilate the nutrients in any of these foods a
> whole lot better than a cooked food eater. That's
> a factor the mainstream health pundits will never
> consider: assimilation.

Amen!

I remember reading somewhere that the stomach and intestines develop a thicker mucous lining when eating cooked foods versus raw and that this is a defensive mechanism of our bodies.

[rawfoodtrip.blogspot.com]
[jugglingforjoy.com]

Date: May 05, 2007 11:38PM

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful advice...that makes me feel better...glad to hear the difference isn't much...and that we are still getting more..cuz i do eat a lot of tomatoes..i just got a little curious about this whole thing...and of course since our bodies are cleaner we will assimilate more...thanks everyone for taking the time to help out and answer my quesiton..i really appreciate it!!!!
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxo

p.s. wy...i only put this pic up like 2 weeks ago haha..hmm i don't know if it is time or not lol...but i am progressing..but with all of my health challenges it seems to be at a standstill right now i am not sure why......i have been having to take morei nsulin..yet i have not increased my sugar or fruit intake...so my body is acting funny right now....i am not sure the reason...i went to see a lecture last night and they told me to do mostly sprouts all day....and that should help..oh and to take chlorella all day..popping 5 here and there..so i am going to go to whole foods and look for it...and start that out...any tips??
xoxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: Fud ()
Date: May 05, 2007 11:43PM

what is chlorella? is it a plant or fruit?

How much exercise have you added?

I'm barely adding any yet but I really need to get into the physical aspect of it. I have been trying to increase my juggling a bit so that helps some.

[rawfoodtrip.blogspot.com]
[jugglingforjoy.com]

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: May 05, 2007 11:58PM

Hi Fud,
Have you considered just adding more walking? I ignored the benefits of walking (though I did walk a lot in my daily life) as a form of exercise until I started a summer job 2 years ago that required me to walk a few miles a week while on the job. Wow! The weight just came off like crazy, in a way that it didn't with all my fancy workouts at the gym. That got my attention! So now I make it a point to walk a lot whenever weather permits.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 06, 2007 12:32AM

Hey fud.. well no i haven't added any more exercise then what i normally do...i have been exercising since i was about 3 years old..so i don't feel the need to improve on it at this time...i currently do about 4 hours of intense cardio a day.....1 hour of running/walking at the track...1 hour of spinning in the morning...then 1 hour of advanced step aerobics...and 1 hour on eliptical...then 1 hour of weight training...so i am pretty good in the exercise department for now..but it is def a good thing to add into your program!! and kwan is right walking is soooo wonderful!!! try to get at least 35 minutes a day...it helps increase the oxygen in your body and get rid of toxins!! good luck....

oh and here is a little on the chlorella from the website i am ordering from
Our bodies are constantly exposed to harmful environmental toxins every day. Over time, the toxic build-up in our system slowly tears away at our health. But there is hope! Sun Chlorella is a natural whole food supplement derived from Chlorella pyrenoidosa, a nutritionally superior species of a freshwater, single-celled, green algae. Sun Chlorella provides vital nutrients that your body needs such as potassium, all of the B vitamins, magnesium, zinc and iron, 18 vital amino acids, beta carotene and lutein. Sun Chlorella is rich in nucleic acids, which helps your body’s own natural defense system. In addition to being packed with the vital nutrients your body needs, Sun Chlorella has the following Unique Clinical Benefits, which you won’t find anywhere else except in Sun Chlorella:
CGF (Chlorella Growth Factor) - Sun Chlorella is rich in the Chlorella Growth Factor (CGF), which gives your body a revitalizing boost. CGF is the key to chlorella’s remarkable ability to rapidly reproduce itself during growth, and can help speed up your body’s own revitalization process.
Chlorophyll - Sun Chlorella is rich in nature’s most powerful purifying agent, chlorophyll. Chlorella contains the highest percentage of natural chlorophyll of any plant source, containing as much as 7%.
Protein - Sun Chlorella is packed with protein to help your body support and nurture damaged tissues. Ounce-for-ounce, chlorella has more protein than steak or soy.
Beta-Carotene - An important carotenoid and a powerful antioxidant that helps reduce inflammation
Fibrous Cell Wall - Promotes healthy bowel movement and helps prevent constipation
Lutein -Two servings of Sun Chlorella provides 8mg of lutein, which is the Recommended Daily Intake (RDI) of this nutrient, found to support good vision.

love earthangel
xoxoxoxooxxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 06, 2007 02:04AM

arugulopolis's idea about putting it in the blender
makes a lot of sense

sheessh
sometimes the answers are soo simple

me agree with Ocam's Razor

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables