Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

work interfeering with your diet....
Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 17, 2007 09:28AM

Okay I thought I would make a seperate post as I was bunging up the 7wk thread with my blabber!

So here we go, my manager and I had a review as usual monthly to chat. Before going raw I had some major probs with my crohns, this was really affecting my ability to work, live, leave the house. However I have kicked it into remission and have had the best/healthiest 12 weeks of my life!

Anyway he brings up, he has noticed my diet is "limited", and is worried I will be tired and need rest time. However says if I am tired because of eating the way I do he will let me work shorter hours.

I was kind of blown away. For once I am not tired, and am eating well. Rather than pre-raw- was living on soda, chewing gum and baby food if I could keep it down. This sort of ridiculous mentality is annoying me. How am I eating a "Limited" diet by filling mysefl with organic fresh produce all day everyday!?!...

What is the best way to deal with this, any suggestions would be most welcome. He is now worried I am not "fit" to work, basically is reviewing me in 2 months because of this. So I am freaking out to say the least. (Dont worry I am taking this up with the union)

I guess I forgot how people who eat SAD can percieve this diet.

I am loosing weight, but I am healthier than I have been in 5 years. I have my life back. But now my lifestyle is coming under scrutiny...

Any help, words of wisedom would be great!

Thank you

Raw_dancer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: work interfeering with your diet....
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 17, 2007 01:16PM

Remember that you have to set BOUNDARIES. Your eating habit is a very private affair. You need to make very certain (if you haven't in the past) to critical people......including friends and family....that you are VERY happy.....and that your diet is NOT a topic for discussion......any more than your sex life.....or religious views.

-If you enable or allow this discussion on some one else's part.......then that is entirely on you. ;

-You let people know you've heard their concerns - and you thank them. That's all.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: khale ()
Date: June 17, 2007 03:55PM

One thing I've discovered personally is that you can't please the critics. I'm criticized for eating an extreme, crazy diet on the one hand and THEN, when I get off of it, or slip up and eat something the critics call "normal", then they laugh and point and say, "is that raw Kathleen?" "They" just want you to be in the soup that they're in.

davidzanemason is right on - this is YOUR diet and YOUR life. One can't eat for someone else.

khale

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 17, 2007 04:06PM

Thank you

Yes I understand what you are saying.

Guess I just have to hold out the next two months and see what happens with work. I am capable of doing my job so shouldnt have to be threatened with being sacked over this.

I will keep focused.

Thank you both of you for the replies.

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: June 17, 2007 06:00PM

I'm curious how the subject came up at all with the boss.

In any case, I would thank him for his concern and then steer the conversation firmly and pointedly to your work performance and attendance. Ask him if there are any parts of your performance he is unhappy with, or could use improvement.

Also keep a written diary of conversations with him (including date and time) as well as a detailed record of your work attendance, time you arrive and leave from work, duties performed, etc. This objective record of your attendance and job performance will be useful if you are ever challenged.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 17, 2007 06:42PM

if he were my boss
i would definetely know how to take care of the situation

bozos don't intimidate me

but strangely enough,
they do end up scarfing half my salad as soon as i leave the table

invite him over for lunch
fix him some yummy raw foods
that will "knock him out"

then do brain surgery on him ( cuz he needs it... needs to get his head screwed on straight if he thinks fruits and veggies are a potential work hazard)

and all will be fine

Posted by: Elakti ()
Date: June 17, 2007 06:46PM

Good suggestions and reminders here. I would also like to add that this gives you a lovely piece of motivation of even deeper responsiblity to yourself...make this a wonderful 2 month period of beautiful diet, plenty of sleep, etc! smiling smiley Let your 'limited diet' speak for itself. smiling smiley
Elakti

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: June 17, 2007 07:24PM

RawD, Congrats on your health improvement and taking responsibility for your own health. So many are not willing but continue to complain about the illnesses that they would rather have than give up the foods that they love.

I agree with everyone above but I see more. I suggest that this might be a time for change. Consider if you really want to work where you are. You might want to start looking for a better paying job and then in the future, keep your diet more private. What your boss is really telling you is that he is considering firing you. Being in a situation that is intimidating is not my idea of living. People can make up all sorts of excuses to fire somebody whether they be true or not. He couldn't fire you due to Crohn's disease b/c of FMLA (Family Medial Leave Act) but he can fire you for something else.

I get comments about my food limitations and I just ignore them. Some battles are not worth fighting as I feel my diet is my own and others can say what they like but they are not going to have to suffer the health consequences if I live down to their standards. What I would rather like to say to them is that I don't criticize their diet so I prefer them to stay out of mine. (I will tell people this if they get too out of line.) These people don't realize how offensive they are being.

Anyhow, good luck. Therese

Posted by: Kit ()
Date: June 18, 2007 05:37AM

rawdanceruk,

I don't know what crohns is or what the situation was w/ it affecting your ability to work.
I do wonder what business your diet is to your boss.

At my job I decided not to breath a word of my raw food transition. Some have commented at break "You're eating healthy" etc. I keep it low key and say "Yeah, I'm trying to eat more salads".

If all the guys knew I was into raw food there's no telling what some of them would do w/ that info. Sometimes if you are different it's like they smell blood.

As it is I'm surely different but I think (I hope) they mostly see me as hard working and friendly. So maybe I'm different in a good way. Later down the road, if I ever feel comfortable enough, I may reveal I'm into raw foods.

Whether you stay at your job or move on I would say to remember (much like David said) you dont have to disclose all about your diet. Good advice from all above responses.

Good luck, I hope all goes well.

Kit

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 18, 2007 08:11AM

kit says

<<Sometimes if you are different it's like they smell blood.>>

ha ha.. good way to put it

vampirishly they gravitate towards the salad eaters trying to suck their chlorophyll out of their skin

but the salad eaters use their telekinetic prowess to ward off the chlorophyll
pilferers

wow.. some people just need to know how to make their OWN salad instead of trying to hone in on the salad eaterszz

whattta world we live in tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 18, 2007 02:43PM

what you eat is none of his business and if he pressures or persists to harrass you about it id make darn sure to bring it up to someone over his head.

eating fruit and vegetables is not something weird , or unsual or wacky , its part of a well balanced diet , it gets so nauseating that the average diet has strayed so far that someone trying to eat a bit healthier is considered somehow freakish ... arggg it makes my head want to explode!

he is causing you stress on the job and during your personal time that you did not ask for and thats harrassment

/rant off =)

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

mmmm- colors?
Posted by: rainbowgrl ()
Date: June 18, 2007 06:22PM

Remember to be colorful with your dress. If your face is white, wear blush. That had an impression on a boy I know- "that doesn't look like a raw food eater."

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: June 18, 2007 08:00PM

Yes, I agree with the views presented. You need to set limits and your diet, I don't see how it is your boss's concern. Your work and your schedule and your skills etc are the only areas where he can "Monitor" progress, not your diet.

I also have a friend who means well and I have not even told her about the raw foods diet that I do. But I just told her that I quit dairy and thats all. She sees me everytime and tells me that I have lost weight (I have) and she is soooooo concerned. Everytime she says how she eats a balanced meal by drinking a glass of milk and how her father is also healthy, and drinks a glass of milk.

I tried to explain to her, that dairy is not a must and I have improved my health by quiting dairy foods. But she turns a deaf ear to all that. I explained about almond milk, same response. I get annoyed some times and think I don't have to explain this to any one. I don't want to hurt any one, But always have to explain to her that I am just trying to shed the extra fat, thats all.

Actually I still have 10 more lb to lose, but have lost about 7 so far.

In any case, its your choice, and your boss has to accept that. Your life, your call.

Anu

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables