Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw beans
Posted by: sleepingstar ()
Date: June 04, 2007 02:14PM

I cant seem to find any info on the dried beans you get in the store. are they raw? if not where can I get raw beans and nuts

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw beans
Date: June 05, 2007 05:10PM

please help... why is it so hard for me to get my questions answered. im very new to this and im sorry if its a dumb question

Posted by: Inaia ()
Date: June 05, 2007 05:28PM

dried beans are raw. Lots of people are against ingesting them. Others are all for soaking &/or sprouting them & eating them. I like garbanzos & lentils every so ofter. I soak them overnight and sprout them for a couple days.

Hope this helps.

www.inaia.com

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: June 05, 2007 05:37PM

SS, It takes awhile sometimes to get an answer. Most people are busy at work (which I should be doing) during the day. Dried beans unless they state they are "organic" are not organic. I've never bought dried beans that sprouted so I think one has to buy beans specifically for sprouting. According to one article, "Dry beans come from plants that have completed their growth and produced hard, dry seeds inside their pods. When mature, the beans are packed with protein." [www.gardenguides.com] Another article states that some beans have a small moisture content and then are further dried. It does not state at what temperature they are dried. [www.jeffersoninstitute.org]

If all you have are regular dried beans, I wouldn't worry too much. You can soak the beans in water and then do whatever. The regular dried beans that I've bought do have the raw dried bean taste so I go with that.

Good luck.
Therese

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: June 05, 2007 06:21PM

I find good raw lentils and beans at our Indian store. Any Indian groecries will have dry (raw) beans and lentil.

I am posting a spicy sprouted lentil chutney in the recipes section now.

(Traditionally, I fry teh lentils and chillies to make this chutney, but I wanted to try to make it raw. It is very close to the "cooked" chutney. Look in teh recipes section if you like Indian food)

Anu Iyer

Posted by: Miss Joan ()
Date: June 05, 2007 06:53PM

I find organic beans and seeds at a local small good health food store. Do you have a Whole Foods or Wild Oats in your area? They have these in bulk. Also, more and more grocery stores are getting organic fruits and vegetables. If you write a suggestion or talk with the manager, they are usually very accommodating. We got a new family owned grocery store in my town about 5 years ago and for a long time they had a suggestion box of what we, as customers, wanted. Every time my daughter and I went in we would put in a suggestion. Now they carry lots of organic produce and have a whole section of healthy, organic items. Good luck. And don't get frustrated. If I told you how long it took me to get around to find the right thread you wouldn't believe me. Everyone on the 7 Weeks All Raw thread is SOOOOOO warm and encouraging. So jump in and ask all the questions you need to. Everyone is here to help and support. Good luck!

Joan

Date: June 05, 2007 09:08PM

thanks so much everyone! very helpful!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables