Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bananas
Posted by: myst1kst0rm ()
Date: June 19, 2007 09:14PM

I just found this great link about bananas!!

[www.vitalhealthnews.org]

Just wanted to share! smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bananas
Date: June 19, 2007 09:42PM

That's excellent, I've seen this in one of my emails recently. I love bananas!

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: June 20, 2007 03:00PM

thank you. i am addicted to bananas.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: June 20, 2007 03:21PM

No wonder one of my fav evening snacks is a banana and strawberries.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 20, 2007 03:49PM

Hey, did anyone notice that in the link about bananas under smoking cessation it says that bananas have B12. I thought fruit didnt have any B12. huh.
BTW thanks for the link!
blur

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: June 20, 2007 04:07PM

Yeah, I posted a link to a site claiming that a couple of months ago. Some say bananas have B12 but most don't.
One thing is for certain though, the banana is one tasty fruit!

Phil.

--------------------------------------------------

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: June 20, 2007 04:20PM

i love bananas too.
I try to limit myself to 1 or 2 per day.
How many bananas do you all eat?

Date: June 20, 2007 04:40PM

3-4 a day

Date: June 20, 2007 05:08PM

I eat 2-4 a day. I eat them with strawberries, and I have to add one to my smoothie. I like to eat them alone too, which is what I had this morning. Peppermint tea, then a large perfectly ripe banana.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: bronwynsun ()
Date: June 20, 2007 06:24PM

5, 6, 7....i think i had 9 one day, once. i love them!

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: June 20, 2007 07:22PM

That was a fun site Myst. Very interesting stuff I'd never heard. Thanks!

One other neat fact about bananas is that they're one of the few fruits harvested year-round.

Rosemary, I eat at least 10 bananas almost every day (!), but they're the apple bananas, so they're about half size.

About the B12, if bananas have B12 in them, it's probably from fruit fly larvae (which most bananas only get if they haven't been well fertilized or if they've been left to rot). Nutritional charts list their B12 content as 0% DV.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2007 07:24PM by suncloud.

Date: June 20, 2007 08:34PM

were eating fruit fly larvae??? ack!!! LOL

Date: June 20, 2007 09:27PM

LOL Myst!

No, we're not eating frit fly larvae, thank goodness.

Maybe you missed the part in my post that's in parentheses. smiling smiley

We'd know if we were eating fruit fly larvae because they leave tracks (not bruises) inside the bananas.

Date: June 20, 2007 09:34PM

well it is raw...lmao Just kidding. Ive never heard of the fly larvae before, I hope I haven't ever eaten any either!! winking smiley

I heard once that the non-organic bananas have tons of pesticides because where they are grown they dont have many regulations..has anyone else heard this before?

Posted by: Forrest ()
Date: June 20, 2007 11:50PM

I eat at least 6 a day, and up to 15 a day of the big, burly cavendishes. I am also about to plant 5 or 6 different kinds: Gran Nain, Goldfinger, Misi Luki, Praying Hands, Orinoco and mayyyyyybe Blue Java. We'll see. But yes I love bananas very very much. Straight yellow, not much green, not much brown speckling=perfection.

Date: June 21, 2007 01:26AM

Where do you live Forrest?

Love,
Prism

Date: June 21, 2007 08:20AM

Myst, It might depend on where the bananas are grown. Some places have pests that carry banana diseases and if they're nonorganic, the grower will spray them regularly with pesticides. All bananas require lots and lots of nitrogen fertilizer and potassium to get big for selling, and if the bananas are nonorganic, the fertilizer is petroleum based. Also, since they're tropical, and tropical foliage can be excessive, the growing area around nonorganic bananas is often drenched with herbicide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2007 08:22AM by suncloud.

Date: June 21, 2007 08:57AM

Myst, I forgot to say that one reason commercial bananas don't usually require a lot of pesticides (unless there are disease carrying pests) is that from the time they begin to flower up until harvesting, the stalk is usually covered with a big perforated plastic bag to keep away bugs and scrapes that often won't harm the bananas, but will make them harder to sell.

Nonorganic bananas do have lots of chems though from the fertilizers and herbicides.

Date: June 21, 2007 11:20AM

One problem with bananas beside being hybrid is that the nutrients and the sugars are in decaying state. Plantains are more resistant. If you leave a banana and an apple on a table for few days, the banana will not survive.

Posted by: rrraw ()
Date: June 21, 2007 11:51AM

That's not my experience. There is a natural hybridization of fruits in nature and when humans pick the seeds from the best tasting bananas we're doing what nature does. Hybridization may highten the sugar content and lower the nutrients. What we do then is to eat less fruit to get our calories and more tender and leafy greens for the nutrients. My experience is that the organic bananas I buy last for a week or longer on my table.

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: June 21, 2007 03:33PM

a professional athlete told me she eats 20 bananas every day!
i'm a little concerned about high GI, so I limit it.

Posted by: rrraw ()
Date: June 21, 2007 05:39PM

If you¡re eating fat in single digits, it is almost impossible to get too much sugar. The sugar flows in and out of the body efficiently when you're not having fat blocking it.

Date: June 22, 2007 11:05AM

Bananas are high in sugar, low in minerals
[www.feralfoods.org]

Date: June 22, 2007 11:42AM

great link! thank you.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 22, 2007 11:55AM

Forrest says:

<<eat at least 6 a day, and up to 15 a day of the big, burly cavendishes. I am also about to plant 5 or 6 different kinds: Gran Nain, Goldfinger, Misi Luki, Praying Hands, Orinoco and mayyyyyybe Blue Java>>

wow... such exotic names..

makes u wanna have some bananas! grinning smiley

check out those namezzz... names to LIVE for ... "GOLDfinger?" PRAYING hands?

BLUE java? sounds like something out of a beautiful forest

dangsmiling smiley

i never even knew such kinds of bananas existed

we got interestin people on board here

no wonder i love this place

Posted by: Forrest ()
Date: June 22, 2007 10:52PM

look at this website! [webebananas.com] it has like a billion types with the pics and descriptions of a lot of them. read what they say about the ice cream/blue java one, you will want to try it so badly.

I live in San Diego, which is a coastal town at the very southwest tip of CA

edit: praying hands is awesome! look at the pics of the fruit bunches!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2007 10:53PM by Forrest.

Date: June 23, 2007 04:25AM

If I have solid yellow ones at home I'll eat 8-10 in a day. I've tried making bananas my main calorie source which some people do. But I end up with a messed up stomach after a few days, so I've put an end to that. Still, sometimes I'll just eat 9 bananas for a meal at work sometimes. If they are solid yellow they are very easy to digest. I'd do that every day if my bowels could handle it.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 24, 2007 08:28AM

from an old banana postcard lol

A bananas really sweet
but when its skin lies on the street
To avoid it you should always be particular
For its very apt you bet
Not only to upset
Youre temper, but likewise
your perpendicular !!

haha anyways heres the banana site winking smiley
[www.bananamuseum.com]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: June 24, 2007 03:36PM

They are very dampening in the body and unless you are outside in hot climates they will make your body retain water. Their glycemic index is so high that raises your blood sugar way to fast. I tend to want the juicer foods. They are almost always picked green. When picked green it doesn't allow the phytochemicals and nutrients to mature. This can only happen when picked tree-ripened. The trees are also injected with steroids. They are a genetically man-mad fruit. Bananas are highly hybridized. They have lost their ability to reproduce. They are actually a hybrid from a plantain. They are very addictive. 1/6 of total produce sales in North America is from bananas. Go to a grocery store and you will see bananas in almost everyones cart. They are the starchiest fruit in nature. They are mucous forming and if someone has asthma I would hope they know not to eat them. I only eat fruits that have not lost their ability to reproduce. I do not eat hybrid fruit. Do research on hybrids and you won't want to eat them either. It's just best to avoid bananas if possible.

[sitekreator.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2007 03:38PM by djatchi.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 24, 2007 10:44PM

I love bananas. During the non-summer months of the year, they are my staple.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables