Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Growing Fruit and Veg in S.Florida?
Posted by: Seren ()
Date: June 13, 2007 02:57AM

Does anyone living in S.Florida grow anything themselves? I'm wondering how you would manage with all the bugs and mosquitos etc. without using pesticides (I wouldn't have a clue where to start with the natural ways).
Other than that I'm assuming the conditions would be perfect for growing most things (Just wondering how I could make this any cheaper for myself in the long run).
Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Growing Fruit and Veg in S.Florida?
Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: June 14, 2007 06:00PM

Seren,

I got some figs growing the brown Turkish ones I bought a few years back the last three years been getting a good amount and also have a big panama cherry tree eight months out of the year I can get a cup to two cups of cherries a day off the tree it is packed with them right know very easy to grow the fastest growing tree even faster then a papaya with papaya's I will bag them when they come in the early fall but in the winter I had no problem with fruit flies.
Also Florida is known for oranges they should be no problem .
I have a sour orange tree that was here when I moved in.
Here is some info on Panama Cherry [en.wikipedia.org]

Cherimoya

LOve Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 14, 2007 06:45PM

David Z. Mason is growing stuff in florida but im not exactly sure where ..check out his site or ask him here smiling smiley

its at [www.rawfoodfarm.com]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 14, 2007 07:37PM

Sure. I'm growing a lot of stuff.......and I've grown in the tropical AND subtropical regions of Florida. The FL environment is very versatile, and you can probably get what you want.........as long as the item does not require any significant chill hours (like many stone-fruits).

-If you are growing short-season, cool-weather veggies....then a good square foot, raise-bed garden or small container garden is an easy solution. In the summer, you are basically doing tomatoes, peppers, melons & okra.

-In any event, you want to watch for your standard pests.....slugs......cutworms........snails....aphids.......and you can use a soapy spray....or cayenne peppper mixture to dis-suade these guys when they show up. Keep your plants well-watered but not water-logged. Only LIGHTLY fertillize with something....no more than once per month. Always water the base of the plant...and never the leaves and foiliage.

-For fruit trees and bushes, you have to exercise a bit of care. Make sure they are well-positioned...and getting plenty of light and watering on a regular basis. Always plant a companion tree (or multiple varieties)....even if they don't NEED it for pollination.

So: Plant the right stuff for the right time of year (Tomatoes, Peppers, Okra & Melons in the warm months......and all the other veggies & vines in the cool months starting in October. Don't try to start ANYTHING in the heat of August.

-If you had some specific kinds of fruit trees / shrubs in mind......let me know and I can make some recommendations. No problem.

-I hope this is helpful to you.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables