Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

i got carotenemia since going raw
Posted by: Lukkraw ()
Date: May 13, 2007 09:56PM

ive been eating a lot of naartjies since going raw. every1 said i look sick and my mother kept asking me why i look yellow. well i went to the doc and i have carotenemia. that is when your blood carotene levels are too high. its not dangerous but ur skin becomes yellow. im blond so its very noticeable. i look awful now and it will take a few months to get back to normal. now im sticking to green food till im normal again. it really sucks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: i got carotenemia since going raw
Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 13, 2007 11:45PM

hey there aww sorry to hear that..yeah you have to be careful haha!!! a friend of mine on this site drank so much carrot juice she turned orangish too!!!
take care and good luck
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: May 14, 2007 12:02AM

I heard a theory about that saying that the yellow colour was actually bile pulled from the liver by the vitamin A in the carrots, or something like that.

How did they test you for blood carotene levels and why would it take so long to dispel the situation, cuz..... if it was carrot-caused it should go away much faster.....

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 14, 2007 12:53AM

its called the "bronze tan"
and if you just slightly tweak your perspective you can see it as having
"enviably tan looking skin" ( hee hee)

HOT!!

Posted by: Elakti ()
Date: May 14, 2007 02:40AM

Hi.

Norman Walker, who was a big proponent of juicing (and who lived a long time), extols the virtue of carrot juice, particularly. It seems to be the juice that most people drink the most of. Walker says that this carrotty colour (he says "sheen"winking smiley actually has nothing to do with the carotene in the carrot, that if you drank the same amount of any vegetable juice, the same colour would show up on your skin. Like, it is a coincidence that carrots are the most drunk in large quantities and that they are orange. Walker says that the orange tint to the skin shows the cleansing of the liver. The vegetable juices cleanse the liver so much that the elimination is too much for intestines and the excess of the material clogging the liver is passed into the lymph and then through the skin. It is the colour of the elimination, not the carrot per se.

It does make sense. He says it is just as impossible for the pigment of carotene to come through the skin as it would be for the pigment of chlorophyll to come through the skin. He says that in time the discoloration would disappear as the liver is cleansed.

I sure don't know, but I thought I'd pass this on to you. Myself, I'd give more credence to Walker than an M.D. La_Veronigue says the same thing Walker says -- it's a suntan sheen. Walker says it's much better to have the carrot suntan than pasty congested liver complexion.

How do you feel?

-Elakti

Posted by: Lukkraw ()
Date: May 14, 2007 04:07AM

You don't understand. it does not look like a tan. It looks like I am sick. It's weird. I feel normal because carotenemia does not affect your health. I dont know about it being toxins from the liver. I basically lived off of Naartjies, almonds and green smoothies. But mostly the naartjies. They were like all my 3 meals with the almonds and smoothies as a snack.

I was wondering why every1 was talking about rosie cheecks when they are raw and my previously rosie cheeck went away. it was quite a bummer.

But tomorrow I am gonna get a haircut and cut a huge fringe over my face so just my mouth and nose stick out lol untill i look normal again Haha

but I think it makes sense that if you eat highly pigmented foods that it would affect you. Like people whos urine looks like blood when they eat a lot of beets.

hehe

anyway ill tell you when i look healthy again.

Date: May 14, 2007 05:26AM

I think everyone is just trying to help you feel more comfortable about your skin colour - I would be concerned to see it on me, so can imagine how you feel.

But the bile theory makes sense - beets only show in my urine for a little while and this carrot affliction is said to take weeks or months to get rid of. Jaundice takes that long too and has to do with liver and bile excretion. I think one day in the future doctors and others will wonder how the medicos of today could have believed that carrots caused the skin to tint for months, like jaundice.

Date: May 14, 2007 05:44AM

Hi i have heard a theory by a raw foodist on this forum that the beets don't affect the color of the urine ina cleansed non toxic body...say someone who has been 100% for a while...so there is a thought on more of it being a detox and cleansing thing smiling smiley
take care
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 14, 2007 06:19AM

earthangel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi i have heard a theory by a raw foodist on this
> forum that the beets don't affect the color of the
> urine ina cleansed non toxic body...say someone
> who has been 100% for a while...so there is a
> thought on more of it being a detox and cleansing
> thing smiling smiley
> take care
> love earthangel
> xoxoxoxoxo

Interesting to hear that - probably lots of things are different for a really clean healthy person than what most of us experience so I guess we all have a lot to look forward to.

Date: May 14, 2007 06:20AM

so soo true!!!!
thanks for that insight on it!!
love earthangel
xoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: May 14, 2007 12:10PM

I got pretty tan and I already have olive skin, but it's noticably yellowy. I think mine is from papayas.

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: May 14, 2007 01:53PM

If it were bile/detox, then it would be more widespread among fasters and raw foodies.

A friend of mine who drank lots of carrot juice turned yellow, too, and he also ate junk food when his wife wasn't looking (that's another story!)

Anyhow, I think it's pigment from the veggies, not detox.

Posted by: bluelight ()
Date: May 14, 2007 04:23PM

Hey
this is wild. Do you have any pictures of what it looks like. I'm just curious from a medical point. Not that I'm a doc., but the body is cool. I looked on the web and couldn't find a pic. Everyone said it was "harmless" , you mentioned, so I guess you just have to look sick. Good luck with the fringe baby! Maybe you should just make a shirt that says "I ate too many Naartjies"!!!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 14, 2007 04:30PM

bluelight theres some pics here
[www.dermnet.org.nz]

theyre not very good but gives you an idea smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: tiffany ()
Date: May 14, 2007 04:44PM

i remember when i was a kid, i stopped drinking ANY soda cause i wondered where all that color (dark brown) went.... i was afraid to think it was getting stuckc in my body..

now it makes sense..

Love and Light

Tiffntwins

`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

SWIM FREE FISHES!

Posted by: jj2011 ()
Date: July 27, 2012 06:37PM

Hi Lukkraw (),

I found this old post and not sure whether you still check with site.

Recently, my skin just like what you describe and very yellow.

Just curious, did your skin color change after you stop naartjies?

Can you share?

Thank you very much!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables