Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Birthday Blues.
Posted by: Fud ()
Date: May 07, 2007 10:22PM

Today I'm officially a year older. The family is mad because I insisted on no cake. they're not talking to me atm. I'm having severe cravings for cooked foods. I'm going nuts. I'm starting to have a gag reflex when I eat fruit. I'm trying not to do too much high fats but I don't know what else to do. Last time I tried this I was making guacamole every day This time around I'm only having it occasionally.

Just had to post. I can't concentrate on anything right now. Almost fainted twice today because I wasn't eating properly. I manage to force down a date and a banana without throwing up but I thought I was going to. I'm really discouraged.

[rawfoodtrip.blogspot.com]
[jugglingforjoy.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Birthday Blues.
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: May 07, 2007 10:32PM

All I can do is commiserate with you and wish you tons of fortitude.

Remember how much better things will be in the future!

Maybe you should have a little celery or parsley or some other, lighter food instead of heavy fruit. Listen to your body.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 07, 2007 10:33PM

Fud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Today I'm officially a year older. The family is
> mad because I insisted on no cake. they're not
> talking to me atm.
WEll HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Im sorry your family is being so pigheaded ..whos birthday is it afterall???!! My twin brother used to get so annoyed with me because im allergic to chocolate and my mom would make anything but chocolate fearing my demise hehe

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: May 07, 2007 10:48PM

Yes, Happy Birthday! They could make you a raw cake, there are recipes online. I made a couple raw pies and my son (he's not raw) loved them. I did a Key Lime Pie and a Strawberry Pie. I loved the Key Lime Pie too.

When people use 'not talking' method, it's for control of the person they are not talking to. Don't give in..they will eventually give the tactic up, if you don't buy into it.

You are doing yourself a favor by being raw, and you never know who in your family might be helped someday due to your being raw now. Raw can help prevent and cure illness.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: May 07, 2007 10:49PM

Hey Fud,
Happy Birthday!!!, and congratulations on your resolve and determination through all of this. You are to be commended and should be really proud of yourself. ;-)I'm sorry your family is not being supportive-- that must really hurt. Maybe they are feeling insecure and a little bit afraid of losing the 'old' Fud. Change is really scary to people, especially when it's their close relatives who are doing it. THey're probably concerned about you, too; most people who are unfamiliar with raw food find detox symptoms mystifying and upsetting. Just hang in there and hold your ground, and I bet they'll come around.

When I went on a water fast on a camping trip last summer, my husband had a few periods of anxiety and frustration when I went through detox and was weak and not my usual energetic self. Later he was happy when he realized I was okay and had 1 just been through a healing crisis.

I don't know if this is good advice or totally counter-productive, but I'm feeling that if raw food is making you nauseous right now you perhaps might want to try blender smoothies made with fruit and a few greens. They sound gross, but they're delicious and filling without requiring much digestion. The greens (a handful or 2, chopped up small) keep you satisfied and make blood sugar regulation much easier. I like combainations like 1/2 mango/1 orange/1/3 c blueberries + spinach or 1 orange/3 sl. pineapple + parsley or 1/6 papaya/1 orange/1/2 c raspberries + kale. The sky's the limit, really.

Maybe next year your family will make you a beautiful raw cake! I hope so.

Love, joy and peace--

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: May 07, 2007 10:51PM

Yeah, maybe your family is sort of addicted to food. People can be so irrational when their addictions are denied. And a cake seems less important than a family member, so their reactions seem a little irrational.

Hang in there.

I really admire you for your efforts! (I tend to crumple pretty easily.....)

Posted by: khale ()
Date: May 07, 2007 10:52PM

Happy Birthday!

Go whip up some frozen banana's and throw a bunch of chopped nuts on top and some berries and stick a candle in it...

C'mon Fud, it's your birthday, man!

Date: May 07, 2007 10:59PM

wow that sounds really good Khale lol ... mmmmm

Date: May 07, 2007 11:06PM

I made a 16 oz smoothie. a banana, strawberries, kale, and ice. I was able to get the first cup down no problem. sorta reminded me of strawberry confections. I'm halfway through the 2nd cup. I hope the ice doesn't destroy the plant nutrients. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the idea.

[jugglingforjoy.com]

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: May 07, 2007 11:16PM

Fud,

It's your birthday! Have the guacamole!

smiling smiley

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: Frannie ()
Date: May 07, 2007 11:23PM

Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday dear Fu-ud
Happy birthday to youuuuuuuuu

Love, Francis

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: May 08, 2007 02:31AM

Fud Wrote:
I'm halfway through the 2nd cup. I
> hope the ice doesn't destroy the plant nutrients.
> We'll see how it goes.
>

dude, you are concentrating on too many negatives..is this raw..that raw..is this a food..not a food...more nutrients..less nutrients.

everything is just comprable to what you were previously doing...as long as you stick to being one step above and beyond where you used to be...you are making progress. do you really think an herb is more of an irritant than a burrito?

if you want a rule to stick to..master food combining..it really is THE rule and trumps 'raw-eating' 100% IMO

as for the cake..for some its just symbolic...perhaps it was how you defended your reasoning for not wanting cake..if you thought it would be too tempting for them to enjoy and not you, I certainly here you..perhaps next year they'll make a regular cake and you'll just sit and enjoy your strawberries...i'll probably go out 'for drinks' with my friends on my birthday..which is commin up

Date: May 08, 2007 02:37AM

perhaps this is for the other thread..but store bought nuts for the same reason are fair game my friend...don't deprive yourself of something you want..based on someone elses ideal. if at some point you feel like you want to exert more control over the situation because you are comfortable in your zone, and moving out of your zone, do so. my 'intuition' right now tells me this is not the present case. by that time you'll probably have figured out for yourself whether the nuts are working for you or not also.

Date: May 08, 2007 03:05AM

The smoothie helped give me an energy boost but didn't completely avoid the gagging reflex. The cravings didn't subside any either. By the end of the 2nd cup I felt as if I was going to hurl. I think I'm going to re-evaluate and perhaps drop back to a 75% to 80% raw with healthy vegan options for the non-raw and try that out for a while. I need to find a good starting point that doesn't promote a psychological aversion to the foods I need. I'll have to research some good alternatives for the non-raw portions and then slowly ramp up the raw some how. The local library has "fit for life" and "eat to live". I'm going to pick those up tomorrow so I don't have to wait 2 days for them to get to me.

[jugglingforjoy.com]

Date: May 08, 2007 03:14AM

you'll 'ramp up the raw' no doubt as long as you find your comfort zone and create some happiness/health there...you are thinking smart man so I am sure you will.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: May 08, 2007 04:02AM

Hi Fud,

Happy birthday. I had mine 2 days ago. I understand where you are as I was there. Going full on into Raw is difficult and for me, the body was detoxing too fast and my body/appetite was not adjusting rapidly enough to sustain 100% Raw from the onset. So, relax and enjoy the journey.

It's great that you are making healthy choices based on your body's feedback. I believe that is the key to health.

For your stomach, try drinking German Chamomile tea. It should settle it. I usually use at least 2 bags per 6 oz cup of boiling water. Keep drinking it and relax. Your body will normalize. Don't eat if you don't want to. Not eating is part of detox. This allows the digestive system to clean out whatever is there.

Good luck and congrats on another trip around the sun. May it be a happy one.
Therese

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: May 08, 2007 01:23PM

Happy, happy birthday. May all your wishes come true and your life be filled with love and happiness.

My heart goes out to you about this whole thing with your family and having a difficult time eating. When I am under stress, my digestion slows right down (and it's already slow) and I feel ill. Perhaps it is your stress about how others are treating you as you go raw that is making you feel ill, rather than the way you are eating.

{{{HUGS}}}

Love,

GypsyArdor

Posted by: elover6 ()
Date: May 08, 2007 03:05PM

The moment I stopped jumping threw the hoops everyone else wanted me to jump threw than I was free. See the thing is that is there issue not yores dont make it yores. And if yore family wants to see you have plenty more Birthdays they will see you are fine tuning yore life and getting to the place of absolute purity. I remember at Thanksgiving when my Aunt made all this Gourmet everything and I was sitting there with a salad. Everyone overate and crashed, I ate went on a long walk and felt great. I felt odd and different but know what there was leads to sickness and death. Happy Birthday cousin putting you and the family in the pure white light Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: May 08, 2007 03:36PM

happy birthday!

sorry it's been so tough.

check your pm.

peace-

Posted by: bluejaunte ()
Date: May 08, 2007 04:29PM

Happy b-day! Sorry your family isn't being supportive. When I first started on raw, my family was concerned about my health, and sometimes they showed it in strange ways. Eventually they saw I wasn't about to fall apart from lack of a "balanced diet", and the odd ways of showing their concern passed. Now they just roll with it, and both my mom and my sister are now incorporating more raw into their own lives. I hope that for your family, too, it just takes time.

Meanwhile, I say make your own cake. Dates + walnuts in a food processor, then molded into a cake, is much yum. You can add cacao or carob or coconut powder, but I like it best plain, or with just a dash of cinnamon. I know you said you're trying to cut back on the fats, but c'mon, it's your b-day!

Best of luck smiling smiley

Date: May 08, 2007 05:13PM

I think you should go back to cooked foods because it doesn't sound like your doing yourself any justice by going raw, life is too short to be so unhappy doing this.

Sounds to me that there's some other deep mental/emotional issues at play here too.

Juss ma 2 cents.

Date: May 08, 2007 05:17PM

Well, I went out, got some unprocessed rice and pinto beans from the health food store. I made some "raw salsa", rice, and beans and made a rice and bean burro with jalapeƱo. I broke down and used a teaspoon of olive oil in the beans when mashing them. Most places use Lard so I figure I'm doing better just avoiding animal products. Now I need to figure out the calories it gave me. That's going to be my cooked foods for the day or how many ever days I need to do to keep it at 80% raw.

The vegan burro made a big difference. I've been able to eat 16 oz of smoothie with no gagging. I'm not feeling weak and I'm eating fruit again and enjoying it. I've heard that unprocessed rice can negate some of the symptoms of detox. I guess it's true.

I still have to get to the library to pick up those books. I'm waiting on them to call me to let me know they're at the hold shelf. They have to pull it from the shelves I guess. I'll use these books to give me some ideas for when I have to eat non-raw.

Thanks for all the support and ideas.

[jugglingforjoy.com]

Date: May 08, 2007 05:21PM

wow F1 ..you dont seem like tha type to tell someone to just give it up and quit.. lol

Date: May 08, 2007 05:28PM

The Fruitarian One Wrote:
> I think you should go back to cooked foods because
> it doesn't sound like your doing yourself any
> justice by going raw, life is too short to be so
> unhappy doing this.
>
> Sounds to me that there's some other deep
> mental/emotional issues at play here too.
>
> Juss ma 2 cents.

wow! That's a blow to the support system. Were you happy going through detox or the emotional issues you posted in your blog about your family and friends giving you a hard time?

[jugglingforjoy.com]

Date: May 08, 2007 06:46PM

No I'm not gonna support you with making yourself sick.....I'm all for digging your heels in and going for it come what may but I've seen some people use their detox as a means to punish themselves due to emotional/mental issues they already were dealing with, going raw will highlight any emotional/mental issue you have and I would rather see people not do that because it's not good for them and it's not good for the raw lifestyle, at the end of the day none of us really knows what goes on behind the scenes and can only go off of what we read on the boards so if that doesn't apply to you then do what works for you.

But you said in your post that you had reached the point where you were gagging on your fruits/raw food and fainting, that doesn't sound good at all, I don't want to see you get yourself sick or so worked up with all of this, thinking you have to carry on, when all your doing is making yourself sick.

No I wasn't happy about going through my detox but I never gagged on my food, I never once fainted, I made it into a positive, I didn't complain about every ache or pain, I didn't didn't post every negative emotion I was experiencing at the time, I didn't focus on the negative....

No it wasn't always like that but I had to learn or else I would of gone back to cooked foods for good.

I'm not attacking you but if you want to take it that way that's your choice, I just want you to be happy doing what your doing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2007 06:55PM by The Fruitarian One.

Date: May 08, 2007 07:24PM

make sense .. sounded kinda harsh the first time lol ... i was like huh?? i thought someone mighta hacked yer account... as i said you dont come off as the quitting type lol

Date: May 08, 2007 07:55PM

I understand what you're saying f1 and I agree with some of it. Unfortunately not everyone is at the level you're at nor are they able to just bottle it up or ignore it. Letting things go isn't a silent task for some.

I used to drink, badly. Fortunately for me I had a great sponsor when I chose to quit. I could call him all hours of the night. We'd sit, he'd listen quietly. when I was done he'd slowly, politely start his encouragement. He wouldn't gloss over the bad parts, and he didn't sugar coat anything. He just encouraged me, sympathized with me in areas where he felt the same, helped me understand that I'm not alone, and offer suggestions and ideas to help me through the tough times. It worked great. I was able to use that experience and offer the same kind of help to others who came through the doors.

Some people don't like to look at the dependence on cooked foods as an addiction. Or if they do they want to gloss over the bad or not talk about it for fear of scaring away someone else or being a bad example. I know what my dependence is. It's an addiction on something that has a strong hold on me. I'm addicted to cooked foods. It's no one's fault but my own. None the less I'm still addicted. I need help kicking the habit of cooked foods.

When you say to just quit raw foods all together it's like telling me to start drinking again. The philosophy "don't talk about the bad" doesn't work for some.

My symptoms aren't pretty and my battle won't be rosy and sweet. What I'm hoping to achieve is a difficult thing for me because all the pushers of the drug I'm addicted to are sanctioned and promoted by society. I expect to overcome. I cannot do it alone. My family currently doesn't support my choice because they don't understand the addictive natures I battle every day (thank God they haven't experienced it). So I hope to obtain a good support system here, and if needed elsewhere also. I'm very grateful for all the encouragement and suggestions everyone posted to my note. Things like this help me re-evaluate myself and reconsider the options. I probably would have just quit again all together had I not found this website and received the invaluable support I have this past week plus.

I'm sorry if my posts aren't all positive or if someone doesn't like reading the negative. I tend to take things at face value in addition to basing things on my past experiences. I'm a logical person by nature. If the website is named "rawfoodsupport.com" and the captions say the site offers support, etc in converting to a raw food lifestyle then I guess I assume the site is to support people. As such I guess I assume it's ok to post the nitty gritty of my journey as well as the light and fluffy things everyone likes to hear.

In my life I've always found "raw" success stories that don't sugar coat everything to be more helpful. Someone who's gone through something bad and can write about it, and then discuss the success they had and the benefits of that success is far more beneficial to me than someone who's had zero problems or someone who doesn't share. I don't like that someone else goes through a tough time, but at the same time it helps me tremendously when someone who's already been there and seen it several times over can come up to me and be a support and help me through the crisis in my life.

This is what I understand a support site to be. If I'm mistaken or if it's not allowed to post the hardships I'm facing please let me know and I'll quit. My goal in posting during the hard times is to receive feedback that gives me ideas and suggestions as how to over come. If that's readjusting my diet and taking 5 to 6 months or so to transition then that's what I have to do. I'm not a good person at transitions though so I'll need extra support and extra help when it comes to that.

Going to raw foods isn't a choice for me. It's a necessity. I'm addicted to a powerful drug and I want support kicking the habit. Thanks to all of you who are providing that and tolerating my posts seeking it. It means a lot to me. Really.

To those who think I'm just whining about every ache and pain. I apologize. I don't want to offend anyone. I'm in this for me, however and the support I've received here has helped me make it this far. I hope it can continue to help me become a success in kicking the habit.

[jugglingforjoy.com]

Date: May 08, 2007 08:16PM

Who cares what I can do or what "level" I'm at or what I say, everybody has equal chance to do the best that they can do at any given moment, everybody here can relate to what your going through because at some point they have been through it for themselves, I don't think that anybody on this board thinks they are better than anyone else here, I wasn't attacking you, just replying to your post in which you stated you were gagging and fainting, I'm not going to support someone that sounds like they are getting themselves sick, I'm going to tell you like it is and be honest and not sugar coat it.... after all isn't that the kind of support you say you want?

If you drank heavily in your past then expect heavy symptoms of depression during your detox....do researched on detoxification, one thing I learned is that what you put in will come back to haunt you on it's way out and it won't be as nice as it was going in.

You need to be on guard for the negative emotions when they come because they will determine the outcome of your communication with others.

do what's best for you....

By the way happy birthday....

F1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2007 08:27PM by The Fruitarian One.

Date: May 08, 2007 08:18PM

The Fruitarian One Wrote:
> Who cares what I can do or what "level" I'm at or
> what I say, everybody has equal chance to do the
> best that they can do at any given moment,
> everybody here can relate to what your going
> through because at some point they have been
> through it for themselves, I don't think that
> anybody on this board thinks they are better than
> anyone else here, I wasn't attacking you, just
> replying to your post in which you stated you were
> gagging and fainting, I'm not going to support
> someone that sounds like they are getting
> themselves sick, I'm going to tell you like it is
> and be honest and not sugar coat it.... after all
> isn't that the kind of support you say you want?
>
> do what's best for you....
>
> By the way happy birthday....
>
> F1

I don't think you're attacking me. Please forgive me if it seems that way. I'm just posting why I have to do what I have to do.

I'm grateful for the concern and well wishes. and especially for the birthday wishes. Thank you.

[jugglingforjoy.com]

Date: May 08, 2007 08:29PM

What you do to get by is really none of my bizness, it just sounded like you were getting sick that's all....

F1

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables