Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Any RAW Foodists who drink coffee?
Posted by: CherryBlossom ()
Date: May 26, 2007 10:16PM

Just curious, how many raw food people out there that drink coffee?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any RAW Foodists who drink coffee?
Posted by: YogaLee ()
Date: May 26, 2007 11:04PM

I do,

Posted by: Elakti ()
Date: May 27, 2007 12:33AM

Me too.

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: May 27, 2007 06:24AM

I don't.

Although the theobromine in the very popular raw chocolate is similar to caffeine I believe.

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: May 27, 2007 07:08AM

I do sometimes... only, shade grown, organic though... like 1 a month

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: May 27, 2007 01:37PM

I used to drink organic coffee with almond milk and maple syrup for sweetener. It was oh so good! But I feel better since I gave up caffeine.

I like your cat.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: May 27, 2007 04:42PM

I can't do coffee and high raw or 100% raw at the same time. I use milk and sugar in my coffee and that just sets me up to crave more sugars..and junk foods. I quit coffee (the second time since going raw 5 years ago) over a month ago (which I started drinking again about 6 months ago) .

It's just now that I'm actually doing well in eating mostly raw again, I figure it's due to several reasons..it's my fav. time of year, June, July, August, so much warmer and more sunshine, quiting coffee helps, and I recently bought some good health books, one by Norman Walker, and one by Ann Wigmore and they were motivating for me.

The other thing has been watching my room-mate struggle with eating habits, and when she went high raw she was losing weight and looking much better, then she fell off and eats more cooked foods/junk foods, and she's gained weight and has less stamina. This helped me see (we are close in age, height, weight) myself do the same things. So, I'm determined to get my body clean, and stay clean on my raw food diet.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: May 27, 2007 05:01PM

Prism said: I can't do coffee and high raw or 100% raw at the same time.

Me neither - stimulates all kind of cravings, esp. for foods which balance out the sugar effect.

I drink chai that I buy from a local restaurant, and it is gentler but similar to drinking coffee. I really want to give up this need: when I am through this period in my life, I want to go 100% raw, simple, homegrown or organic diet.

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: May 27, 2007 06:07PM

i do not drink coffee as i have found it interferes with the spectacular way i feel since i have been raw. i feel wonderful natural energy pulsing through me.

why interfere with natural perfection?

Posted by: alicenubby ()
Date: May 27, 2007 06:29PM

I DO I DO. I love coffee. I have cut down on weekdays, though.

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: May 27, 2007 07:14PM

I'm still drinking one cup (in the morning) on a daily basis. That's down from the bucket of coffee that I was drinking just before I decided to go raw. My choice to go vegan was based on moral reasons, so I was one of those extrememly unhealthy vegans for a long time. I feel a whole lot better since cutting down from one bucket full to one cupful! My energy level went off the charts. I had no idea about how true it is that caffeine actually depletes energy rather than supplying it!

So, now (in my usual fashion) I'm still hanging on to that one last cup. I don't know why. I just haven't gotten motivated to make the final step. I hope I do.

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: bronwynsun ()
Date: May 27, 2007 09:32PM

does anyone use krakus, or something similar? It's a coffee replacement made from chicory. I don't think it's raw, but it tastes like coffee and is really mild and doesn't contain caffeine. i put it in shakes with nuts and dates sometimes.

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: May 27, 2007 10:03PM

Prism Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't do coffee and high raw or 100% raw at the
> same time. I use milk and sugar in my coffee and
> that just sets me up to crave more sugars..

Not that I want to support the caffeine habit, but FWIW when I drink coffee with the almond milk and maple syrup I don't get the cravings. I get the effect of the caffeine, but not the craziness and cravings.

Like I said, I much prefer being caffeine-free, but if you are going to indulge, try the nut milk/agave or maple syrup and see if it helps.

Posted by: muddyclothes ()
Date: May 28, 2007 04:49PM

Your cat looks like he has had a bit too much caffeine.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 28, 2007 05:42PM

never been able to drink coffee .. my stomach rejects it ... tea however sits ok with me

i like the cat pic lol

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: May 29, 2007 05:56AM

Lol! The reason my cat looks so energetic is because he is on raw food too. He has been raised on raw ever since he was a kitten.

I can assure you, he has not had any coffee. ;-)

I have been off coffee for 2 years but sometimes feel like picking it up again. I feel like I need at least one vice or I am being too hard on myself. Now that I am raw, I seriously have no evil habits left in my life.

My brain is fighting against being too healthy.

I may make some chai with fresh almond milk for a substitute.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the coffee rumba!

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: May 29, 2007 06:00AM

oh wow that is a real cat haha..he does look like a lot of caffeine hehe..he is cute though..i thought it was a pic you found..he scared me at first though i have to admit smiling smiley but now i know he is there and expect him he is cute haha
thanks for sharing!!
love earthangel
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Posted by: Berlinpathos ()
Date: May 29, 2007 07:04PM

Some kombucha has caffeine. hm

Posted by: treflur ()
Date: May 29, 2007 07:20PM

I do. I use unsweetened Chocolate soy milk with stevia in my coffee. Yum yum. They say don't be healthy if you don't want to so I am gonna wait a while before I quit...although I am sortof exploring the idea of Chai lately becuase spices are great and caffiene is good for my blood sugar...can't be as evil as an evil thought.

Date: May 29, 2007 07:49PM

Have you tried raw almond milk instead of the soy? It's better for you. I just ordered some yacon syrup from Sunfoods and it is soo good. It has a bit of cinnamon added to it. Would make a great healthy coffee sweetener as apparently it is the only sweetener that does not feed Candida.

I get instant problems from stevia and agave nectar.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: May 29, 2007 09:30PM

I will occasionally still have a cup of coffee in the mornings, most often on the weekends or on rainy mornings (for whatever reason). I used to drink tons of it.

Since eating more and more raw I find that I like it less and most often don't even finish the cup before it gets cold and I end up pouring it down the drain. It too often tastes really acidic going down.

A good, tasty substitute is the Ayurvedic herbal blend called "Raja's Cup", made from clearing nut, kasmard, licorice, and winter cherry. This has a nice, rich taste and is good w/ "milk" of whatever sort and sweetener, although I personally never used sweetener in my coffee.

khale

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 29, 2007 09:38PM

heyyyyyyy Khale i had that stuff when i was visiting nepal smiling smiley its quite yummy ...althugh they used steamed yaks milk which kinda grossed me out lol

after this first one i had mine without the moo winking smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: May 29, 2007 10:36PM

i used to love my morning cup of coffee. black, creamy, sweet or bitter, i loved it. two months ago, no, more now, i couldn't handle it, it made me queasy and shaky. i went decaf, 1/2 decaf, then cut it out all together. i've tried it twice since, and it just pushes me into shaky twitchy mode. even 1/2 cup! i've been drinking coffee religiously since i was 16, and 10 years later, i don't even love the smell anymore.

oh well.
i think it has to to with the high raw.
and the summer.
i don't like coffee in the heat
but new england winters are made for coffee.

peace-

Posted by: arilraw ()
Date: May 30, 2007 05:25PM

Ok, back away from my coffee!

Thanks,

Arilraw

Posted by: woodfe ()
Date: May 31, 2007 08:33AM

Cherry Blossom - what do you feed your raw cat? I have 2 cats that I would love for them to follow a raw lifestyle. Also, did they have any digestive problems when they first started. My cats are older (8 years) so they would likely detox at first if I put them on raw. Thx, Elizabeth

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: May 31, 2007 07:15PM

Here's what worked for me. (Although I can't really say that anything actually worked since I'm still drinking that one cup in the am)

I read CAFFEINE BLUES by Stephen Cherniske and that nearly scared the begeebies out of me - like I said before - I had been drinking buckets. So I went to the health food store and bought a can of Teeccino herbal coffee - loved it! I took it to some of my AA meetings (Yeah, coffee is not the only thing I've overdone!) and some of my coffeebucket drinking friends loved it too! So, now we have some local meetings that have the proverbial coffee pot and the newer and healthier teeccino pot.

They have a web site: teeccino.com and you can check it out there - BUT if you decide you like it - it's much more affordable to buy it from amazon.com where they sell it in a case of six cans - for about $5 per can - no shipping costs.

LIfe Is Good!

alive!

Date: May 31, 2007 09:42PM

For Woodfe:

My cat has been eating raw meat and fish ever since he was a kitten. I get organic stake for him and chop it up real fine. It's actually cheaper than canned cat food.
One steak will last him for a week when chopped up finely enough. There was a time when the neighbor had to pet sit for few days and she had been feeding him regular canned cat food against my advise and he was throwing up for few days after.

He is super healthy, shiny and has lots of energy. He has never needed to see a vet in 3.5 years and he has no vaccinations either. But that's a whole other discussion.

Animals like people are not suppose to eat cooked anything!

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: May 31, 2007 11:16PM

ok when I say 1 a month I really mean like one "naturally decafinated (whatever that means)" shade grown, organic and I drink it black, always have and it's about a quarter of a cup's worth

Date: June 06, 2007 05:34PM

I drink decaf organic coffee once per week...maybe 2 small cups. I put a drop of peppermint essential oil in my coffee cup...it's nirvana in a cup smiling smiley

I'm 80-100 percent raw and have been for 19 months smiling smiley I don't get cravings any more really...other than for young Thai coconuts, but they are good for me smiling smiley

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: June 06, 2007 11:02PM

Only when I'm being very naughty. I really don't like the taste (the after-taste, actually) anymore. I do allow myself green chai tea in the morning (Yogi green chai-- yum!).

Even one cup of joe a day makes me jittery, and when I used to drink coffee for a week or longer, I got bloated.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables