Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Need Advice on Self-styled, Raw, Warm Climate Retreat
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: June 17, 2007 03:20AM

I'm thinking about going south for a few months this fall, to do some fasting, juice cleansing and resting. I'd like to drive with my daughter and dog to either SCal or Arizona, most likely. I'd want to rent a calm, quiet, unpolluted place for 3-6 months, where we could just BE, sleep and fast when we wanted to. We don't want to stay at an established retreat (too pricey and regimented), just want to relax away from our usual surroundings and habits. We would drive there from Vancouver, Canada.

If anyone has experience with renting someplace short term (3-6 months), like a Snowbird, I guess, please post some advice.

If you have suggestions for the best locations, I'd love to know - I haven't been in the south-west states for about 13 years and things must have changed lots since then.

I really liked Phoenix for the non-conventional bookstores, etc, but also love the coast.

We're looking for a warm - climate, with organic produce available and a clean 2 bedroom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Advice on Self-styled, Raw, Warm Climate Retreat
Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: June 17, 2007 09:30AM

have you considered mexico? not girls gone wild mexico, but like guadalajara?

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 17, 2007 01:12PM

Although I don't know Phoenix (I'm going there in October for RawSpiritFest, you are going to want to call the Rental Offices of the major real-estate offices.....in the areas that you are thinking about staying. Let them know your price range........and the duration of your stay. They'll go to bat to get you a list of places.......and save you some leg work.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: June 17, 2007 05:54PM

pihourova Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> have you considered mexico? not girls gone wild
> mexico, but like guadalajara?

No, but I would consider it.

Have you been - I never have, and if you have any ideas or advice on renting a little, quiet place, I would love to know.

It would be a little further than Cal or Phoenix, but probably only a day's drive.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

BTW, I think my daughter is also interested in diving, though she hasn't tried it.
Guess Mexico would be a great place to learn it.

Date: June 17, 2007 05:55PM

davidzanemason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Although I don't know Phoenix (I'm going there in
> October for RawSpiritFest, you are going to want
> to call the Rental Offices of the major
> real-estate offices.....in the areas that you are
> thinking about staying. Let them know your price
> range........and the duration of your stay.
> They'll go to bat to get you a list of
> places.......and save you some leg work.
>
> -David Z. Mason

Cool! Didn't know about the RawSpiritFest, so if we wind up there for Oct, we have something else to look forward to! Thanks.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: June 17, 2007 07:42PM

I lived in Phoenix for over 20 years. Unless you like heat and pollution, I suggest avoiding it in the heat of summer. Typically, Phx gets around 105-115 degrees F in the summer. At night, it cools off to around 100 degrees. You could stay outside of Phoenix and it will be a little cooler but I suggest S. California instead. La Jolla area is beautiful outside of San Diego. You could do an internet search for various options. S. California is more temperate and you have the beach. Even the Phoenicians typically go to California for vacation during summer.

I'm not saying I don't like Phx as it is beautiful (I consider it my hometown) but coming from Canada, you might not like the dry heat. Also, in summer there is what is called "inversion". The pollution stays in the Valley b/c the there is little wind to take out the air pollutants. There is great discount shopping in Phx. Chandler has a huge Asian market that has all sorts of imported fruits/veggies. The store is called Lee Lee and is on the NE corner of Dobson & Warner. I met a lady at Last Chance and she was living in Canada and came to shop there. LOL.

Good luck on your decision.

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: June 18, 2007 07:16AM

if plan on diving in mexico you MUST go to cozumel. but i would not recomend driving there.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 18, 2007 02:46PM

*climbs in to Aqua's luggage*

take meeeeeeee take meeeeeeee ! lol =)

when i went to nepal for a 2 week vacation and ended up staying a year , i tell ya it was the best thing ever being able to just slowwwwwww down and rest

=)

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: June 18, 2007 05:06PM

Hey David. Maybe Khale and I will see you at the Raw Spirit Fest. Are you driving? Interested in a caravan? I can't wait, not only for the fest but for seeing the beautiful country there.

I wish I could go with you guys aquadecoco. Sounds like heaven. I live on the gulf coast in Louisiana. It is very balmy here. It would be wonderful to go somewhere drier for a while.

Posted by: elover6 ()
Date: June 18, 2007 05:27PM

I heard at the last festival the fridges went out and alot of people got sick on the nut pattes so maybe bring coolers for yore own peace of mind peace and bless to you all ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: June 18, 2007 09:54PM

OOh yuck. thanks for the advise.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables