Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

for earthangle
Posted by: tiffany ()
Date: May 12, 2007 09:27PM

hi earthangle... i was wondering if you could tell:

1. me more about how type 1 diabetes effects you and how fruit effects you
2. what your typical raw day looks like ( list of foods you ate over a normal 72 hour period
3. what ANY diabetic should know about the raw diet that you have learned

i don't have type 1 but i am HIGH risk for type 2... i have no problems eating LOTS Sof sweet fruit... yet.. lol...(not even sure what i should be looking for in that area) ( and YES i know i should go see a doctor if i am worried)

you can PM me or post here if you feel that it would better serve the community.. i KNNOW i cannot be the only one who has that question...

love and light tiffntwins

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: for earthangle
Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 12, 2007 11:20PM

hey there hun.....well i dont know if it will serve the community be here goes haha........ well lets see type 1 insulin dependant and where your pancreas does not make any insulin at all....where as type 2 is where your pancreas produces insulin regulary...but your body can't accept it into their cells...the insulin can't go into the cells because the cell is locked...and by fixing that problem with diet and exercise you creat a key that unlocks the cells and allows the insulin in to eat the sugar and get rid of it.....
type 1 is more severe because you can't go without your insulin or eat too much sugar or death can happen..where as with type 2 if you eat something sugary your bs will rise...but you won't got into DKA or diabetic ketoacidosis....because you have insulin in your body smiling smiley.....and your blood sugar won't go so low because your pancreas still works to manage the blood sugar...with type 1 the only treatment is insulin..with type 2 most of the time it can be first treated with diet and exercise sometimes a pill is needed (if not raw smiling smiley )so that is the main difference with the two types...

it effects me because no matter what i eat my blood sugar raises haha..fruits really raise it and i find msyelf needing more insulin with fruits...i have only been raw since january 24th of this year...and i am 100% raw...i eat mostly veggies with some fruit..no fats or nuts...an occasional avo or coconut but rarely....... hmm it depends on what day it is but i usually don't eat anything till around 1 or 2..sometimes though i have to eat early with my insulin..it controls my eating times.....and then i will have like a melon or some zucchini pasta or soemthing...then later for a snack i will have like 1/2 cup of baby carrots with fresh rosemary on them...then for dinner i will have like 2 zucchini turned into pasta and topped with fresh tomato sauce...or i will have some collard greens or kale or chard...and sometimes i just roll the leaves up and eat them..sometimes imake wraps with them using sprouts on the inside...i always have sprouts they are yummY!!!
hmm and then that is my basic few things i eat every day haha not much variety or difference...basic same thing..today i had some pineapple though..it just depends really.....but i do a lot of plain greens like collard greens..kale and chard...mostly kale and collards..i go through a thing or two a day of each...and i usually eat a head of spinach every day or every other day...and i go through a lot of sprouts each day i make my own....hmm i also make a zucchini hummus with zucchini garlic and fresh basil...and sometimes i add like 1/2 teasppon of tahini for a creamier texture...or else i just mix it up good in processor for a hummus like taste haha......
when i go to the store this is what i buy haha hope it helps:

Pounds of zucchini (use this 2 times a day sometimes...so i need alot)
pounds of tomatoes
lots of heads of collard and kale (go through a head or 2 a day
lots of spinach
a few cauliflowers (yummy cauliflower rice!!!!)
a grapefruit or melon if i feel like it...or sometimes a few mangos....i have bought cherries before....grapes...just depends really...not much fruit though..i was doing strawberries for a few days there for a while smiling smiley

i don't do nuts or seeds or fats..if i want an avo or coconut istop at the store to pick it up that day.......
hmm that is about it really....

the number one thing is that Type 1 and type 2 are two totally different disease that are similar in the fact it has to do with pancreas and insulin...but the way fruits will affect you is different in each person let alone in each type of diabetic....like some dont' get affected by things that are not high cars (grains...fruits....) but i am effected by EVERYTHINg...veggies raise my bs anything i put in my mouth does smiling smiley...even before crystal light and sugar free kool aid affected it....

i guess just follow what works for your body and stick with raw to help you..i am still trying to figure things out as my bs is still higher with fruits i am still taking insulin daily and dealing with it!!!

if you stick with raw and become healthy you are very likely to never have to worrry about the sugar or carb content in fruit because your body will be healthy and raw already without the disease that you won't suddenly get it..as long as you are doing what is right for your body...many type 2 get rid of their diabetes with raw and no longer have to worry about the high fruit.....
so good luck and let me know if you have any other questions...i wlil try to answer to my best ability!!
love earthangel
xoxxoxooxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: Howlingmoon ()
Date: May 13, 2007 04:03AM

Thank you for posting the info, EA. And thank you for asking the question, Tiffany. I know someone who's type 2, and I've been telling her about the raw food, and how good tis for you. I think she would benefit hugely by it, if she can control her blood sugar enough.

Howlingmoon "Moonie" Wolvespirit

Date: May 13, 2007 07:01AM

Your welcome hun..yes raw food would really benefit her...she could practically go all raw and not ven worry about her blood sugar and it would stable itself out
but ia m not advising just stating smiling smiley
love earthangel
xoxoxoxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 13, 2007 07:36PM

OOHHHHH i am SOOOO happy to hear that! i am HUGE borderline diabetic.. at least that is what they told me about 5 years ago.... except for fx leg i haven't been back to the doctor LOL....

oh EA thanks for answering!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 13, 2007 08:52PM

EA is cool smiling smiley

Date: May 14, 2007 06:04AM

thanks guys..and prob tiff...anytime to help someone out..but yes if they told you were borderline and you attack it right now with the raw foods you should be golden!!!
love earthangel
xoxoxoxox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 15, 2007 07:27AM

in case you skip over it still do take insulin smiling smiley
love earthangel
xoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: bluelight ()
Date: May 16, 2007 05:32AM

Wow. Earthangel that is huge willpower! eating plain lettuce like that rolled up. I saw you mentioned that in another post and I was gonna comment but it was old. I found years ago when I dropped meat I started to crave the healthier foods and eating stuff like fast food just got gross. Is there a same sort of leap with raw where you crave plain greens with spouts?
This might be old news to you folks but I saw recently a ad somewhere for a documentary coming out/maybe it was a tv show???, where they took people with diabetes and had them go all RAW at a retreat. I think in AZ?? for a few months and all their health improved completely. With some of them I think the diabetes vanished! I wish i could remember more info, but good stuff.

Date: May 16, 2007 09:52AM

Hey bluelight....hmm i am not sure..yeah i used to eat greens in smoothies...then started eating them in a salad with braggs sprayed on greens with nothing else...then i started just rolling the greens up and eating them...and sometimes i put sprouts in there and roll them up..i love sprouts though..even before going raw i lvoed them hha..i would buy like 5 boxes at a time and would eat like one or two for a meal...then when i started raw i started growing my own and eat them whenever but lvoe them!!!!!
i have only been raw since jan.24 of this year haha so i am pretty new too!!
i am excited to see the documentary....it is going to be good to watch!! yeah i know i read they had some diabetics that were in there that is awesome..i am not sure if any type 1's were in there but i still want to see it to see how well everyone did!!
well good luck to you!!
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxoxx
ps if you want to get more greens in and don't want to do them so plain use collard green leaves and use them as wraps for pates...or hummus or anything you like smiling smiley it helps tastes good and gets the yummy greens in smiling smiley

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 16, 2007 02:35PM

not to sound weird.. but i too can eat a WHOLE box of organic salad with NOTHING on it... it is SOOO good... i can feel the minerals and nutrietns being mashed bymy teeth... ohhh it is sooo good... i LOVE plain greens......

Love and Light

Tiffntwins

`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

SWIM FREE FISHES!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 17, 2007 01:44PM

Hi everybodysmiling smiley Yes that documentary is a big part of why I am here and trying this lifestylesmiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smiley If you do a search 30 days raw you should be able to find the clip plus the place they went to is Tree of Life in AZ you can find their site by that name and it gives a summary as to the docsmiling smiley There were two type 1's there and one is OFF insulin the other is down to 5 units a day!!!!! I am type 1 as well and am sooooooo excited about the opportunity to increase my health and feel amazing with just the little bit that I have done so far! I would LOVE to go to the center myself but it is so far out of reach of my budget!!! But what great info there is on the internet and I am trying to get my hands on the homestudy program.

Date: May 18, 2007 09:12AM

Hey there exciting to hear about that!!! i need to find out the damage on their pancreas how long they were diagnosed before going raw and what not!!! i would love to find out more on this...someone on this board said it is easier with newly diagnosed or people's pancrease that stillmight have life i don't quite know what that means but that is awesom!!! i have been raw since january 24th of this year 100% the only non raw thing i have had is on two seperate occasions i was like 99% raw cuz i ate a vegan patty!!! but other then that completely 100% and i still take insulin..less then before but a lot more then 5 units..that seems odd..does she take long acting and short?? or just one shot of 5 of long acting..i take lantus and humulin r!!!
well i would love to chat more about your experience too!!
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 18, 2007 01:41PM

Hi theresmiling smiley I will try to find out all I can about their history, I want so badly to see the entire movie!! The type 1's, if I remember correctly, were that way for at least a decade!! My guess is probably long acting also and I would also guess for overnight, because during the day you would be able to be active and excercise. I am on the pump, so I only take humalog r, I love the pump!! The diet they follow there is more specifically designed for diabetics, more restrictive than anything I have done. They really restrict fruits!! I have a couple of the books by the person who runs the center and in one of them the way they have their recipe's ranked puts them in categories that show their effect on blood sugar levels. I sooooo want to go to this actual center where they went because they have a diabetic boot camp, if you will, that you go through with a medical team and it lasts for the 30 days but it is so cost prohibitive!!!!!sad smiley I wish that particular center had a homestudy program!!

Date: May 30, 2007 01:41AM

that is awesome..thanks rasberry!! sorry i didn't post sooner this one got bumped so fast with new ones i didn't have a chance to see you replied!! that is awesome news though..hmm the pump i wanted that for so long but now that i am doing raw i think since i take less i want to ween off of insulin or take such small amounts that i am not fighting for the pump right now smiling smiley
let me know how things are going!! good luck hun
love earthangel
xoxoxoox

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables