Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is beer raw? Is wine raw?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 12, 2007 05:10PM

Is beer or wine raw??? Is liquor raw? Let me know guys!!! Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is beer raw? Is wine raw?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 12, 2007 11:17PM

No. If it's in a bottle, it has to have been pre-pasturized or chemically stabilized in order to avoid bacteriological growth. This is true of any processed item made to sit on a shelf for 10 years. LOL.

-When I used to make my own beer, they (rightly) indicated that one should boil the wort (sweet mixture) prior to fermentation....to make sure one had a sterile medium to introduce the yeast. Then the yeast could ferment without any outside contamination. If this was not done, then you ran the danger of the growth of wild microorganisms.

Best case scenario: You are drinking yeast crap (or distilled yeast crap)! LOL. Remember, though, that there are no raw food police. If YOU feel beer/wine/liquor is a vital food/consumable - I encourage you to consume more of it!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: June 12, 2007 11:28PM

What about fermented foods? They have to be heated also?

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: June 13, 2007 01:28AM

well this is getting off topic..but there are different types of fermentation.

the laco-fermentation of vegetables supposedly creates a 'healthy' and contained ammount of bacteria.

if you buya jar of fermented beets from a farmers market..its raw...and 'edible' uncooked (at least as far as beets go)

but whether its a healthful food is up to ones own discretion...most contain salt..and are pretty much inedible without salt. I also think most starches need to be cooked to be enjoyed..people can do there best to get around that but doesn't change my opinion on what/how to eat.

as for alochol, I copied this from a past post...

most people find that they lose interest in that kind of stimulation (wrong word for this kind of substance) from external things eventually I would think.

the other issues is having it on top of digesting food. and how its made/ingredients I think with wine its much differnt then with beer (grains)

whenever this kind of thing came up for me, I couldn't make it work in the way I wanted to so I gave it up. alot of it comes down to food combining. like if I knew I couldn't have a wine or beer with a 'meal' socially with friends, it lost all appeal to me. was I going to set aside a time to have alcohol by myself on my own time on an empty stomach or in the morning? LOL

I did some research for awhile on what hard alcohols might be acceptable due to their components. I found pure rum to be the best option because it was just fermented sugar cane...then I relized how obsessive/nerdy this pursuit was and decided to just stay raw sober..haha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2007 01:32AM by anaken.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: June 13, 2007 07:50PM

Beer is cooked, not for the reason David states (although sterilization is important), but for a starch/sugar convertion from the grains that requires heat. There is a really old beer (or pre-beer drink, 1000s of years ago) that is raw, but I don't remember it's name. Booze has been around a lot longer that we've know about sterile environments.

Wine and champain which has been made properly is raw, even if it's in a bottle. Apple cider is another raw alcohol (if may properly), infact it's impossible to make real cider from pasturized apple juice (most ciders rely on wild yeast for fermentation, so that apples can't even be washed!).

The only hard liquor I've heard of that could be considered raw is apple jack, which involves freezing cider and pouring off the alcohol.

Good luck!
Ian.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables