Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Rubber lid in Vita-Mix..
Posted by: CherryBlossom ()
Date: June 04, 2007 06:37PM

I just received my Vita-Mix blender in the mail.

I notice that the rubber lid smells really rubbery/chemical-like. I soaked it in warm soap water for a while and rinsed but it still smells really strong.

I am not a fan of synthetics and have had some allergic reactions to latex in the past. I am a little paranoid about drinking or eating anything from this thing because of the lid material.

Has anyone else had problems with the lid smelling so strong? I know that 100% rubber is nature derived but it still freaks me out. I don't want whatever I make to taste like rubber.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2007 06:38PM by CherryBlossom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rubber lid in Vita-Mix..
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: June 04, 2007 06:42PM

Just start off blending slowly so that the food doesn't hit the lid.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: June 04, 2007 06:55PM

Just bought one about a month ago. Seemed to be alright on my end.

I also notice when blending what's inside rarely touches the lid. Only if I stop the blending and then turn it back on. Other than that, I would just give it a good before first use wash?

Posted by: CherryBlossom ()
Date: June 04, 2007 07:03PM

I'll try to run it on low and hopefully the contents don't bounce all over the place.

I soaked it in soap water for about 10 minutes. That smell is really strong. I guess it's okey if nobody else got sick from it.. I am very sensitive to chemicals and smells though..

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: June 04, 2007 07:39PM

Call the company and ask what it is made of. Rubber is natural latex and it smells but it's not toxic. A lot of plastic does not smell but is toxic.

Posted by: Miss Joan ()
Date: June 04, 2007 07:50PM

I got the Vita-Mix when we started the 7 Weeks All Raw. I remember the lid smelling like rubber when I first got it but it's barely noticeable now.

By the way, I daily make enough smoothie for 2 16oz helpings. The mixture has never hit the lid except for a few specs at most. I always turn the variable dial quickly to 10 and then turn the speed switch to high with no problems.

Once a day I put 5C warm water with 2 drops liquid dish detergent to clean it (like the directions suggest before you use it the first time).

You will LOVE what it does! I want a Champion juicer someday. That's on my wish list. Good luck!

Joan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables