Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Kombucha question
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 12, 2007 03:39AM

Hi there, long time reader, 1st time poster. I was curious as to what kombucha was so I went to our local co-op here in Boise and found a drink called Synergy, and is it supposed to be fizzy, my 5 year old says it tastes funny and my 4 year old who likes just about everything you give him didn't like it. To me, it almost had a beer like taste......is this what it is supposed to taste like? Thanks!
Kachina

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kombucha question
Date: May 12, 2007 06:47AM

yupyup, that's what it's suppose to taste like. hehee, well, because i'm a huge fan of vinigar, i just love the taste. it kind of tastes like vinigar soda for me=p but of course a healthy version of it. i heard people either love it or hate it. but then again, some people just grow to like it too=)

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 12, 2007 06:50AM

oh i am with your babies kachinia..haha i don't like it at al it tastes funny...i bought some once and about died when i tried it haha...but hey to each their own!!!! it is supposed to be so good for your health though....so if you like it drink it if not don't haha ..
love earthangel
xoxoxxoxo
ps it does have a small alcohol content in it from the fermentation but not a significant amount and can be sold to anyone of any age smiling smiley

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: quietgrrrl ()
Date: May 12, 2007 03:55PM

I just wanted to say that I know exactly which store you went to. I used to live in Boise.

And you know what? I'm really glad I left (no offense.) It's flamingly obvious to me now that Boise really didn't want me there.

And yeah, that's how Synergy tastes. I liken it to cheap wine. And this is probably a huge no-no, but I sometimes add a little liquid stevia to it to enhance the fruit flavor and dial down the vinegar flavor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2007 03:57PM by quietgrrrl.

Date: May 12, 2007 07:44PM

Ok, thanks for the response. I went to the website and they said that it ferments a little, but I didn't realize it would be that un-tasty.

Hey quietgrrrl, The only thing nice thing I can say about Boise is that it has beautiful scenery. We are getting a Whole Foods next year though.

Isnt it always the stuff that is the best for you tastes nasty? I was hoping to chug it through a straw, but it came out my nose! Oh, well.

Posted by: quietgrrrl ()
Date: May 12, 2007 11:42PM

I didn't even really like the scenery. Especially not in the areas outside town. It's too dry for me - I like lush, green climates.

That's good that you're getting a Whole Foods. I guess. The Co-op is decent, but in terms of raw foods and vegan foods, I think Whole Foods is better. I think the Co-op has more of a "gourmet" focus than an ethical-eating focus.

Ugh. I just had such a horrible time in Boise. I couldn't get a decent job, I didn't make any really good friends, and I was fat and miserable and depressed the whole time. I'm so glad I left. I'm about to finish a master's and my mom sent me a job posting for a position at Boise State. I told her I'd eat my own head before I'd move back there.

Date: May 13, 2007 04:27AM

May I ask generally why it is was so bad for you? I know for a city that touts tolerance, there is very little. I hate moving, so will probably stay, dumb reason huh? I would say in about 20 more years Boise will be a happenen place, but till then, cow tipping is the best form of entertainment! (this is a joke, I would never be brave enough to get near a cow, but I know a lot of people from small towns here in Idaho that really do it)

I go to BSU....have one more year! I am trying to lose weight and found this vegan site, to my suprise, my boys and I are 90% raw, since my 5 yr old wont eat meat and both of them like to eat most things raw......I cant remember the last time I bought and made them anything that needed to be cooked. Which brings me to the kombucha......I read about it on another thread and thought I would try it.....broaden my horizons.....now I'm not sure I will 'try' anything soon......

Posted by: vegcase ()
Date: May 15, 2007 07:30PM

I've been drinking GT's Kombucha! ( [www.gtskombucha.com] ) I find that it helps my cravings as I am trying to go raw... I was wondering if anyone has found any reason against drinking it? I only drink about 1 bottle a day but (minus the small alcohol content) is there any health issues I should be aware of for this drink?

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 16, 2007 04:30AM

Kombucha is typically made with refined white table sugar. Is this the kind of ingredient you want to consume?

Date: May 18, 2007 10:51AM

i have a question about drinking kombucha. i've been drinking this drink for the past week, and i'm starting to feel this weird "whole body soreness" immediately after i drink kombucha. does anyone know why this is? am i the only one experiencing this?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 18, 2007 05:21PM

from the site of Michael (thanks Michael hehe) [www.therawdiet.com]

124 Ways Sugar
Ruins Your Health

By Nancy Appleton, PhD

1. Sugar can suppress the immune system.

2. Sugar upsets the mineral relationships in the body.

3. Sugar can cause hyperactivity, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, and crankiness in children.

4. Sugar can produce a significant rise in triglycerides.

5. Sugar contributes to the reduction in defense against bacterial infection (infectious diseases).

6. Sugar causes a loss of tissue elasticity and function, the more sugar you eat the more elasticity and function you loose.

7. Sugar reduces high density lipoproteins.

8. Sugar leads to chromium deficiency.

9. Sugar leads to cancer of the breast, ovaries, prostate, and rectum.

10. Sugar can increase fasting levels of glucose.

11. Sugar causes copper deficiency.

12. Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.

13. Sugar can weaken eyesight.

14. Sugar raises the level of a neurotransmitters: dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine.

15. Sugar can cause hypoglycemia.

16. Sugar can produce an acidic digestive tract.

17. Sugar can cause a rapid rise of adrenaline levels in children.

18. Sugar malabsorption is frequent in patients with functional bowel disease.

19. Sugar can cause premature aging.

20. Sugar can lead to alcoholism.

21. Sugar can cause tooth decay.

22. Sugar contributes to obesity.

23. High intake of sugar increases the risk of Crohn's disease, and ulcerative colitis.

24. Sugar can cause changes frequently found in person with gastric or duodenal ulcers.

25. Sugar can cause arthritis.

26. Sugar can cause asthma.

27. Sugar greatly assists the uncontrolled growth of Candida Albicans (yeast infections).

28. Sugar can cause gallstones.

29. Sugar can cause heart disease.

30. Sugar can cause appendicitis.

31. Sugar can cause multiple sclerosis.

32. Sugar can cause hemorrhoids.

33. Sugar can cause varicose veins.

34. Sugar can elevate glucose and insulin responses in oral contraceptive users.

35. Sugar can lead to periodontal disease.

36. Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis.

37. Sugar contributes to saliva acidity.

38. Sugar can cause a decrease in insulin sensitivity.

39. Sugar can lower the amount of Vitamin E in the blood.

40. Sugar can decrease growth hormone.

41. Sugar can increase cholesterol.

42. Sugar can increase the systolic blood pressure.

43. Sugar can cause drowsiness and decreased activity in children.

44. High sugar intake increases advanced glycation end products (AGEs)(Sugar bound non- enzymatically to protein)

45. Sugar can interfere with the absorption of protein.

46. Sugar causes food allergies.

47. Sugar can contribute to diabetes.

48. Sugar can cause toxemia during pregnancy.

49. Sugar can contribute to eczema in children.

50. Sugar can cause cardiovascular disease.

51. Sugar can impair the structure of DNA

52. Sugar can change the structure of protein.

53. Sugar can make our skin age by changing the structure of collagen.

54. Sugar can cause cataracts.

55. Sugar can cause emphysema.

56. Sugar can cause atherosclerosis.

57. Sugar can promote an elevation of low density lipoproteins (LDL).

58. High sugar intake can impair the physiological homeostasis of many systems in the body.

59. Sugar lowers the enzymes ability to function.

60. Sugar intake is higher in people with Parkinson’s disease.

61. Sugar can cause a permanent altering the way the proteins act in the body.

62. Sugar can increase the size of the liver by making the liver cells divide.

63. Sugar can increase the amount of liver fat.

64. Sugar can increase kidney size and produce pathological changes in the kidney.

65. Sugar can damage the pancreas.

66. Sugar can increase the body's fluid retention.

67. Sugar is enemy #1 of the bowel movement.

68. Sugar can cause myopia (nearsightedness).

69. Sugar can compromise the lining of the capillaries.

70. Sugar can make the tendons more brittle.

71. Sugar can cause headaches, including migraine.

72. Sugar plays a role in pancreatic cancer in women.

73. Sugar can adversely affect school children's grades and cause learning disorders..

74. Sugar can cause an increase in delta, alpha, and theta brain waves.

75. Sugar can cause depression.

76. Sugar increases the risk of gastric cancer.

77. Sugar and cause dyspepsia (indigestion).

78. Sugar can increase your risk of getting gout.

79. Sugar can increase the levels of glucose in an oral glucose tolerance test over the ingestion of complex carbohydrates.

80. Sugar can increase the insulin responses in humans consuming high-sugar diets compared to low sugar diets.

81 High refined sugar diet reduces learning capacity.

82. Sugar can cause less effective functioning of two blood proteins, albumin, and lipoproteins, which may reduce the body’s ability to handle fat and cholesterol.

83. Sugar can contribute to Alzheimer’s disease.

84. Sugar can cause platelet adhesiveness.

85. Sugar can cause hormonal imbalance; some hormones become underactive and others become overactive.

86. Sugar can lead to the formation of kidney stones.

87. Sugar can lead to the hypothalamus to become highly sensitive to a large variety of stimuli.

88. Sugar can lead to dizziness.

89. Diets high in sugar can cause free radicals and oxidative stress.

90. High sucrose diets of subjects with peripheral vascular disease significantly increases platelet adhesion.

91. High sugar diet can lead to biliary tract cancer.

92. Sugar feeds cancer.

93. High sugar consumption of pregnant adolescents is associated with a twofold increased risk for delivering a small-for-gestational-age (SGA) infant.

94. High sugar consumption can lead to substantial decrease in gestation duration among adolescents.

95. Sugar slows food's travel time through the gastrointestinal tract.

96. Sugar increases the concentration of bile acids in stools and bacterial enzymes in the colon. This can modify bile to produce cancer-causing compounds and colon cancer.

97. Sugar increases estradiol (the most potent form of naturally occurring estrogen) in men.

98. Sugar combines and destroys phosphatase, an enzyme, which makes the process of digestion more dificult.

99. Sugar can be a risk factor of gallbladder cancer.

100. Sugar is an addictive substance.

101. Sugar can be intoxicating, similar to alcohol.

102. Sugar can exacerbate PMS.

103. Sugar given to premature babies can affect the amount of carbon dioxide they produce.

104. Decrease in sugar intake can increase emotional stability.

105. The body changes sugar into 2 to 5 times more fat in the bloodstream than it does starch.

106. The rapid absorption of sugar promotes excessive food intake in obese subjects.

107. Sugar can worsen the symptoms of children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

108. Sugar adversely affects urinary electrolyte composition.

109. Sugar can slow down the ability of the adrenal glands to function.

110. Sugar has the potential of inducing abnormal metabolic processes in a normal healthy individual and to promote chronic degenerative diseases.

111.. I.Vs (intravenous feedings) of sugar water can cut off oxygen to the brain.

112. High sucrose intake could be an important risk factor in lung cancer.

113. Sugar increases the risk of polio.

114. High sugar intake can cause epileptic seizures.

115. Sugar causes high blood pressure in obese people.

116. In Intensive Care Units: Limiting sugar saves lives.

117. Sugar may induce cell death.

118. Sugar may impair the physiological homeostasis of many systems in living organisms.

119. In juvenile rehabilitation camps, when children were put on a low sugar diet, there was a 44% drop in antisocial behavior.

120. Sugar can cause gastric cancer.

121. Sugar dehydrates newborns.

122. Sugar can cause gum disease.

123. Sugar increases the estradiol in young men.

124. Sugar can cause low birth-weight babies.

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2007 05:26PM by Jgunn.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 18, 2007 05:27PM

mangokiwi ...possibly the sugar is not agreeing with you smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables