Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Non sugar carbs in a raw diet
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 05, 2007 02:16AM

I'm slowly adjusting my diet, and am curious about what non-sugar carbs are available, besides legumes.

I am not fond of legumes.

Any suggestions?

I'm trying to figure this out because it seems to take a lot of fruit to satisfy a person's carb requirements, and because I've read that sugar shouldn't be an overdominant source of carbs (though I know fruitarians would beg to differ).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Non sugar carbs in a raw diet
Posted by: anaken ()
Date: June 05, 2007 02:32AM

phew...me either

pretty sure 'sugar' and carbs of virtually the same

even the idea that fruit sugar enters the blood quicker then complex carbs...signs show to be false

for some fruits might not work as the 'overdominant' part of the diet but not because of its high carboydrate/sugar

if you are transitioning stick to the non gluten grains, or better yet starchy tubers like yams. Personally I found corn chips a good fit, you can even get them without salt. of course there is the heated oils (fats) but no biggie compared to what I was eating years prior.

try some days with fruits other days with fat, other days with cooked starches. Sometimes cooked starch might interfere with fruit the following day, so be mindful of that. always prep the starch with a big salad

just some ideas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2007 02:33AM by anaken.

Date: June 05, 2007 02:47AM

Thanks for the ideas.

What about soaked rice? How much will it puff up? (I guess I can try and see)

any issues with raw rice?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2007 02:49AM by kevinsnc.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: June 05, 2007 03:37AM

yes..lots..

my suggestions were all cooked stuff...If you want to do all raw your going to be doing either fats or fruits..i Imagine...

some people have luck with sprouting grains, but I don't think rice will sprout, even wild rice. I think buckwheat and kamut are probably the way to go if you want to do some testing

Posted by: diana ()
Date: June 05, 2007 11:36AM

Hello...Brown rice and wild rice both sprout...but I keep hearing that raw brown rice soaked and/or sprouted is still not good. The "RAW" recipe book does have a recipe for sprouted rice...it is either brown and/or wild...I can't remember at this moment...but I have seen recipes for both...I have sprouted brown rice myself...I am gluten sensitive so most grains are out for me...even oats...buckwheat is ok since it has no relation to regular wheat...ANYWAY...I'm still curious as to why rice is such a bad thing...I was always under the impression that it was one of the best grains to consume if in fact one was to consume any at all...Diana

Posted by: jono ()
Date: June 05, 2007 11:54AM

>>>I'm trying to figure this out because it seems to take a lot of fruit to satisfy a person's carb requirements

What are a person's carb requirements? And why?

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: June 05, 2007 03:51PM

Sprouted and/or soaked raw Buckwheat and Quinoa and Oat Groats are some of the ways my community of Raw friends incude non-sweet carbs in their diet.

If you eat grains, they are a great way to go in terms of energy if you won't eat fruits or dried fruits. There are many ways to do a living-food diet and you need to see what combination of things works and makes sense for you and your personal lifestyle.

Viktoras Kulvinskas's ( he's one of the pioneers of the raw food movement with Anne Wigmore) wife Youkta is a professional performing dancer and has been living on raw grains for 20+ years. She says nothing else would have sustained her athletic needs.

Then there are others like Doug Graham who used to be an athlete who swear by loads of bananas and little fat and no grains.

i breathe in
i breathe out
peace
love
joy
Bikini

Date: June 07, 2007 06:06PM

Awesome, thanks for the ideas guys/girls. I've started looking into sprouts... looks like they can be a good source of carbs and protein.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: June 07, 2007 06:36PM

I'm happy to see that people are discussing the advantages of including sprouted grains in their raw food diet. I've found for myself that having just a very small portion of sprouted wheat ocassionally really helps me stay raw.

Diana, do you live in the US? Because if you do, federal law requires that all rice intended for use as food - including organic brown rice, and including imported rice - must be sterilized to keep it from being used as seed (for the purpose of controlling the spread of rice diseases). In other words, if you live in the US, brown rice will not sprout, and what you're seeing at the end of the kernel is most likely a bit of mush that comes out of the grain as a result of soaking it. If you're still sure it's a sprout, try putting it in some dirt and see if it will grow.

On the other hand, if you live in Japan, you may have some viable rice that does actually sprout.

There are some (but not all) brands of wild rice available that are sproutable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables