Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Help lowering Blood Pressure
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 07, 2007 02:25AM

I posted in the juicing forum asking for help with juices to lower my blood pressure. I have read in the book "A Handbook on Health" that a juice fast can help to quickly bring your blood pressure under control (quickly being several days).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had and ideas suggestions? I am a 34 year old male who ways ~270lbs, and my blood pressure with 146/80 on Monday when I went to my Doc for an unrelated problem (Poison Oak). I guess this blood pressure being so high for no reason has acted as a wake up call for me, and I am looking to go all out to get my weight and blood pressure under control.

To start with, I have started eating vegetarian for 2 of my 3 meals. All week (including Monday before the Dr. appt), I have been eating oatmeal with honey for breakfast and then veggies/salad for lunch. I have been eating a "normal" meal for dinner and then fruit for desert (Dr. put me on Prenisone for the Poison oak and it has to be taken with food).

In addition to my vitamins (Melaleuca Vitality Pak), I have added Vitamin E (800IU), Garlic Oil (1000IU), Lecithin (2 TBS), and Vitamin C (4000 IU) to help with the blood pressure (all recommendations from the afore mentioned book). I know I need to go completely raw, but am wondering if there are specific veggies/fruits that would be more benefitial to my circumstances?

I have to revisit my Dr. in about 2 weeks for a follow up, and I really don't want to go on blood pressure meds (way to many side affects), so I am looking to make radical long term changes now.

Thanks for any advice,

Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help lowering Blood Pressure
Posted by: Seren ()
Date: June 07, 2007 02:59AM

I was told my blood pressure had shot up from being very low to very high i nthe space of about 3 months. I've been a vegetarian for about 12 years now and it's always been at a healthy level. I did start gaining weight quickly with no drastic changes in my diet. I did eat a lot of microwave meals and chocolate. My doctor told me to seriously cut down my carb intake (being veg this was hard for me as this left me with veg and fruit to eat if I couldn;t have my breads and pastas).

I was told to lose about 10-15 pounds first to see if my weight was the cause.
I joined the gym and now do cardio every single day for at least 30 minutes and also I go to cardio kickboxing and strength training classes. While I didn't lose anymore than 5 pounds my blood pressure came right down.

Do cardio and you should be fine, it's that simple (unless the blood pressure is due to kidney problems etc.)

Another remedie which is not recommended by doctors but is a traditional cure is to drink a glass of warm water with 1 tablespoon cider vinegar with some honey mixed in. I tried it and it works, but self medicating isn't always the best idea since you can do some damage to your kidneys if you take in too much vinegar.

Best of Luck

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: June 07, 2007 03:19AM

Hi Chris, Eating more fresh fruits/veggies will help lower BP in the long run. Your doctor may prescribe medication but it is your choice to fill the prescription.

I lowered my BP by reducing mucus forming foods, aka cooked and acid-forming foods. I also took 1 rounded teaspoonfuls of Kal C-crystals 5x's/day every 2.5 hours apart. (Begin around 7A or 7:30A in the morning. Be close to the restroom. You will likely urinate and have diarrhea.) I used the entire 8 oz bottle. Alternatively use half bottle and then after 7 wks use the remaining half. Do this at least once per year for maintainance. Prior to raw, my BP was around 110/80. After being modifed raw for about 2.5 years and going through some cleanses and the vitamin C treatment, my BP was 90/60 (I think 90 was the top number, it might have been lower but the 60 is correct). When I did some research, I found that this BP was in line with a toddler.

Avoid cranberries, plums, brussel sprouts as they are very acidic even though raw.

Also only use natural sea salt vs. manufactured if you want salt.

Good luck.
Therese

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 08, 2007 05:39PM

When I was eating cooked foods and had high blood pressure, what did it for me was to reduce the salt in my diet. You might play with reducing salt until your blood pressure normalizes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables