Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Don't want to lose more weight. Help?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 19, 2007 06:15PM

Hi everyone,

I'm new to these forums and have just recently made up my mind to be a raw foodist this summer, after I'm finished with my second year of college.

*****(Skip the following if you don't have time)*****
However, I'm a bit concerned I'll lose too much weight. Growing up, I had always been underweight (I think this may have to do with all the inhalers/asthma medications I took). Gradually through high school, I weaned myself off the inhalers and started gaining weight, however I'm still not sure if it's because of the inhalers or if it was just because I it was my natural process of growing older. Anyway, the summer before college, I was still sick of being skinny so I ate fast food around 4 times a week (I know... I know. This was before I knew about how dangerous fast food was, at that time I was quite ignorant and thought that the worst it could was make me gain weight, which was exactly what I wanted).

Recently, I've decided to become a raw foodist (for various reasons, including to help heal my insomnia and depression naturally). I've been eating more healthier these past few months, and already my friends are commenting on how I'm not eating enough, and how I am losing too much weight.
****End skip*****

Now that I want to be a raw foodist, I'm afraid I'll lose evem more weight and be that little skinny self that I was back in high school. Would it be enough to eat avocados and coconuts to equate to the same weight I was before (ie. the weight I was when I ate too much junk food?). I know this is an odd predicament, but I've always been "too skinny" and I am just afraid that even though I'll be more healthy, I won't be happy with my body.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Don't want to lose more weight. Help?
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: May 19, 2007 06:46PM

Jasmine,

Be who you are. Don't live up to "standardized" charts which are bogus anyway.

When I first came to the US, I was skinny and my adopted mother started to feed me sugared water. You can imagine how I ballooned. Anyway, since that point, I've been fighting with my weight. I want to be myself, again.

You already are. Don't mess with your identity through a perceived lie.

I read an article about Keira Knightley and how she tried to avoid being the model that anorexic people used as "thin". She started eating bad food to gain weight. Then she realized that she had to be who she was. If others thought her too thin and misused her image, that was their doing. It was their problem. The writer of the article, instead of empathisizing with Keira was caustic and jealous since she put Keira down for complaining about how her shoulder photos were being used as the idealized version of thinness. Obviously, that woman has never had her image misused/idealized for a "poster" by very ill people.

On RAW, you will lose some weight. You will likely gain some of it back. Don't worry about your weight unless you have some illness or are overweight.

Good luck.
Therese

Posted by: treflur ()
Date: May 29, 2007 08:16PM

Well, you can eat dates and alvocados. Those are good. They say raw dates are great for skinnies.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: May 30, 2007 02:49PM

Calories and exercise is key which I'm sure you've heard before.

A SAD diet has trouble getting calories down, a raw foodist has trouble getting the calories. You need to eat and be active without question.

Stay away from too many avocados and other fatty foods. These don't put weight on. In fact, too much can have the opposite effect. Lower the fat intake and bump up the carbs and maintain protein. Blend your food, such as bananas to get more down if that helps?

Posted by: rrraw ()
Date: May 30, 2007 03:58PM

There is a thing as "too skinny"? Is it true?

Have you stopped to think about the fact that you can never be too skinny to be you. You have the perfect body for you to be you in this moment.

I'm afraid I'll lose evem more weight and be that little skinny self that I was back in high school.

When you write like that dear, it appears that it's not really a health problem on a physical level that you have, it's the thought of what that would be like, to have the same body as you had in high school. Is there something from that period that you're not comfortable with? You may want to take a look at that.

Also, can you really know that it's true that you will be that skinny again or that it is even possible? You can't know.

However, can you know that that's not best for you anyway? People on the raw diet, especially 811 (maximun 10% fat eaten from calories), balance their body weight to the health level they thrive on. Eating more avocados etc. is a classic example of how people want to compromise their health because they think that something else is more important i.e. running away from going back to something they want to avoid.

Ofcorse, you have to run away from it if you don't have any tools to take care of it. So what would it mean to be that skinny again? No matter what would happen in your life, if you were completely at peace with it, are you ok? You have to be. you're at peace. So that means you don't have to focus on the way you look anymore- go inside. Don't believe me on this one sweetie, this is meditation.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2007 04:09PM by rrraw.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables