Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Celebrating a Raw birthday...?
Posted by: vegcase ()
Date: May 20, 2007 11:46PM

My boyfriend's birthday is upcoming and I am nervous.... about Cake! Haha... well that and all the other birthday goodies that might be involved. I do not want to be surrounded by non-raw temptations.... I would love to prepare something, but since I have only recently started eating raw I haven't got any recipe books yet, but more importantly, I wouldn't want to make just ANYTHING because it might take a lot of trial and error to find something great (and will take a lot of time- I'll save that for later).
That is why I am asking if anyone has a trustworthy recipe for some kind of "GOODIE"- be it anything that people can enjoy at a birthday gathering and that I can be proud to present even to non-rawers. Maybe you have had a birthday before that you put something special together?
Thanks for the help!
;-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Celebrating a Raw birthday...?
Posted by: tamu ()
Date: May 21, 2007 12:41AM

What fun, raw cake making is the best! I'd love to help out but i need a little info first. Are you thinking to make someting quite simple, or are you feeling adventurous? What kind of kitchen equipment do you have? Something fruity, chocolatey, creamy....? cheesecake, carrot cake, choc cake? sorry, i'm making this complicated now! There are just so many delicious raw cakes to make! xox

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
my blog [http://www.therawkitchen.co.uk]

Date: May 21, 2007 01:13AM

Wow! I didn't realize I had all those options... Haha. Well I think it would be nice if it did not take TOO long, but I do not necessarily need it to be "simple" =) Chocolate is always nice seeing as I have had NONE in so long! (but I heard that Carob powder was not good for you?) Besides that I love rich tasting, creamy, fruity, but not too horribly "Bad" for you... Haha I guess that makes it challenging. Also I generally do not like cheesecake (but I have not tried a raw version) and I try not to rely too much on oils. HE doesn't care for nuts, but if they are sparse it should be fine.
Maybe chocolatey or fruity is the best way to go...
As for equipment I have a processor and a blender.
=) thanks so much!

Date: May 21, 2007 01:44PM

ok....so a chocolate cake with no nuts...do you have some raw chocolate powder you can use? Carob powder compliments chocolate, and you can also substitute the carob for chocolate, good for sweetening too if you don't want to rely heavily on things like dried fruit and agave for sweetening.
I prefer to use sesame seeds and dried coconut (which is not strictly raw), rather than nuts, in cakes.
Here's a recipe I've been developing and everyone loves:
(sorry it's in grams!)
150g dried coconut
150g sesame (hulled)
300g carob powder
150g choc powder
150g walnuts
handful of dried sour cherries
1 vanilla pod
pinch of salt
4T tahini
2T agave
lemon juice
water

Grind up coconut and sesame seeds to a powder (in blender if it's powerful enough). Add carob powder, choc powder, pinch of quality salt, vanilla essence or seeds from the pod and chopped cherries. Process all of the walnuts til chunky and add 100g to dry ingredients. Then add tahini, agave and the juice of 1/2 lemon to the dry ingredients and stir in. This part is equivalent to rubbing the butter into the flour in conventional cake making! You will need to add water (about a cup?) and keep rubbing in the tahini until the mixture resembles moist cake crumbs. When it does, press into cake tin with a loose bottom and refrigerate.

You can make a cream by blending up 1 cup almonds or cashews (soaked) with ¾ cup water, 1 Tablespoon agave or some soaked dates to sweeten (optional) and a vanilla pod. If you add a tablespoon or so of coconut butter the cream will thicken and set well (this is optional).....Refrigerate to allow it to thicken up before spreading on cake.
Pop cake out of tin, spread the cream on the top and sides. Then press remaining walnuts around the edge of the cake.
decorate as your heart desires!
xxxx

~~~~~~~~~~~~
my blog [www.therawkitchen.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 21, 2007 03:09PM

someone posted this under raw birthday party in the recipe section heres the link to it [www.rawfoodsupport.com]

smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: tiffany ()
Date: May 21, 2007 03:22PM

my birthday is may 28th and we will not be at home.. we will be at friends.. so yeah... i am worried too.. but i am able to eat things for the social benefit and not suffer terribly......

i will be praying about this and ask for grace in the situation.... good luck all

Love and Light

Tiffntwins

`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

SWIM FREE FISHES!

Date: May 21, 2007 07:11PM

Thank you everyone! Thank you Tamu, I am definitely going to go buy those ingredients... the only one I am unfamiliar with is a vanilla "pod".. is this easy to find in a health food store? I've only ever bought vanilla extract so this is new to me.
But it looks like a winner recipe and I am excited to try it out!!!
=)

Date: May 21, 2007 08:11PM

a vanilla pod is the same as a vanilla bean, but you can substitute vanilla essence. Let me know how it goes! Also, if you can get hold of lucuma, that's really good in the cake, just substitute it for some of the carob powder.
xoxox

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[www.therawkitchen.blogspot.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables