Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Relationship with no raw fooder? guess not
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 16, 2007 05:46AM

Hi All

Being Raw Fooder turns life up-side-down. At least that how it is in my case. I started eating differently, thinking about life differently and in the end living in different manner.
But I got some worries. There aren't many people living this way. I think I couldn't settle down with a person who isn't raw fooder. Of course I may hope to convince somebody to live "my way" but...

If you can please share with me your experiences.

Niuli
High and dry smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Relationship with no raw fooder? guess not
Posted by: jono ()
Date: May 16, 2007 07:52AM

I wouldn't worry, there are many health minded, nature loving, and raw in spirit individuals out there who don't necessarily adhere to a raw diet.

People can live perfectly healthy lives on a partially cooked diet. Just as important as diet are exercise and a positive attitude.

That said, it'd be nice to find with someone who shared (or was willing to explore) your diet philosophies, you could probably save some money on food anyway smiling smiley

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 16, 2007 09:45AM

Hi there...don't worry about so much about them being strictly raw and adhering to all the same principles..especially cuz there are so many differnt angles and ways to go on raw within the raw world..mostly veggie...mostly fruit..high fat...low fat...mostly juices..mostly smoothies.....food combing...eating whatever whenever......and eating 100% or 80% or whatever ...as long as you find someone open and willing to try or think about your lifestyle..or has a mind set that is a healthy one of diet and exercise like state above...you will be fine...if you have someone you truly love and they truly love you it will all work out just fine!!! don't stress too much..nature will find you someone worthy!!
take care
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 16, 2007 11:53AM

You're right guys smiling smiley

I'm really optimistic person, but from time to time I just get tired with explaining people what my diet is, how it works and why I find food like Coke just trash.

In place I live people do not take healthy nutrition seriouslyy, they think 'sooner or later we all gonna die, so why to bother with healthy diet?'

Lonesome knight.. trying to open people's eyes for all the natural goodies.. that's how I feel.

Have any of you succeded in changing partner habits into healthy ones? winking smiley

Niuli

High and dry smiling smiley

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 16, 2007 12:46PM

I did. When my husband and I met we were both SAD. Eventually I went vegetarian because I didn't want to eat animals. My husband ate a lot less meat after that. I started cutting out unhealthy things little by little like artificial crap and hormone milk, especially for the kids. When my husband turned 40 6 years ago he had an eye opening health problem and started eating much healthier. Last year when I researched raw and wanted to do it I said I couldn't do it if the rest of the family didn't join me and he said let's all do it. He is so much thinner and healthier (it really shows the older you are) he says he will never go back.

Posted by: ferg ()
Date: May 16, 2007 12:58PM

I hear you. Since becoming a raw foodist a year ago, I have changed so much. The thing is my husband of 11 years is still continuing to eat junk food, drink beer, smoke cigars... Even before I became raw, I was very health concious--I was a vegetarian for 12 years and really never ate fast food. But my husbands way of life never bothered me until I became raw. Now, I watch him abuse his body and I honestly don't know what I can do to help him. I love him but also need him to respect his body more, if you kwim. He doesn't see anything odd about what he is doing but he thinks that I've totally flipped my lid. So, what do I do? I keep thinking that in 20 years he will be in such bad shape if he doesn't change his way of eating.

Good luck finding someone on the same path. There are many health-concious people out there; I do not know hwere you live; but most cities have health/vegetarian events you can go to. Just hang out in the right places and you'll meet lots!!!

Posted by: diana ()
Date: May 16, 2007 01:05PM

My boyfriend is not raw yet he eats what I prepare provided he enjoys it...otherwise he supports my endevors with this way of eating...and primarily anything else that I attempt to do...I find all of his other qualities surpass his not being raw...He is very much aware of the health benefits of a raw diet...yet he does not have any currant health problems...and I must say considering we are in our 40's we are doing pretty darn good...anyway...It would be great if he were raw but it doesn't define our relationship...Our ability to accept each others individuality does...Diana

Posted by: KelBel ()
Date: May 16, 2007 01:41PM

I was the first to go raw in my relationship. Both my boyfriend and I were SAD. It didn't take long for him to want to try what I was doing. I never once pressured him to try anything. I thought it would be too extreme for him. Now if I get a craving for something bad, he'll be the one to keep me on track. We are both raw foodists now.

KelBel

Date: May 16, 2007 01:55PM

Ferg-One thing I used to think about is not wanting to be in great shape in my 6o's taking care of a broken down man who chose to abuse his body. I took care of my invalid father and I fully know what that means. Although I never pushed my husband in any way to change his diet I reminded him I wasn't going to pay for his poor choices. In a marriage your choices affect eachother. Also I wasn't patient with his cranky SAD behavior. The rest of the family was feeling good with low stress and eating healthy while he was coming home tired and grumpy. I let him know I wasn't happy with that and if he didn't find some way to make his life worth living I would leave. I don't know if that influenced him but it was a BIG deal for me. He chose to change his diet and excersize 8 months ago and it changed his life. His attitude is tops and his job, health and family life has become almost magically great. My husband will be 62 when our youngest is 18 and I want to have fun after that. I am just telling my personal story and in no way suggesting anything for you.

Posted by: bronwynsun ()
Date: May 16, 2007 02:59PM

My boyfriend is a new vegetarian, he went veggie just before i met him (a few months ago.) He loves my raw foods though, together we eat fruits and salads and veggies with dips...I'm really happen that he accepts my choices and is happy that way.

Posted by: ferg ()
Date: May 16, 2007 03:22PM

pakd4fun, I've had the big talk with my husband too; he is 40 now, still young enough not to feel the effects of his SAD consumption; but I really worry for him and he doesn't seem to care; his motto is "we're here for a good time, not a long time". He is happy to eat healthy when I am preparing dinner but its when he goes out for lunch (daily) that he eats fast food. Hopefully, it will sink in with him before it is too late. I know he would feel so much better too if he just did even 60% raw... but it's like smoking, you have to want to quit.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: May 16, 2007 04:01PM

ferg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> his
> motto is "we're here for a good time, not a long
> time".

Yeah but the difficult slide down the health platform makes even a short time miserable - I know from experience.

People may say things like that, but usually they never suffered from disease - once they do, that cavalier attitude can change overnight.

Posted by: Berlinpathos ()
Date: May 16, 2007 06:58PM

My boyfriend (of a year this coming Saturday!) JUST became a vegetarian. He also quit smoking as of May 1st, and he was a smoker for seven years.
Really, you just love a person for who they are, and if you value consciousness of health, then you'll eventually find another raw foodist or vegan.
If you find someone who doesn't know or care about their health and you love them anyway, they you'll both rub off on each other in positive ways.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: May 16, 2007 11:36PM

I'm happy being single. But what I figure is whatever guy (if) I end up with, it will be someone who is at least somewhat like me.. health conscious and would be openminded to the idea of raw and read up on it and be smart enough to realize it does make sense. Even if they didn't go 100% raw but were willing to eat mostly raw would be fine with me.

The type of guy who eats Mcdonalds and whatever other common gross SAD type thing isn't someone I want to be with anyways or probably wouldn't have anything in common with to even bother. Even if they're hot, it would just totally be a turn off for me. Besides, when I'm over 30, I want someone who can get up and go do something even just go for a walk, not have to take a nap first as they sleep off their SAD junk. LOL A lot of Italians in my family and they eat their stupid high carb, gross food and think it's normal to "nap" after dinner. I never want a guy like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2007 11:37PM by LikeItOrNot.

Posted by: meow ()
Date: May 17, 2007 12:44AM

maybe i'm strange in that i don't have a problem w/ non-raw or non-vegan/veggie people that i'm dating. the guy i've been w/ off and on for 3 years now is a total meat-eater, beer-drinker, and he even smokes on occassion (which i most definitely don't like but i don't nag, as it's his body, not mine). there's something kind of freeing about being w/ a guy who doesn't care about what he puts in his mouth. maybe this is coming from my experience w/ eating disorders in the past, but when i've been in relationships w/ guys who watch what they eat, weigh themselves frequently, talk about food and their bodies, and work out obsessively, i just end up feeling really awkward. i'm more attracted to a "guy's guy" who doesn't care so much.

that said, i still want someone who can keep up with me on a long hike, and i definitely couldn't be w/ someone who hit the drive-through 4 times a week. maybe i'm not thinking in the long-term yet and that's why i feel the way i do. or maybe it's b/c i'm young and everyone i know is still healthy (or they appear to be so) despite what they put in their bodies. but i try to just keep my diet to myself and worry about my own health and let the other person deal with his, since i've found that nagging only makes others close their minds to what you're trying to get them to do. i guess i'd rather lead by example and then they can choose to follow or not.

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: May 17, 2007 01:04AM

<the guy i've been w/ off and on for 3 years now is a total meat-eater, beer-drinker, and he even smokes on occassion (which i most definitely don't like but i don't nag, as it's his body, not mine). there's something kind of freeing about being w/ a guy who doesn't care about what he puts in his mouth.>

I've been that guy before and yes, it was fun to just "let loose" and "have fun," however I learned the hard way that there are laws in Nature and the Universe, and there are consequences when one does not live in harmony with those laws.

<i guess i'd rather lead by example and then they can choose to follow or not.>

Awesome. This is IMO the best attitude one can have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2007 01:06AM by learningtofly.

Date: May 17, 2007 01:45AM

I totally think people shouldn't nag someone to be who they want them to be. When you are married for years and have children you grow and change and it is somewhat important to be on the same page and continue to live the same type of lifestyle. This is important for the relationship and for the children. My husband still eats meat but rarely and only healthier seafood. It is a his choice amd he is happy to be feeling the benefits at 46. It is important to make your feelings and what you will and will not live with known, all the while staying clear of nagging. I think it's important to live the life you want to live. We only get one chance at it.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: May 17, 2007 02:13AM

there IS something kind of freeing about being with someone who doesn't care about what he/she puts in his/her mouth because that IS a type of freedom. The raw food issue comes into play when we are dwelling on that. we want THAT freedom, Its a conflict in our consciousness..hard to let it go. once we do...total health and total freedom smiling smiley

you can't argue with the 'why bothers'. Certainly a valid point of view, except if YOU have a reason to 'bother' then..why bother

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: May 17, 2007 02:57AM

My experience is that I can easily live with someone who is very health conscious about what they eat, but it's soooo hard when they are "typical" eaters. I have also discovered that the kind of consciousness it takes to be someone who is really into being very careful about what they eat is the only kind of person that is truly compatible with me (in the sense of a romantic partner). Does that make for slim pickins? When you are 53 years old like me, YES....!!!!!!! However I think folks in their 20s are going to find more and more raw foodists, vegans and the like around...well, moreso than in my generation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables