Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Mosquito chow
Posted by: Kit ()
Date: June 03, 2007 10:10AM

Once upon a time I read that mosquitoes are attracted to and more often bite people who eat a lot of sweets.

As someone who was highly bitten by mosquitoes AND over consuming sweets this was always of interest to me. Mosquitoes drove me crazy w/ biting. I wondered if what I read was true but since I could never give up sweets I couldn't know if it applied in my case.

In the Spring of 2006 my boss, seeing me being devoured by mosquitoes, felt sorry for me and procured flea collar type bands to keep on or near me while working. The smell of these was noxious enough to keep other humans away but, like moss growing in the shade, the mosquitoes seemed to bite whatever part of me they could that was farthest from the pungent bands.

This Spring I have been hours at a time in shady brush etc. heavily populated by mosquitoes. I have squinted and thought "Oh no, oh no!". But the bites never came. Miraculous.

The only difference is my diet. It's the first time in my life my diet has changed AND the first time I'm not being bitten. Coincidence?

My boss left the job last year. I only wish he could be here to witness this change.

Kit

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mosquito chow
Posted by: diana ()
Date: June 03, 2007 11:17AM

About 15 years ago my Reserve unit was stationed at Ft. Gordon, Georgia, in the middle of August...OMG...VERY HOT & VERY HUMID...At that time, in my civilian life, I was working in a health food store and was eating brewers yeast every morning mixed with some other things...which I can't for the life of me remember what else not to mention I was eating at least 75% raw at that time...but anyway...everybody was getting bit and stung by everything that could be on a military post in the middle of August at Ft. Gordon in Georgia...except ME...perhaps one or two bites...but I felt so enlightened and empowered...Aren't our bodies wonderful...

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: June 03, 2007 03:44PM

Brewer's yeast is supposed to keep animals flea-free.

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: June 03, 2007 08:11PM

okay, this isn't good news for me.
the skeeters LOVE me.
if there are ten in the room
and i kill six,
i still get seven bites.

WHAT'S UP?

peace-

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: June 03, 2007 08:38PM

mosquitos want the good blood!

too bad for clean raw folks smiling smiley

unless your mental powers grow and you can smite them away thata way

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: June 03, 2007 11:20PM

seriously anaken-
i'm working on those powers.
hard.

but my hands are more effective right now.

any recommendations on spiritual mosquito repelling?

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: June 04, 2007 03:10AM

think unappetizing thoughts! LOL

they are only a problem for me when I am trying to sleep..it just accentuates my existing frustrations. if I can eliminate those and create a good mental state for sleep..by that time I am out and the mosquitos don't bother me.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: June 04, 2007 09:22PM

Gawd! the little buggers love me too!

Here in Louisiana they are the unofficial state bird.

I use a dermacell pack. It's a small walky talky lookin thing that you slip a treated disk into that heats up and really works to keep them off of me. And at least I'm not using repellant on my skin...yuck! or spraying my back yard with poisons. And its pretty important to keep them off of you....encephalitus (sp?) ain't anything to mess around with.

khale

Posted by: vegan john ()
Date: June 06, 2007 05:27PM

I use organic pure essential oils. Lavender, citronella (you may not like the smell of citronella ... I don't mind) and some others repel mosquitoes. If I travel to e.g. India etc I mix some up with a natural (organic raw oil) and put it on my body in the eve. Also I mix some with mineral water and put in a small plastic spray bottle and squirt around bedding and curtains. You can get essential oil blend ready made mixes and incense sticks as well as citronella candles.

N.B. If you're not used to using pure essential oils, be aware that they can damage stuff if put / spilt neat (and most of them should not be put neat on the skin). E.G. if putting in the bath water and you put the oils in before enough water they can damage the bath, so you need to dilute them first with a carrier oil. Therefore, I suggest that you would not want to put them on anything you treasure. I did spoil some casual holiday trousers ... but I did not mind as they were fun holiday clothes and it stopped me getting bitten without using toxic chemical repellants.

I think mosquitoes don't like to bite people who have a lot of B vits in their blood (??? ... think that is the case, not sure).

Hope it helps.

Posted by: vegan john ()
Date: June 08, 2007 03:45PM

Just to add to my previous message.
Caution:
I would not wear the pure essential oil blend against mosquitoes during the day when in the sun (sun + essential oils on the skin ... not a good idea).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables