Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

bloating ... what makes you bloat?
Posted by: vegcase ()
Date: May 22, 2007 07:28PM

I usually assume it is the result of improper food combining. Recently I had a salad that included tomatoes and avocados (which I have always loved together)... but 2 days in a row this meal resulted in major bloating and stomach discomfort. I had thought that tomatoes and avocados are both (technically) fruit? Is this incorrect?

Other than the above question I am interested in hearing what foods make other people bloat? I know its different for everyone, but I think it might help to know. Does anyone else have this experience with avocados or tomatoes? Or some other particular food?

=)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bloating ... what makes you bloat?
Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: May 22, 2007 08:11PM

i hav this 2 even tho iluv the taste,, it sux :[

Posted by: Berlinpathos ()
Date: May 22, 2007 08:42PM

Tomatoes should be eaten alone, but I believe you can eat avocadoes with other fruits, except for nuts.

Posted by: Azura Skye ()
Date: May 22, 2007 09:34PM

argh i hate bloating - nuts and fruit do it for me : (((

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: May 23, 2007 08:09PM

I think lack of exercise plays a major role in bloating.

Is that a funny word or what?!

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: May 23, 2007 09:05PM

eating dried fruit and drinking water at the same time. the nice thing is, you know it'll go away in a half an hour, and your beautiful raw body will be right there again.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 23, 2007 09:28PM

cucumber bloats me unless i eat it alone lol

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: CherryBlossom ()
Date: May 24, 2007 02:54AM

I get really bloated when I eat Bananas and other Starchy foods, Potatoes..

I know some raw food restaurants don't serve "Starchy things" at all..

I guess they are not considered optimal for your health.

Posted by: jono ()
Date: May 24, 2007 03:41AM

One cause of bloating may be mineral deficiency. Minerals are needed for many enzymes to function, including digestive enzymes.

For example, amylase is an enzyme responsible for breaking down starches into smaller sugar molecules.

Amylase is a metalloenzyme produced in the saliva and pancreas, and it requires calcium in order to function.

Thus, a calcium deficient diet (common among raw fooders) may result in bloating when starchy foods are eaten.

The bloating results when the body cannot breakdown the starch on its own, so then microbes break it down through fermentation and in the process produce CO2 and other gaseous compounds.

I could recommend a great source of calcium but then I would be banned for mentioning it (its NOT milk by the way, pm me if interested).

Whole grains like oats are great sources of minerals, especially if grown organically. Unfortunately, they are starchy so a calcium deficient person may have trouble digesting them.

Posted by: CherryBlossom ()
Date: May 24, 2007 05:59PM

Thank for this information Jono! I heard sesame seeds are high in calcium.
I also just bought a Vulvic Mineral Complex (Liquid) with Calcium and Magnesium. Hope that will help too, although I don't think it can be considered raw.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: May 24, 2007 06:57PM

That's very interesting information Jono.

Another great source of calcium is brown (unhulled) sesame seeds. 1/4 cup of brown sesame seeds has more calcium that a whole cup of milk.

Posted by: treflur ()
Date: May 29, 2007 07:50PM

Not resting after a meal makes me bloat sometimes. Like if I get up and run around. Also - desert. Desert is really a big trick I think.I am giving up desert. I am sort of curious about how people will react. Will they get hostile when I say "no thank you" or will it just pass by...whoa...give me luck

smiling smiley

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: May 29, 2007 09:37PM

Carbonation, fermentation, eating too much, eating most cooked foods, water retention are some of the things that make be bloat.

Love,
Prism

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables