Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Failed with Spaghetti Squash..? Any help
Posted by: vegcase ()
Date: May 24, 2007 04:09AM

Hello all... This is for anybody that knows their squashes =).
I bought a spaghetti squash. It was big and light yellow colored. I cut it open and took out the seeds and mushy stuff. (It looks like a pumpkin inside! Reminds me of carving pumpkins at halloween!) ... Anyway, I used a fork to try to grate out some strings, but nothing "stringy" came of it! I got no "noodles"!!! And the small pieces that grated out from the fork were just little pieces, almost the consistency of shaved coconut...AND they tasted like nothing! They were crunchy! And almst tasted like co-slaw without anything on it. Just cruncy little pieces with no taste... no "noodles"... I was sooo disappointed! I had to eat some fruit instead of my planned "spaghetti".
WHAT WENT WRONG??? I was thinking that maybe the squash was not ripe yet?! OR maybe I just didn't dig down deep enough into the flesh!? no idea... Anyone?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Failed with Spaghetti Squash..? Any help
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 24, 2007 11:00AM

i give up

how does one help with failed spaghetti squash?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2007 11:13AM by la_veronique.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: May 24, 2007 12:02PM

spaghetti squash won't "spaghetti" unless it's cooked sweetheart.

most of the spaghetti eaten around here is made from spiralizing or grating fresh zucchini into "noodles".

sorry about your failed dinner,

khale

Posted by: dream earth ()
Date: May 24, 2007 02:24PM

Yeah, try some of the softer summer squashes that are in season right now; use a vegetable peeler and you will get nice, long noodles. When butternut squash is in season (in the fall-winter) you could use that as well; but spaghetti squash is unfortunately pretty flavorless and sad as a raw food (I know because I made the mistake of buying on once right after I went raw, too.)

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 24, 2007 02:49PM

yep it needs to be cooked far as i know ..but it is yummy cooked ..and still vegan .. its kinda gotta nutty flavor and it really does make sketti type noodles lol smiling smiley i used it quite a bit over the years to get over my pasta addiction ... although it was cooked .. my sauce was raw

whatever works for you smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: tiffany ()
Date: May 24, 2007 03:13PM

i love all squashed and i love them cooked too..... i am not too fond of any of the squashes raw, i have yet to try to use zucchini as noodles as i havent' yet seen a sauce recipe i really liked....

but it sounds good, next to a big plate of salard....

Love and Light

Tiffntwins

`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

SWIM FREE FISHES!

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: May 24, 2007 03:45PM

vegcase Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I cut it open and took out the
> seeds and mushy stuff.

The seeds and mushy stuff are the only parts of a squash I like to eat.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 24, 2007 03:45PM

My two year old son ate ( I kid you not) somewhere around 15 medium sized bowls of angel hair zucchini "pasta" the night before last. I should have taken a pic of that big messy tummy.

I was passing by spaghetti squash the other and day and wondered if it could be "noodles." Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Posted by: grapefruit ()
Date: May 24, 2007 04:23PM

Zucchini pasta with raw pesto, cherry tomatoes and pine nuts is one of my faaavorite raw dishes. Even my cooked BF loves it!!

Posted by: Miss Joan ()
Date: May 24, 2007 05:14PM

Tiffany, I made angel hair spaghetti for the first time so I don't know if I'll like other recipes better, but this one tasted good. Here's what I did:

With spiral slicer I sliced zucchini and yellow squash. I combined them in a bowl and spritzed with a little Braggs and touch of EVOO. (a tip from Earthangel) For the sauce you need:

1C sun dried tomatoes soaked in 1C water until soft (30 min) W/SOAKING WATER
1C chopped fresh tomatoes (I added more)
1/2C chopped carrots
3T olive oil
2T minced fresh oregano
2T nama shoyu (I can't find that so EA suggested a dash of Braggs)
1tsp fresh rosemary minced
1/2tsp fresh thyme
1-2 cloves of garlic chopped fine

Put all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. If the liquid from
the sundried tomatoes isn't enough you can add more water.

My husband just called. I gave him that for lunch and asked how he liked it. He loved it. He said he just wished he had more noodles. This is coming from a picky, junk food lover! He's doing so great and so far loves everything! I give him a small amount of raw peanuts or some other kind of nuts and sno peas and snap peas for in between snacks. So far he's been true blue and very satisfied. He's also very tired and got light headed once, but it's week 2 so we're hoping this will pass soon.

Have a great day and hope this recipe is something you might like. I think the fresh organic herbs (which I have growing on the deck in containers) make all the difference in the taste of things.

Joan

Posted by: vegcase ()
Date: May 24, 2007 06:26PM

Looks like I am going to have to buy zucchini now!! Since it appears to be a favorite RAW pasta alternative! =) I might just have to cook the spaghetti squash I have sitting in my fridge =(.... Oh well at least I learned a good raw lesson... hehe
Thanks for the recipes and your help!

ps: To grapefruit- What raw pesto do you use? Sounds great, do you have a recipe?

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: May 24, 2007 07:52PM

grapefruit,

I like it like that, too. Yum!

Date: May 24, 2007 08:39PM

I haven't purchased a spiralizer yet and I haven't the patience for grating the long "noodles", hence I haven't had "pasta" yet.

Can you guys recommend the best tool for making the angel hair? I'm having visions of a raw lo mein.

thanks,

khale

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: May 24, 2007 08:50PM

I like raw squashes in salads wiht a tahini dressing.. yummy stuff

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: May 25, 2007 01:13AM

Khale,

I like the Benriner best. I have a Spirooli and the rubber feet wore out and now it's next to useless. And I've tried the Saladacco and that is really awkward to use, don't like it at all. YMMV.

Date: May 25, 2007 01:34AM

thanks greenie, I'll check it out.

khale

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables