Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Will raw diet make you anemic?
Posted by: Hopebetter ()
Date: May 14, 2007 07:59PM

Hi all,

Will eating raw make you anemic? Can you suggest foods that high in iron?

thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Will raw diet make you anemic?
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 14, 2007 08:43PM

if yuor getting enough greens and fruits there shouldnt be any reason to get anemic ... smiling smiley

parsely, spinach, beet greens, broccoli, swiss chard, asparagus

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: May 14, 2007 10:01PM

i ate raw with no supplements and had very high iron levels (between 13 and 15) even right after giving birth, which is a time when many women who eat 'healthy' still get anemic.

it's the processed foods that leach things from your body that can affect anemia. spinach and other veggies have kept me pretty good for a long time. but when i want spinach, i got out and get it.

peace-

Posted by: Monark ()
Date: May 15, 2007 12:25AM

Watermelon is also high in iron. Getting iron is not too much of a problem. There are different kinds of anemia though - the one raw foodies need to keep in mind is B12 deficiency anemia - the body stores about a 5-6 year supply of B12, but after that you may need to supplement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read the fre*e e-book :
101 Ways to Change the World for Animals
[www.mypowermall.com]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Own your own Power Mall, over 1000 stores - completely FRE*E
Receive rebates on items you already buy anyway....
[www.mypowermall.com]

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: May 15, 2007 02:03AM

I eat sprouted sesame seeds and sprouted sunflower seeds for iron and calcium. You can check www.nutritiondata.com to see which foods have a concentrated supply of iron. You can enter foods there individually and check their iron content, or you can search foods high in iron. If you search foods high in iron, note that you have the option to check by calorie count or by weight in grams. I suggest you check both by calorie and by gram to get the most accurate picture.

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 15, 2007 07:16AM

Hi there...i was anemic before going raw...but i have felt better and not felt as bad as i used to from the anemia...i have not gotten an update but last time i checked whcih was november of 2006..i was at a 6-7 dont remember which and you should be 12-15 so iw as really low but don't feel it!! i will be having a blood test soon so i will let you know what it says..but ia m not worried i am sure i am fine now smiling smiley
love earthangel
xoxoxoxxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: May 15, 2007 01:51PM

Hi,

Thanks for all replied and your sharing. I am anemic and iron deficiency in my blood due to my period. The doctor told me that only red meat and liver has high iron which is absorted by the body. He asked me to take iron pills but I am stillnot taking it. My iron count is about 11.

Thank you.

Date: May 15, 2007 02:01PM

what is your daily food intake like though Hopebetter? Most doctors are gonna say that ... thats what theyre taught.. most .. not all

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 15, 2007 02:05PM

I've read on this forum so many times that doctors are not educated in nutrition. You could be more knowledgable than your doctor when it comes to nutrition. I think they are educated in sounding like they know everything.

Date: May 15, 2007 02:13PM

Jodi,

I told my doctor I eat most vegetables and fruits for my daily meal and the doctor said that that's why you are anemic as you do not eat red meats...I am not toally raw yet...

Date: May 15, 2007 03:13PM

if that were the case then wouldnt everyone who doesnt eat carcasses suffer from anemia ? i know tons of vegans, vegetarians , a few rawfoodies and none suffer from anemia

what is a typical days menu look like?

the reason im askng is .. i could today for example .. eat 1 apple, 1 orange, and 1 banana and say hey ! im 100% raw today !!! woo woo !!

.. but if i tried to eat that everday for a month im pretty sure i would lose alot of weight and get sick because thats just not a whole lotta volume of food.. certainly not enough to sustain *my* body

im pretty doubtfull that RAW foods are causing your anemia .. RAW foods dont cause anemia, poor nutrition can cause anemia, im guessing that youre not getting anywhere near the volume off raw foods that you should be getting to sustain *you* ... so your body is feeding off itself

just a thought smiling smiley

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: May 15, 2007 03:13PM

i HATED meat while pregnant. i refused to eat it as it made me sick. the docs felt for this reason that they needed to check my iron frequently, as i ate nothing that was 'supplemented' with iron (wheat products, cereals, etc.) but every test came out with great levels.

i didn't know about watermelon, but i eat a ton of that when it is in season. i always eat oil with my veggies, which i've read can help with nutrient absorption (i just do it b/c i love olive oil), i never even worried about trying to calculate it, i did eat a LOT of seeds and nuts then though. that might have helped. lately i haven't, but i am still far from anemic.

i do boil my water in a cast iron pot. that might help. and i eat a lot of greens. i was anemic as a teenager, but my diet was far more 'normal' then, even including red meat, so i don't know.

peace-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables