Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

IBS advice
Posted by: selenes512 ()
Date: May 13, 2007 11:03PM

Hi Everybody!

I have been raw on and off for a couple of years, now 100% (basically) raw. I have had IBS with constipation forever, and used to take a lot of laxatives. I have found that raw foods help with the constipation, and its a big part of why I became a raw foodist. However, whenever I eat, whether its raw or cooked, I get very bloated. I could have an apple and then bloat up uncomfortabley for the rest of the day. After I eat, my stomach gets noticeably bigger. Do you have any advice on this? Colon cleanse maybe? Just stick to the raw foods and hope it gets better? I mostly avoid dried fruit because that really gives me problems, but I still eat some in salads etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: IBS advice
Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 13, 2007 11:17PM

H ithere....what is your fat intake like?? that can cause constant bloat..and also i know you said most things..but apples make me bloat bad too..and i have seen many people say that...so i usually make an applesauce if using them or throwing them in my smoothies....and the big thing that could be it is food combining...are you using it?? that causes bloating bad...if you use fruits and fast or fruits and vegggies together...or too close together...so maybe check into food combing it really has helped me with bloatedness..and i notice if i ever don't follow the rules i am sick and bloated and puffy!!
good luck hope this helps
i can send you some good book ideas to get if you want
let me know
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 13, 2007 11:23PM

Here is what ought to help:

Eat more easy to digest (for you) fruits and vegetables. These contain soluble fibers, which are healthful to an irritated digestive system.

Try eating more simply. If your digestive system is acting up and not cooperating, try eating mono, or if that is too much to digest, perhaps look at fasting until the symptoms disappear.

Avoid insoluble fibers, the hard and sharp fibers found in seeds and grains and nuts, as insoluble fibers can irritate a sensitive digestive system.

While your digestion is acting up, perhaps eat no overt fats until your digestion is running smoothly.

Check out David Klein's website at [www.colitis-crohns.com]. I also recommend his book Self Healing Colitis & Crohn's.

If your digestive system is sensitive or irritated, this would not be a great time to have a colonic, as this could make it further irritated.

Date: May 14, 2007 12:37AM

Thank you guys! Earthangel, I would love to know any books that you recommend. Bryan, could you explain to me better what eating mono is? I have also recently tried to do a fast, but I found myself getting too irritable and fighting with my boyfriend too much. I would really like to try a 10 day water fast though, so any tips you have on that would be appreciated (especially avoiding a nasty mood). Thanks!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 14, 2007 12:58AM

You can read about Food Combining and Mono Eating. These techniques help with food digestion, with mono-eating being the most easy to digest form of food combining. Or actually, it is the absence of combining food. If you practice these principles, you will end up with less or no bloat.

Some fruits that are high in pectin, specifically apples and pears, are a bit harder to digest than other fruits.

Here are some articles on fasting:

Introduction To Fasting
When To Employ Fasting
How To Preside Over A Fast
How To Break A Fast

Date: May 14, 2007 01:11AM

Thanks for the info! I am going to start trying mono eating at each meal, and see if my digestion improves. I eat a lot of apples, maybe I should try some other fruits instead. I want to get really informed before I try to do another fast, so those links you gave me are great!

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: May 14, 2007 01:25AM

Hi selenes512,

If you're not getting some kind of regular strenuous exercise, you might try that and see if it helps.

Of course exercise is not often recommended during fasting, expecially during a water fast.

Posted by: Lemure ()
Date: May 14, 2007 06:21PM

My best friend had IBS, then it progressed to colitis, then to crohns. He did the scdiet and was completely cured. That diet is great, I did it with him for many years, off and on. (Specific Carbohydrate diet.) It limits the type of carbohydrates you can have to only ones that are 100% digestable allowing your insides to heal - and it fits pretty easily with eating raw foods.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 14, 2007 06:23PM

thanks for those links Bryan i stumbled onto that site about 2 weeks ago and wow is there a ton of info there lol

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: diana ()
Date: May 15, 2007 01:27PM

Hello...I too bloat when I consume apples, which I wish wouldn't happen because I LOVE THEM so much...and because I live in Northern Pennsylvania and I can get them locally...our indiginous fruit list isn't that lengthy here...I have started to grate them or blend them (just a tad) to help my body with the digestive process...also I have found that eating mono meals does help...especially with (although not indiginous to Northern PA) yummy bananas...Diana...

PS...Brian that information you posted was greatly appreciated...THANKS...

Posted by: serinokt ()
Date: May 15, 2007 11:00PM

I have had IBS for a long time with the exact same issues. I recently went for my furst colon cleanse and what a differnce! I totally recommend it. I have had 2 in the past 2 weeks. I am going again this week. Proably doing a series of 6.

This diet I am following right now is helping so much! I feel great and no bloat...
Eat and drink everything very slow! The juice helps alot!

Before noon: 1-2 navel oranges
Around 1:30: Green juice-cucumber,kale, spinach, celery,lemon
Around 2:30: salad of red peppers, cucumber, tomato, radish, zucchni, yellow squash, lime juice on top

5:30-apple eaten very slowly, maybe blended

8:00-green juice-
salad with a little tiny piece of avocado

I also take digestive enzymes.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables