Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Tahini help!
Posted by: Miss Joan ()
Date: May 23, 2007 08:58PM

I keep hearing how good Tahini salad dressing is. I bought a jar from WF but I don't think it's raw. It's the WF 365 brand. I looked today at a good local health food store and they had several brands but none were raw. All had been roasted. Is is possible to make it on my own? Can someone give me a recipe for this?

I've been trying to do 100% raw since starting the 7 Weeks Raw Diet except I had sushi for lunch one day, and vegetarian chili at Wild Oats another lunch. Next time I'll remember to get sashimi. I love that just as much!

I was invited to my favorite Mexican restaurant tonight and I declined. I'm not going to think about it. I've lost 3# and don't want to mess things up. I got into my favorite jeans today that I usually have to jump up and down or lay on the bed to button and zip! LOL

Joan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2007 08:59PM by Miss Joan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tahini help!
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 23, 2007 09:03PM

it says to cook the seeds so im not sure i f you can just skip that part and just crush them as is .. give it a try smiling smiley

Making Your Own Homemade Tahini
By Crystal
Takeaways
Tahini is also known as sesame paste.
Tahini is the binder used in all hummus.
Tahini is a popular 'health food' binder. Tahini, also known as sesame paste, is most popular for its use in hummus. As it becomes more mainstream, it is being introduced into a variety of dishes. For instance, it can be used as a sauce on many steamed veggies. It adds a delicate, but nutty taste to everything it is added to. However, why buy it in the deli section when you can make your own for much cheaper? Let’s explore how to make your own homemade tahini.
First of all, let us talk about equipment:

· Skillet (lightly greased cast iron) or nonstick

· You will need a food processor or blender to pulverize the seeds. Or, if you are a proponent of manual labor, use a mortar and pestle. It will take longer, but it can be done. I have even known someone to place the seeds into a bag and crush the bag with weights. Either way, you need something to turn the seeds into a flour-like consistency.

· You will need spatula or fork and a bowl. A wooden or rubber spatula is preferred.

· That’s it for equipment and/or utensils. Nothing fancy here.

Now, let us go forward to the ingredients. Tahini is made from sesame seeds. Since I am a proponent of organic foods, I try to purchase organic whenever possible. So, purchase some organic sesame seeds. More and more mainstream supermarkets (or grocery stores) are selling sesame seeds in bulk. The sesame seeds are usually located near the bulk foods nuts section. Many times they are sold in the ‘natural foods’ or ‘health foods’ section of stores. The price is cheaper than the prepackaged variety. By buying in bulk, you can control the amount you want. Plus, you do not have to pay for packaging, labeling, or a brand name. However, if you do not want to buy in bulk, simply buy some prepackaged sesame seeds.

Here are the ingredients you will need to make your own homemade tahini,
Or..the recipe for Tahini (Sesame Paste) Serves 4

1 T soybean oil
2 T water
1 T lime or lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T oregano, chopped
1 T sesame seeds

1. Place sesame seeds into preheated nonstick skillet and cook over medium heat until lightly brown (roasted). This usually takes about 5 minutes. Stir constantly to prevent burning. When done, remove from pan onto paper towel, set aside to cool.
2. When done, place seeds into blender/food processor and process for about 30 seconds until floury texture results.
Of course, if using a mortar and pestle it will take longer than 30 seconds. It’ll be a few minutes.
3. Add liquid, garlic, and oregano. Puree and/or blend until smooth and of desired consistency..

Store in airtight container in refrigerator.

Nutrition Facts:
Nutrition (per serving): 61.1 calories; 81% calories from fat; 5.7g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 1.0mg sodium; 47.3mg potassium; 2.4g carbohydrates; 1.0g fiber; 0.1g sugar; 1.3g net carbohydrates; 1.0g protein.

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2007 09:07PM by Jgunn.

Date: May 23, 2007 09:05PM

[www.fishinghurts.com]

vegan forum here you wont be able to discuss sushi and sashimi hun

far as mexican goes ... call ahead to the restuarant an tell em what your diet is all about there is no reason for them not to whip something up for you smiling smiley

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: May 23, 2007 09:09PM

If you just get some sesame seeds and grind them up in a nut/seed mill or coffee grinder, it doesn't quite make tahini, but it is close enough, especially if you are then going to use it in a recipe.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Re: Tahini
Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: May 23, 2007 09:24PM

Speaking of tahini, for those who purchase it already made, Whole Foods is recalling at least one of its tahini products, per this article.

According to this Canadian site, apparently Maranatha did or is is doing the same there.

Wishing you vibrant health

Date: May 24, 2007 12:01AM

Jodi, THX SO MUCH! By heating is it still considered OK in our raw food diet? I noticed all the Tahini jars were "roasted sesame seeds." Does it matter if they're hulled or unhulled? Have you ever made a salad dressing with Tahini?

Thx again. You're the best!

Joan

Joan

Date: May 24, 2007 12:33AM

If you cook the sesame seeds, then they are no longer raw!

Unhulled sesame seeds are a lot more nutritious, specifically they have a lot more calcium.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw

Date: May 24, 2007 01:38AM

Thx! Unhulled are the ones I bought. I'll grind them to a powder and go from there.

Thx again.

Joan

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 24, 2007 08:04AM

Hey joan...yes it does matter dear..non cooked is what we are going for smiling smiley...the ones that are roasted are a no no....and jodi suggested using the receipes and just omitting the cooked process good luck!!!
i would just grind them finely in the coffee grinder!!
good luck
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: tamu ()
Date: May 24, 2007 08:39AM

there is some advantage to the hulled seeds i remember reading about....maybe there is oxalic acid in the hulls or something that prevents calcium absorption? Can anybody clarify?
thanks smiling smiley

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[www.therawkitchen.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: May 24, 2007 08:54AM

Consider it (Tahini) guilty (cooked) until proved innocent (raw). smiling smiley

If something is raw, they make a big deal of it on the label. Most of the ones on the shelf are cooked except for a few brands that SAY in HUGE words RAW because they want to get the attention of the raw foodist.

I finally tasted a cooked date a few weeks ago. I wouldn't have noticed the diffence a year ago, but the date had a completely diffent taste, then the ones I've had for a long time. I bought them at Trader Joes by the way, and they gave me a refund.

Pretty soon, you get real keen on tasting the difference and you will know right when you eat something. Not that I'm the raw/cooked taste queen or anything. smiling smiley

Date: May 24, 2007 04:39PM

Thx everyone for the info. I'm going to take back the Tahini paste I got from WF's. It's their brand which is roasted and mechanically hulled organic sesame seeds. Sounds like a no-no to me now. I know I'm still clueless but believe it or not I've learned a lot since starting the 7 Weeks Raw Diet. When I go back to WF's (unfortunately an hour away) I'll read every label and be sure to stay away from the Maranatha brand.

Pistachio, thx for the heads up on the Tahini paste. I went on the Canadian website you mentioned. Is that a site you use for food recalls or is there another?

I was 100% again yesterday. So was my husband. I still feel great when I get up to make him a smoothie and lunch to take to the office but within an hour I crash and sleep on and off until 11ish. I feel like such a slug! I haven't exercised yetsad smiley

Everyone have a great day.

Joan

Posted by: Berlinpathos ()
Date: May 24, 2007 04:58PM

Maranatha brand, which Wild Oats and Whole Foods should carry, has a raw tahini.

Date: May 24, 2007 07:11PM

Thx!! Berlinpathos. However, Maranatha brand has a recall right now. There's possible contamination so I'll search for another brand.
Have a great day!

Joan

Date: May 24, 2007 07:17PM

honestly id just try making your own without the cooking it just seems to me the actual toasting is just to do just that ..toast it .. it should work just fine with out the toasting smiling smiley

come on i wanna know if it works ! =p

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: May 24, 2007 07:40PM

Pistachio, thx for the heads up on the Tahini paste. I went on the Canadian website you mentioned. Is that a site you use for food recalls or is there another?

The recall was mentioned on an ABC affiliate tv station. The FDA's site, fda.gov, also lists some recalls, but I didn't see the current tahini recall there.

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: anna_elle ()
Date: May 24, 2007 08:13PM

Hi Miss Joan,

I buy Raw Law Tahini. I don't know if it's organic cause I can't read most of the label as it seems to be written in arabic. It is imported from Lebanon and it contains NO titanium. My husband and I eat about 1kg per week. We buy it from a local Mediterranean specialty store. I think it costs around $8 Cdn.

If you are going to make your own, I suggest adding some raw sesame(or canola/something with a neutral taste) oil before you grind the seeds to make it smooth and creamy.

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: May 24, 2007 08:55PM

oooooooooooorrrrr you could simply soak a bunch of sesame seeds like I do for a couple hours and then throw them in the food processor.. if you want it more runny just ad some sesame oil.

Imported and jarred tahini like that is NOT RAWWWW! but if it works.. go with it. Their raw simply means it's not roasted. They heat the jars to get them to seal.

Posted by: diana ()
Date: May 24, 2007 10:02PM

I've soaked the seeds also...the moisture from the soak is usually enough to hold everything together after they are ground...this is true for sunnies and pumpkin seeds when you make seed butters...YUMMY...

Date: May 25, 2007 08:47PM

Thx for the Tahini info everyone. I like the idea to soak the seeds, then grind and add a bit of oil. Now --- what ingredients do I add to make a salad dressing. What other things can I do with Tahini? (by the way, why is it called Tahini?) Thanks for all the input! Miss Joan

Joan

Date: May 25, 2007 08:51PM

It's from Arabic, see [en.wikipedia.org] (I can't copy and paste because the Arabic characters get messed up)

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw

Date: May 25, 2007 09:55PM

Thx. Rob. That was an informative website.

Joan

Posted by: YogaLee ()
Date: May 26, 2007 02:05AM

You could always "roast" the sesame seeds in a dehydrator.

Doesn't quite get to "cooked" status, but would bring out the taste of the seeds.

Posted by: Cecilia Ines ()
Date: May 28, 2007 02:42AM

FYI all unhulled seasame seeds are heated, so I'm not sure there is a really raw tahini. I would just order it online, there are a few good brands. Living Tree Community and [www.premieroranics.org]
Good luck,
Cecilia

For Your Free Raw Food Starter Guide E-book Go To:
[www.rawglow.com]

Let your inner glow shine!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables