Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

just a few questions (soaking nuts, allergies, extreme weight loss)
Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: May 19, 2007 06:46PM

Hi yall,

I just have a few questions:

a) Do you soak your almonds and seeds (sunflower, sesame)? why is this done?

I know people peel the skin of their almonds before blending them up, I find this can take quite a long long time. I do find that my throats itches for a few minutes after drink my unpeeled almond milk.

b) I went from a fit and muscular 182 lbs to a skinny 144 lbs in 6 months. Everyone who has known me are shocked at my appearance. I just don't want my body to be catabolic and eating away itself. My typical daily diet is:
- 1 Avocado
- 2 apples
- 2 bananas
- 5 sticks of celery
- 1 bunch of green or romain lettuce
- a hand full of nuts and seeds

Is this enough for an active male?

c) What is pollen allergy? is it the body going through a detox?

Thanks for listening!

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: just a few questions (soaking nuts, allergies, extreme weight loss)
Posted by: tiffany ()
Date: May 19, 2007 06:52PM

flex4life is beautiful!

sorry i dont have any answers for your questions... lol

Love and Light

Tiffntwins

`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

SWIM FREE FISHES!

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: May 19, 2007 07:00PM

flex4life Wrote:

>
> b) I went from a fit and muscular 182 lbs to a
> skinny 144 lbs in 6 months. Everyone who has known
> me are shocked at my appearance. I just don't want
> my body to be catabolic and eating away itself. My
> typical daily diet is:
> - 1 Avocado
> - 2 apples
> - 2 bananas
> - 5 sticks of celery
> - 1 bunch of green or romain lettuce
> - a hand full of nuts and seeds
>
> Is this enough for an active male?
>

have you computed your calories - the above looks very low to me.

F1 shrunk down like you have and then built himself up again.
so did i.

but you may or may not get up to the same weight.

just know that you need to keep working hard (when you have energy to do so)
and also know that it's better to be healthy and a bit skinnier .

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: May 19, 2007 08:00PM

yeah, I think pretty much one will lose and lose and lose until the body is done with its own agenda of healing. This isn't something you have control over, in fact in my experience its the first opportunity to express/feel-out true patience and dicipline. getting to a level of physical fitness on SWD was one type..this is certainly another.

One DOES have control of regulating their detox so that they are most comfortable...theres quite a few threads here on that. To me your diet certainly seems really low on calories, but I thought you mentioned before on how you function fine energeticlly etc. Certainly I think if one is comfortable, eating as little as possible will speed along your bodies healing. They say eating denser things will keep weight on..I always struggled with this concept myself and perfered to eat simple and lighter and watched the pounds fly (anxiously at first). Theres certainly alot of conventional medical stuff about losing weght too rapidly...some of this might have some truth to it. I would try adding more calories (fruit) and keeping the denser things towards the end of the day, eating larger meals and not grazing as much. maybe alternating days with no over fats to continue speeding things along just enough but keeping the density in the diet.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: May 19, 2007 08:01PM

Nuts and seeds are soaked to remove enzyme inhibitors nature provides to prevent premature sprouting, and so soaked nuts and seeds have more bioavailable enzymes. They are more easily digested soaked too and are more hydrating to the body. And once you soak your almonds for a day or so the skins slide off much easier for peeling.

I'd agree with fresh that you may need to eat more. I'd recommend more calorie dense fruits such as mango, papaya and pineapple, and maybe a tad more nuts and seeds, and butters made from these.

I'd have to agree with Tiff in saying that you are a beautiful man. We wouldn't want to see you waste away.

stay in touch,

khale

Date: May 19, 2007 08:04PM

>> I just don't want my body to be catabolic and eating away itself.

IMO this would only happen if one is stirring up wastes but not eliminating it, for some this results in weight gain..others its major loss and inability to put on weight.

some would suggest water fasting. Personally I think one should not eschew things like juicing/hydrotherapy as unnatural adjuncts, and I would suggest looking into that as well.

Date: May 19, 2007 08:20PM

I think the seed soaking thing is pretty much a myth. As a general rule, all nuts and seeds shelled and sitting on a shelf, certainly if their skins are even slighly chips in the shelling process, as with nut butters, wouldn't be enzyme active to begin with, even if you can get the nut to sprout. soaking addes a bit of water content to the nut, making it a bit easier on digestion. I'm not suggesting you do not eat nuts/seeds for this reason. in fact they would be most dense raw thing to add to your diet, and just because something isn't enzyme-active or whatever doesn't make it toxic, like with heated nuts.

also, wanted to give my support on your peers responses to you weight...can't expect others to understand your commitment to ideas and concepts outside of their current experience and motivations.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 19, 2007 08:28PM

I agree with Anaken about the myth of soaking/sprouting seeds. However, soaking does take a dehydrated seed and hydrates it, which just that by itself helps it digest, as the water doesn't need to be robbed from the body. For for me, I like the texture of dry seeds and nuts, so I don't bother to soak them.

Posted by: bronwynsun ()
Date: May 19, 2007 10:51PM

i agree with the girls that you are a beautiful man! smiling smiley

but that DEFINITELY does not sound like enough to eat. That food would probably be about half of what I eat, and I'm a small female (though very active)

Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: May 20, 2007 01:37AM

Thanks for the replies yall, everyone is greatly appreciated smiling smiley

I didn't realise that sweet fruit would give me so many more calories and the whole nuts/seeds soaking is making alot more sense to me now.

bronwynsun, that is shocking news to me, hmmm seems like I just have a small appetite and will have to make a few adjustments. I remember eating alot more when I used to wake up earlier, by noon I would already have had 3 meals and thats more then what I eat in an entire day now! Thanks, this realisation has helped me immensely.

Have an awesome night yall, peace!

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables