Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Acidity - Please help
Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: May 25, 2007 04:21PM

Dear all,

I am new to the forum. I 've been on raw food diet like for two months, I had two mojor "Colds" detox. After that I felt so good. Fow two or three days now, I have bad acidity and stomach discomfort. Could this also be detox.

I have always had acidity. But as soon as I went on this raw diet, I had no problem. Could something be wrong.

Here are foods I eat: Green smoothies for breakfast and lunch and salds or fruit for dinner. I snack on nuts or fruits. No dairy and no meat.

I was doing great till this acidity problem came back. Should I re introduce cooked food? Can some one please help?

Thanks
Anu Iyer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Acidity - Please help
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: May 25, 2007 04:48PM

I feel too acidic, too and am wondering how to balance it out.............

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: May 25, 2007 04:55PM

anuiyer7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dear all,
>
> I am new to the forum. I 've been on raw food diet
> like for two months, I had two mojor "Colds"
> detox. After that I felt so good. Fow two or three
> days now, I have bad acidity and stomach
> discomfort. Could this also be detox.
>
> I have always had acidity. But as soon as I went
> on this raw diet, I had no problem. Could
> something be wrong.
>
> Here are foods I eat: Green smoothies for
> breakfast and lunch and salds or fruit for dinner.
> I snack on nuts or fruits. No dairy and no meat.
>
> I was doing great till this acidity problem came
> back. Should I re introduce cooked food? Can some
> one please help?
>
> Thanks
> Anu Iyer

i think it could be your body doing some work
OR

it could be an issue with what you are eating

or not enough rest.

with respect to what you are eating, it could be:

meals or smoothies that are too complex
(it's unknown what you mean by a green smoothie)
or
items in your smoothie that are causing irritation
or
overeating
or
unripe fruit
or
items on your salad that are causing irritation
(you don't say what you put in a salad)
or
eating fruit on top of other foods
or
too many nuts ( I would suggest ONLY nuts in shell)

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: May 26, 2007 03:40AM

An,

It sounds like you're combining food poorly. Fruits should be eaten separately, at least 20 minutes prior to eating greens or other. Fruits require different digestive acids than what is required for greens, etc.

In general, I eat sweet fruit in the afternoon and then sweet fruit followed by greens at night. I do not mix more than 3 fruits at a time. You might also want to check your snacking. This might be upsetting your balance. Snacking works for some and not for others. I typically have 2 main meals and a late snack of fruit.

To ease your current discomfort, you can make some German Chamomile tea and drink it. Alternatively, you can juice green cabbage and drink at least 3 oz at least once a day until the ulcer symptoms go away.

Also, if you aren't already checking your nutrient balance, you might want to try fitday.com. You may not be getting enough calories/nutrients, therefore the snacking. Consider supplementing any missing nutrients until your body works sufficiently without the supplements.

Good luck.
Therese

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: May 26, 2007 09:11AM

Anu,

I had a very similar problem shortly after becoming raw.

Therese gave me the best advice!

For me, it really was all about the food combinations. And the website she recommended, fitday, really puts things into perspective. I was having nausea, headaches, and indigestion. The symptoms disappeared within a day or so.

Also, someone else on this forum suggested blending monofoods to make digestion easier. I am still doing that and it really works for me.

Good luck, and congrats on your great progress so far!

Much love!

P

Posted by: YogaLee ()
Date: May 26, 2007 11:47PM

Aside from good combining, I always start my day with a glass of lemon water.

Seems to alkaline my body after sleep.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: May 28, 2007 01:17AM

Fresh and YogaLee have good suggestions.

Fresh, if it is a dietary/digestive thing

Yogalee, if it is actually a ph issue....which my guess is its more of a digestive/mixing thing

for both possibilities I would try...e

- eating only when hungry (not like 'true' hunger or whatever but when your stomach/mind REALLY wants it..like after exercising)

- doing less complicated green smoothies...experimenting with green extracted juices for nutritional intake/per digestive rest...AND more importantly acid/alkaline balance

- I would nix the snacking on nuts throughout the day unless you are feeling spacey and ungrounded...add more fruit if necessary.

in my experience, improper combinations can be acid/mucus forming especially involving fruit and fat for sure, AND with indigestible combinations of fruit, melon/banana.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 28, 2007 01:49AM

Cooked foods will only make things worse. If you are experiencing acidity because of dietary reasons, the suggestions above are excellent. Your emotions and thoughts can create an acidic environment in your body. Certainly working on your emotions and spiritual self will help here. Also, deep diaphragmatic breathing helps alkalize the body, so doing yoga (assuming your doing the deep breathing) will help.

Posted by: Cecilia Ines ()
Date: May 28, 2007 02:19AM

Hi There,
I have the same problem with my stomach if I eat too many nuts. Cut down on them or make sure to soak and blend them. Also, do yourself a favor and learn about food combing. You can do a search on the internet for food combining chart. If this doesn't help, in your situation I would drink a litle slippery elm powder mixed with water before eating a heavy raw food meal. It really helps buffer the stomach acidity.

Good Luck,
Cecilia

For Your Free Raw Food Starter Guide E-book Go To:
[www.rawglow.com]

Let your inner glow shine!

Posted by: Lemure ()
Date: May 28, 2007 02:37PM

It might be Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) - one of the more common bacterial infections. I had this for years, I blamed coffee, called it coffee stomach.

Doctors treat this with antibiotics. I self treated mine with homemade yogurt, fermented for 24 hours for maximum PRObiotic punch.

I prefer probiotics over of anti-biotics, because probiotics bring back our natural balance - where anti-biotics kill everything, including the helpful, needed bacteria that digests our food.

--------------------about H. plylori----------

If you are a carrier of H. pylori, you may have no symptoms. If you have an ulcer or gastritis, you may have some of the following symptoms:

Abdominal pain
Dyspepsia or indigestion
Bloating and fullness
Mild nausea (may be relieved by vomiting)
Belching and regurgitation
Feeling very hungry 1 to 3 hours after eating

found at: [www.nlm.nih.gov]

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: May 30, 2007 03:25PM

Thanks all for your good suggestions. I did try the lemon water and it seems to help. Also, the acidity is reducing now. I will cut down on the nuts also. My green smoothies are just fruit and greens (got recipes from Alissa and Victoria's books/ online pages/ websites).

I will continue with the raw diet and hope that the acidity will be under control and eventually go awaysmiling smiley

Many Thanks to all,
Anu Iyer

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 30, 2007 10:12PM

Seaweed is alkalizing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables