Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

blue green algae and spirulina
Posted by: serinokt ()
Date: May 15, 2007 10:47PM

I have been 100% raw for about 3 weeks. I have recently begun adding blue green algae and spirulina into my diet. I am only using a small amount and am experiencing bad headaches. I am very sensitive to stimulants. Does anyone alse expereince this or have any advice? Do I continue to use them, and the headaches will eventually go away or is a sign to stop?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blue green algae and spirulina
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 15, 2007 10:56PM

It sounds like a sign to stop for me. I am very sensitive also, and if any food I eat gives me a headache, I don't eat it any more. You can get enough nutrients eating fruits and vegetables without having to eat algae or spirulina.

Date: May 15, 2007 11:01PM

Thanks, I think your right.

Date: May 15, 2007 11:02PM

Any thoughts on getting Omega-3's just eating fruits and veggies?

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 15, 2007 11:38PM

The issue with omega-3 is getting the right balance with omega-6. Most people eating the standard western diet are eating too many omega-6s. This is because a lot of the overt fats are high in omega-6, low in omega-3s. As a raw foodist, if you don't eat too many overt fats, fruits and vegetables are naturally balanced in their omega-6/omega-3 ratios. So there is no danger of omega-3 imbalance if you are eating fruits and vegetables without a lot of overt fats.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: June 10, 2007 10:00AM

I agree with Bryan

Posted by: Seren ()
Date: June 10, 2007 09:57PM

I would be cautious of the spirulina. When I was told about my b12 anemia I started taking it. When I started learning more about nutrition I came across alot of speculation about how spirulina can actualy make a lack of b12 (however extreme) worse. I was also cautioned by a R. Dietician. I wish I could find some info for you right now but am in a hurry. It may just be speculation but better safe than sorry. smiling smiley

Posted by: zenpawn ()
Date: June 10, 2007 10:12PM

Queuing up for that info, Seren, when you get a chance. smiling smiley Thanks.

-Erin
Raw Done Light
dogma-free RAW
Gazpacho For The Soul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables