Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Christian Raw Vegan.......Oxymoron?
Posted by: sndnance ()
Date: May 29, 2007 04:55PM

My family has been giving me such a hard time about the way I eat. I also am trying to get my 3 year old to eat that way as well. My husband is stubborn so will take a little bit longer to work on. Everytime I go to someones house and tell them I don't want to eat what they cooked they get really mad and tell me that I can't eat that way and I'm gonna get sick. Some people don't argue but most do. My mother Inlaw is the worst one. She is a christian and says that God said to eat meat. The biggest reason that I even looked into eating different is that I feel that God made us to eat a certain way and if we do we will be the best we can be. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Christian Raw Vegan.......Oxymoron?
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 29, 2007 05:09PM

this was in the raw foodist in the bible thread a few days ago hehe ...maybe print it out so she can look at it winking smiley

Raw Foodist in the Bible
Posted by: Michael (IP Logged)
Date: May 18, 2007 01:34AM

Hello folks,

Have you read the story of Daniel in
Babylon (530 BC) in the Bible? It is
in the first Chapter of Daniel.

1 In the third year of the reign of
Jehoiakim king of Judah, Nebuchadnezzar
king of Babylon came to Jerusalem and
besieged it.

2 And the Lord delivered Jehoiakim king
of Judah into his hand, along with some
of the articles from the temple of God.
These he carried off to the temple of
his god in Babylonia [a] and put in
the treasure house of his god.

3 Then the king ordered Ashpenaz, chief
of his court officials, to bring in
some of the Israelites from the royal
family and the nobility-

4 young men without any physical defect,
handsome, showing aptitude for every
kind of learning, well informed,
quick to understand, and qualified
to serve in the king's palace. He
was to teach them the language and
literature of the Babylonians.

5 The king assigned them a daily
amount of food and wine from the
king's table. They were to be
trained for three years, and after
that they were to enter the king's
service.

6 Among these were some from Judah:
Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah.

7 The chief official gave them new
names: to Daniel, the name Belteshazzar;
to Hananiah, Shadrach; to Mishael,
Meshach; and to Azariah, Abednego.

8 But Daniel resolved not to defile
himself with the royal food and wine,
and he asked the chief official for
permission not to defile himself this way.

9 Now God had caused the official to
show favor and sympathy to Daniel,

10 but the official told Daniel,
'I am afraid of my lord the king, who
has assigned your [c] food and drink.
Why should he see you looking worse
than the other young men your age?
The king would then have my head
because of you.'

11 Daniel then said to the guard
whom the chief official had appointed
over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah,

12 'Please test your servants for ten
days: Give us nothing but vegetables
to eat and water to drink.

13 Then compare our appearance with
that of the young men who eat the royal
food, and treat your servants in accordance
with what you see.'

14 So he agreed to this and tested them
for ten days.

15 At the end of the ten days they looked
healthier and better nourished than any
of the young men who ate the royal food.

16 So the guard took away their choice
food and the wine they were to drink
and gave them vegetables instead.

17 To these four young men God gave
knowledge and understanding of all
kinds of literature and learning.
And Daniel could understand visions
and dreams of all kinds.

18 At the end of the time set by the
King to bring them in, the chief
official presented them to Nebuchadnezzar.

19 The king talked with them, and he
found none equal to Daniel, Hananiah,
Mishael and Azariah; so they entered
the king's service.

20 In every matter of wisdom and
understanding about which the king
questioned them, he found them ten
times better than all the magicians
and enchanters in his whole kingdom.

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2007 05:10PM by Jgunn.

Posted by: treflur ()
Date: May 29, 2007 06:47PM

No, No. Not oxymoron. Ironically I do have strong feelings about this. I have a feeling about what Christ is about: that's love. When you fast (which Christ did) you loosen all the plaque around your heart so you can feel; SO YOU CAN LOVE. The raw food diet does that too. Eating raw is the best thing you could be doing to stay close to Christ. He felt, and you feel, and every day you eat raw you open up your body to more love. I didn't read the other posts, becuase I just wanted to write...but gee this is so silly, you are doing such a good job in terms of learning to love like Christ- through cleaning out your body.

Good Luck!

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: May 29, 2007 06:53PM

try www.hacres.com

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: May 29, 2007 10:51PM

christian raw vegan-
makes perfect sense.

killing is a sin, though God gave permission to do it, it is less than ideal, a post fall from the garden thing. noah and peter were told it was okay (not what goes into a man, but what comes out), but even the jewish tradition has always had meat as a highly sacred and seperate thing. hence all the kosher traditions that were so important. and praying before meals (including thanking God for the life that was lost to sustain yours...)

things like divorce are also like this, permission was given because people wanted to do it so badly, but though it is not a 'sin', it is less than ideal. though i won't condemn our culture for it's high divorce rate, nor it's animal abusing ways, the alternative lifestyle is not anti-Christian by any means.

i don't enforce veganism on my son. he is only 14 months. though the majority of his diet on a daily basis just HAPPENS to be vegan because those are the foods his body likes. though greens are a bit harder to get into him.

peace-

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: May 30, 2007 01:36AM

killing is a sin, though God gave permission to do it,

thou shalt not kill - clearly stated.

In the Essene Gospel of Peace (or in one of the next two books), it is stated that taking the life of any living thing - presumably plants, as well, is forbidden and that only the Law, or God has authority over all our lives and deaths.

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: May 30, 2007 01:52AM

Paul Nison is a major force in the raw and live food lecture scene and a devout and preaching Christian. You may want to look up his web site and email or call him. From the few encounters I had with him a number of years back, I'm certain he'd be happy to speak with you and support you on how to address your relatives as a Christian live food path.

Hallelujah Acres is another good resource. It's a huge raw Christian organization started by Rev. Malkamus who had colon cancer and decided to follow the laws of what he considered "biblical eating" to find healing.They also publish a free colorful bi monthly newsletter you can sign up for online or by calling them. Their web site is www.Hacres.org

peace
joy
heart
courage
i breathe in
i breathe out
Bikini

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 30, 2007 01:53AM

There's a nice Christian veg site. They used to have their book free for download.

Here are some highlights.
[www.all-creatures.org]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 30, 2007 07:16AM

Sndance:

-Why do you expect anyone else doing the WRONG thing to understand YOU? Ha! ha! It's probably NOT going to happen. It's up to YOU to be understanding and supportive of THEM.

-Why would YOU want to make ANYONE else responsible for YOUR diet. No matter who loves you....and how close they are to you......what YOU put in your body is definitely your choice and your responsibility. One that you need to set clear boundaries around.....that you will not discuss in a demeaning or hostile or defensive or controlling manner. No biggie! LOL.

-You CAN/SHOULD be pro-active with family and loved ones. Let them know ahead of time that you will be bringing a fruit plate (if this is acceptable) or that you only eat fresh fruits and vegetables. It's up to THEM if they want to accomodate you.....or allow you to bring food. In any event....if they don't.....no big deal. They don't HAVE to accomodate you.........but you have to set BOUNDARIES. They can't have it BOTH ways. They can't NOT let you bring what you want to eat....AND not serve you.....AND complain when you don't eat! Ha! ha!......they kinda got a pick one thing or the other!

-You're an ADULT. If they complain or bust your chops....you LEAVE. You don't go places (and take your family) where folks are going to be mean to you. This applies to family and friends as well. Don't enable that kind of behavior. You don't change THEM.......you just don't allow those kinds of things in YOUR life.

-You change others by being happy, successful and supportive. Not by discussion or indoctrination. I'm sure folks only had to/have to SEE Christ......to want to make that change.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Petals ()
Date: May 30, 2007 07:25AM

well they are the ones who told Abraham to sacrifice his son.. so.... ?????? and also the whole first born son moses thang.

... but there might be some cool ones whose duty is not to spread thier desiese of ignorance and stupidity to the rest of the world.... like France... ect lol ( the gospel iz wot i am referring to)

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: May 31, 2007 04:09PM

Hmmm, chances are you can't change someone's mind once they have a belief. Especially, if they interpret the Bible based on what someone tells them it says. We all read and interpret it somewhat differently I feel. Two different people with the same passage will read into it 2 different ways. Whats ya gonna do??

I just try to get along and figure why bring someone else stress and so find a solution to make it work. I think of others welfare and the big picture, regardless of who is right or wrong. Tough thing to do and takes ALOT of patience for me smiling smiley

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: May 31, 2007 07:01PM

Stick to your principles, remain friendly. My mother-in-law thinks I'm crazy, doesn't prepare food for me or invite me over for dinner on Sundays when she cooks for herself and my husband. It's ok - Although I'll probably be taking care of both their sorry asses some day!!!!!!

But, seriously. We just need to know what we KNOW and let others be themselves. I pray before family gatherings that I don't let anyone get to me and especially that I don't get sucked into any debate. One of my favorite things to say is "I just feel so good when I'm eating healthy food". Period. Then I smile and ooze love and move on.

Life Is Good!

alive!

PS - Love is a living energy and no old book compares to the love that is alive in my heart - to guide me today!!!! I trust it!

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 31, 2007 08:33PM

Love your post David. My sentiments exactly.

Posted by: shawnasong ()
Date: June 01, 2007 12:46AM

I want to second what someone wrote about Paul Nison. I met him recently and stayed up into the wee hours discussing nutrition according to the Bible with him. He's quite passionate and willing to personally assist anyone with support. So check out his site and contact him!

I bought his book "Health According to the Scriptures". Buy it, read it, and pass it on to your mother in law.

Blessings,
Shawna

Posted by: Runninggal1974 ()
Date: June 01, 2007 01:57AM

I totally think that being sick and tired all the time keeps us from being able to love others like Christ did or serve Jesus like we should. He tells us to take care of our temple and it's because sick and weak people cannot serve our world effectively - I was so sick last year that I was almost useless in the world - and now that I am taking better care of my "temple" I can serve my family, my neighbors, my community with energy and vigor.

I want to start teaching this stuff in the public schools to kids and parents so that our world can start turning their health around - the US is DYING. It's estimated that in Texas, the generation being raised right now WILL, in general, not OUT LIVE THEIR OWN PARENTS!! Mainly due to diabetes and all the diseases from the SAD diet.

We are teachers and see students routinely eating Snickers Candy Bars and a 2 liter of Mountain Dew for their BREAKFASTS!

Keep loving Jesus - he made our bodies and he gave us what we need for these bodies on our earth. When I lived in Ecuador I was amazed at the plants down there in the Amazon that God Gave our earth - plants that cure things our own Western Medicine has no cure for - food to nourish like few things we can find here. it's amazing!

Signing off!
runninggal

Posted by: bronwynsun ()
Date: June 01, 2007 02:09AM

Wow, really mindful posts everyone. This is a good discussion.

I don't think it's an oxymoron at all. As RunningGal said, if I am healthier, I can serve better. If I live longer, I can serve more. If I am happier (feeling joyful) it is easier to love others and to spread that joy.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: June 01, 2007 03:31AM

Did you see Brother Sun, Sister Moon.......beautiful film in every way. Francis of Assisi tells them to live like the birds - they toil not - they live and eat simply, according only to their needs, not desires.......such a beautiful reminder of the joy and truth in simplicity.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 02, 2007 05:10PM

God told me to eat popcorn

it said that somewhere in the bible
but i took matters into my own hand

cuz there is such a thing as "free will"
and i said

no pop corn for me

main point: who cares what your mother in law says?
i don't care what most people say
i just go on with my own life

my favorite saying in the world is " so what?"

Posted by: Miss Joan ()
Date: June 04, 2007 09:28PM

You go girl!!!!!!!! Great attitudesmiling smiley

Joan

Posted by: myst1kst0rm ()
Date: June 06, 2007 02:32PM

The Essenes were Raw vegans also.. if you haven't heard of them, try google smiling smiley

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: June 06, 2007 05:42PM

la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> God told me to eat popcorn
>

Love it! You go La Veronique!

That's the advantage of having a god that died 2000 years ago, you get to make up your own rules.

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: June 07, 2007 11:30AM

The difficulty is in that some Christians take an Elitist "I'm right, everyone else is wrong" not just on religion but on most other things too. Free will is a waste of time if we all have to adhere to the same set of rules about every little thing in our lives.
I avoid Churches like the plague now.

In a general social setting Raw foodism isn't the "norm" so we will always run into this, these people who think they know it all without doing one thread of research themselves.

Unfortunately, it is unlikely you will change her mind, I would just stay strong and explain how important it is to you, and let your great results be the proof that this is working for you and you are happy doing this.

Good luck!

Phil.

--------------------------------------------------

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2007 11:35AM by jadedshade.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 19, 2007 03:57PM

HI ,

I just thought I'd share how I got to the point where I have little and usually no conflict ( and yes among many Christians as well) about eating only raw. Years ago, when I felt so much better eating more raw I wanted to share the good news with all my struggling friends- we were all having kids and tired of course from all that mothering entails. To my dismay I was ignored or cautioned, accused of not being healthy with initial weight lose etc. Even accused of not being sensitive to others! So, I stopped sharing and just did it. After awhile(years) people were asking me how I have so much energy etc (I had 6 kids in 10 years and then became a single parent!) Several years ago I finally went all raw. When friends would visit they would try something raw and like it! To keep it short, I now send out recipes to friends via yahoo group, at their request and teach classes on raw food eating.

But how do I handle "food" situations. When people say oohh, ahh about how something looks , I am right there, perhaps I initiate. I am being honest, it does look good (I can still remember the tastes!- I don't add the other thoughts that run through my mind about how I couldn't possibly eat that- this is common courtesy, there are many times that it is wise to hold one's tongue.) I don't try to teach/preach at gatherings, I quietly do what I do. Many times people are not even aware that I am raw. I prefer this way because I want to enjoy the company and not have confrontation or goofy comments about my eating.

When offered something directly by someone who lovingly(usually)tried to prepare a tasty dish, I thank them very much and tell them that I have come to realize that I do not feel good when I eat certain foods and that I really don't want to feel that way, but thank you anyway, I am sure that it really does taste good. This affirms their efforts while also taking the focus of my refusing it off of them and their efforts and puts it on my well being. I have not had anyone insist I eat something after I have said it that way.

When going to potlucks and someone's house I always bring a huge salad, enough for me to have a huge serving and for others to have some. Oh, also, I eat before/on the way to many functions so that way I can honestly say that I am not that hungry.

I hope this helps. My biggest tip, don't tell people you "don't want their food". I can even feel offended when people don't want or try what I have prepared! (even though I know better, it is a feeling that comes) Also, David Mason's advice above is essential to making it raw! If someone continues to be rude about my eating (or anything else in my life) after I have taken the above measures, then I would not spend time with that person.

Teresa

Posted by: JesusFreak ()
Date: June 06, 2012 01:07AM

I can see this is an old post, but sounds so much like what i can relate to! i created a website with devotionals to inspire Christians who are trying to eat for health, talking about these sorts of things (and also providing education for others who are not aware of the health benefits of eating raw vegan). i am a low-fat raw vegan myself. you can find it at www.healthyskinnybeautiful.com ...God bless!

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: June 06, 2012 02:31PM

I firmly believe God made us to eat a plant based raw diet.
In my experience ,NO ONE has ever given me one bit of flak for how I eat.I just dont understand it when I hear about people getting comments about how they eat.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 06, 2012 02:40PM

Have you heard of Hallelujah Acres?

[www.hacres.com]

Posted by: HH ()
Date: June 06, 2012 02:56PM

I think it depends a lot on the person and their countenance. I have a vegan (high raw) friend who's female, fit, in her 20s, beautiful, down to earth, and incredibly nice. She was hounded out of a professional job by a clique of obese women that she worked with. They constantly grilled her about her food, never respected her choices by always offering her things like donuts and pizza when they knew what the answer would be, and in general tried to do everything they possibly could to make her feel bad because of her diet and her success in pursuing health. She tried everything she could to win them over, but ended up quitting because the harassment became too much. This is a very tough young woman too. It would take a lot to get her to leave like that.

On the other hand, no one has ever messed with me.

eaglefly Wrote:
> I firmly believe God made us to eat a plant based
> raw diet.
> In my experience ,NO ONE has ever given me one bit
> of flak for how I eat.I just dont understand it
> when I hear about people getting comments about
> how they eat.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 07, 2012 01:52PM

HH Wrote:
> I think it depends a lot on the person and their
> countenance. I have a vegan (high raw) friend
> who's female, fit, in her 20s, beautiful, down to
> earth, and incredibly nice. She was hounded out of
> a professional job by a clique of obese women that
> she worked with. They constantly grilled her about
> her food, never respected her choices by always
> offering her things like donuts and pizza when
> they knew what the answer would be, and in general
> tried to do everything they possibly could to make
> her feel bad because of her diet and her success
> in pursuing health. She tried everything she could
> to win them over, but ended up quitting because
> the harassment became too much. This is a very
> tough young woman too. It would take a lot to get
> her to leave like that.
>
> On the other hand, no one has ever messed with me.
>
>
> eaglefly Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I firmly believe God made us to eat a plant
> based
> > raw diet.
> > In my experience ,NO ONE has ever given me one
> bit
> > of flak for how I eat.I just dont understand it
> > when I hear about people getting comments about
> > how they eat.

----------------
No one really messes with me, either. I mean, sometimes I get the protein question, and depending on their demeanor, I either answer it with real numbers and facts or I say, "Do I look like I don't get enough protein?" (I'm muscular). lol

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: June 08, 2012 03:10AM

The ideal christian thang is to go by what's said in Genesis about all vegetation is for food for humankind. Sure, after the flood God said it was ok to eat meat since there was no veg food after the flood. BUT IT WASN'T A COMMAND. Also, during Daniel's time, those young men wouldn't eat the foods of the king that God has said were 'unclean'. But in the first century, God said it was ok to eat all manner of flesh, BUT IT WASN'T A COMMAND.

So you have a choice, and no Christian should say you can't eat veg or flesh, since according to the Bible, it's ok to eat either or.............

Cheers, jalan

Posted by: JesusFreak ()
Date: September 25, 2012 06:47PM

Today's post from my health blog (search "healthyskinnybeautiful" and you should find it). Hope you come visit! smiling smiley Tash

Raw Vegan Christian
Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. ~2 Corinthians 9:7

Early in my transition to a plant-based raw food diet, the majority of my struggles were emotional. I frequently had feelings of self-pity that God was calling me to eat this way. I often felt jealous of other Christians that felt no conviction regarding healthy eating. I had deep feelings of loneliness because such a major life transition was very difficult, and I desperately wanted to have other Christian journeying companions--yet to be a "raw vegan Christian" at the time, even on the internet, seemed almost unheard of--much less, a high-fruit/low-fat raw vegan Christian.

I recall one year that was extremely difficult. We were a part of a wonderful house church. We loved the teaching and the members. At the beginning of our involvement, a meal was served beforehand, ended quickly, and teaching began. I focused on loving others and engaging in conversation, and before I knew it, it was time for "content time". As the year progressed, however, the meal became longer and longer, and it became increasingly difficult for me to deal with, emotionally. Although I stayed true to my convictions at house church, the following days I had severe struggles with self-pity and loneliness. When we moved, we were sad to leave our wonderful house church...yet for me, it was a HUGE relief.

God gave me a wonderful gift in our move. Not only was my hubby very supportive of my eating convictions (he was quite impressed with the changes in my health) and had become a vegan himself, but God gave me a Christian friend who lived in my area and was also a high-fruit/low-fat raw vegan. It blessed me beyond belief to be at Christian fellowships with someone who also refrained from eating the food that was being served. It was an indescribable gift and treasure for me. Through the long, difficult year, God had really grown me in learning to walk with Him in those "alone" times and get my eyes on Him and His suffering when I am feeling self-pity. But now, He had led me into a time of refreshing fellowship. I was grateful for the growth through the hard time, but....no doubt, I was sooo happy to be in a new season! smiling smiley

God eventually led my friend to a slightly different style of eating, which was definitely sad for me, but by this time I was feeling much more comfortable with the diet God had called me to. My hubby was very supportive, and the sad feelings passed before long. I felt happy in following God....which brings me to today.

Last month, following the advice of some long-time low-fat raw vegans, on my trip to visit family & friends in my home state, I gave myself the freedom to not be perfect with my eating. It was incredibly liberating to not feel like a "bad person" because I ate some non-optimal foods (that in the past, I may have considered reasonably healthy options). I was able to feel and see the HUGE difference in how I feel, look, serve, and function when I am eating low-fat raw vegan vs. a more traditional diet. I could not deny the huge increase in insulin I needed, the lethargic and depressed feelings in my body and mind, the poor digestion, bloating, gas, snoring, odors, and--the brain fog. Wow. I felt BAD, physically, that whole month. Before eating low-fat raw vegan, I never realized that I was feeling bad...now that I have felt incredible, light, energetic, alert, sensitive, focused, and happy--I know that I want to follow God in this because I like who I am when I am who He created me to be. I have so much more to give to the world when I am "my best self"--eating optimally for optimal living.

This year, God has really helped me to deal with my issues of pride and judgment. He has really humbled me and reminded me that transitioning is HARD--physically, emotionally, and spiritually. He has reminded me that the circumstances that led to my education about eating raw foods for healing...well, it was certainly atypical. Of my own accord, I would not have sought education about eating for health. My history was anything BUT healthy eating, and I fought against anyone who had anything critical to say about my food choices.

Just one more reminder that ANYTHING good in me is from God, not from me. Being a raw vegan Christian was not my idea; it was God's. But I am soooooooooo glad He had this idea. His ways and thoughts are higher than mine. It has been such a growing process and I am sure it will continue to be. I am no longer fighting God on this one. It is a true gift to honor God and offer Him my best as make each food choice for His glory, each day.

God, my thanks are beyond words. What an incredible privilege and journey, by Your plan, to watch this body heal and respond to foods that nourish, or go downhill from foods that destroy. Forgive me for my rebellion, self-pity, jealousy, short-sightedness, and stubbornness. Thank You for Your grace and patience with me, Your child. May this life glorify You and bring You pleasure.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables