Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is it possible to be allergic to Raw foods?
Date: June 19, 2007 08:37PM

My reason for asking is because I'm thinking that all the signs that I'm having is the detox stages. But as I've been reading and reading and reading more and more about how people are allergic to raw foods..... is that possible? I know that all raw living green foods are good for you, so it can't be, right? I'm new to eating raw since the 1st of this month. I'm 75% raw (only one small meal is cooked a day). I became a Vegan 4/24/07, and I stopped smoking, drinking soda, coffee and tea in December 2006.

My symptoms are sore throat, stuffy nose, phlegmy, coughing, headache, and brittle nails.

I did notice some improvments, like no more backaches, hardly anymore hair loss, and clearer vision.

But I'm really tired of everyone saying, "You're still sick? It's that diet you're on!" I am really stuffy and phlegmy!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it possible to be allergic to Raw foods?
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: June 19, 2007 10:53PM

Dee, You're going through detox. A cold/flu is mother nature's way of ridding the body of mucus which was caused by cooked food, etc. You can take MSM to help with the brittle nails. I think horsetail tea is supposed to help, too. When I first became raw, I was sick 2 weeks straight. I got sick again a few more times that year, too. I knew it was the body eliminating mucus.

You cannot be allergic to raw foods in general. You can be allergic to specific food items or a specific food b/c it is in an altered state but that is a different story. For example, some people can eat cooked garlic but not raw garlic but that is really a spice and not a meal. The difference between the cooked and raw is basically that the cooked deteriorates the enzymes in the food item. There will be a taste difference between cooked vs raw but that doesn't indicate an allergy.

Welcome to detox!

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: June 20, 2007 05:10AM

We put all kinds of toxins in our bodies for years and then it gets a chance to come out ........... it's not pretty when it does ......... it gives you lots of time to think about what you did before ..... and can be so unpleasant that I've scurried back to cooked or junk just to 'comfort' myself after having the unpleasant symptoms - but that doesn't work.

Don't worry, you sound normal and detox can have a huge variety of symptoms - I got irritated, itchy skin on the backs of my hands today, but it's mostly gone now.
Sometimes ppl feel too restless to sleep, or feel tired all the time, get acne, dry skin, thirst, nausea, depressed, elated, etc., but the calm kicks in from time to time as a reminder of what's ahead. Best of luck to you.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 20, 2007 05:47AM

it could be cross contamination too from pollens from other plants you might be allergic too

or latex? alot of fruit/veggie handlers now have to wear latex gloves while handling

i have a friend who is very latex sensitive and this is a problem with her .. she needs to buy stuff locally knowing whos beenhandling it .. its quite a problem

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 20, 2007 06:15AM

<<But I'm really tired of everyone saying, "You're still sick? It's that diet you're on!" I am really stuffy and phlegmy!!>>

just say " yeah? so what?" and keep doing your best to clarify your cells

you get the benefit

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: June 20, 2007 02:35PM

Being allergic to raw foods is unlikely. Some food intolerances can be there. Even though it may likely be detox, no one really knows you or exactly what's going on, what you are doing and your history. Do not simply, blindly or carelessly attribute it to "detox".

Be careful and monitor yourself. Go slower if you feel the need. Still, give things time and read as much as you can, to get "properly" educated and don't just ignore prolonged symptoms if you are concerned. Make sure you are suppling yourself with the calories and proper raw foods you need in the proper amounts daily.

You say you are 75% also - That 25% leaves alot of unkown for someone to know what's going on.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: June 20, 2007 03:16PM

There is information in Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar Book about this very subject. This is the jest of what it says about people who say they are allergic to fruits and vegetables.

Your body becomes so saturated with toxic poisons, mucus and putrid food residues that when you eat any fresh fruits you can get allergic reactions, hives, colds, headaches etc. But the "allergic" symptoms are your bodies natural self-cleaning responses to cleaning the toxic substances out so your body can be healthy and clean. So, they are not really allergic to these foods.

It says you can heal by taking braggs apple cider vinegar (you can visit at bragg.com) daily, and with careful nutrition (step by step improving your diet)and fasting peridically (one day a week perhaps)."

Love,
Prism

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2007 03:18PM by Prism.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: June 20, 2007 04:47PM

deegarry@yahoo.com Wrote:

I'm new to eating raw since the 1st of
> this month. I'm 75% raw (only one small meal is
> cooked a day). I became a Vegan 4/24/07, and I
> stopped smoking, drinking soda, coffee and tea in
> December 2006.
CONGRATS TO YOU!!!!

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: June 21, 2007 07:17AM

You CAN be allergic to raw foods, it's called salicylate sensitivity (and it's not just raw foods either, it's lots of things), and I have it ;-) The reaction varies from a strange backache- very painful, and sharp, like being hit- hives, swollen throat, sore teeth, itchiness and headaches.

I find that my reaction to fresh, raw fruit and veg is minor compared to the allergies I get when coming into contact with e-numbers like Sodium Benzoate, MonoSodium Glutamate etc.

Interestingly, this allergy runs in my family- mine started in my teens and got worse and worse until I went vegan and became a label-reader.

I believe mine kicked off in relation to the massive amounts of aspartame I had when growing up. I like to think that if I stay raw, stay healthy and detox, I can get over it.

Anyway, if you think you're experiencing something similar, keep a food diary and try to work out a pattern (a lot of bath products contain things like sodium benzoate, so sometimes it's not just your food). From what I've read, tomatoes and almonds seem to kick people off the most.

Date: June 21, 2007 02:23PM

Thanks everyone, I'm pretty sure I'm just going through detox. But I haven't thought of what rawnoggin said,

"a lot of bath products contain things like sodium benzoate, so sometimes it's not just your food"

I will check into that.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: June 22, 2007 07:15PM

I found it easier to "detox" through fasting and then going right to raw foods. Fasting is a faster detox and without having to digest food your body concentrates on just getting rid of the mucus and junk.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: June 22, 2007 07:51PM

I think detox takes many years and continues on many levels thereafter...I don't think you can jump-fast your way through it. If you could, you wouldn't have to eat ever again! LOL

I think you can blindly attribute pretty much anything to detox..in a way...doesn't mean you shouldn't change or do something about it.

if you are sensative to particular fruits, you might need to avoid those fruits (after first making sure you are eating them ripe). Some people might have to stick to the lower GI fruits, even those all the processed grains and stuff are higher GI, doesn't matter, some conditions of the body will make it less tolerant to its natural grub.

one bit of harsh reality...its not rare for people to take time off from their jobs, stresses, on such occasions...in fact it seems to be quite common among some longer term folks on this board.

best other option is not holding to impossible standards. Even if you can handle things dietarily (ie staying raw) but not the symptoms..you might want to adjust your routine, scale things back. but in your case avoid as much mucus forming stuff, which is tuff because most dense things are.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables