Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

fruits and nuts
Posted by: dewey ()
Date: June 21, 2007 05:21AM

why aren't you supposed to mix them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fruits and nuts
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: June 21, 2007 07:14AM

Haven't the foggiest! I mix them all the time with no problem whatsoever. Been doing it for decades! Walnuts and blackberries. Almonds and peaches. Papayas and sunflower seeds. Bananas and macadamia nuts. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! smiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smiley

Avocado is an oily fruit, and it goes well with just about any juicy fruit under the sun (for me anyway).

Maybe some people have trouble digesting oil and water together. Those people should probably eat nuts and fruits separately.

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: June 21, 2007 03:30PM

The oil and water issue does make some sense actually. I guess thats why some people say eat dried fruit with nuts, hhhmmm.

Phil.

--------------------------------------------------

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Posted by: m ()
Date: June 21, 2007 10:10PM

i think it's because fruits digest very quickly and nuts digest slowly (due to the high protein and fat content). if you eat them together, the fruit may ferment in the intestines since the protein/fat inhibit the fruit from digesting quickly. this may cause gas and bloating in SOME individuals.

for me, if i eat dried fruit and nuts together i get gassy. but, fresh fruit and soaked nuts don't seem to bother me if i don't overeat them at any given meal/time.

love,
m.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 21, 2007 10:40PM

-There are no raw food police - so you can find out what works for you......but M said it right.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: June 22, 2007 01:07AM

thank you smiling smiley alot of it just seems so overwhelming when my goal is to be healthy and simple smiling smiley but that actually goes for anything once you delve into it....complexitiessmiling smiley

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: June 24, 2007 09:37PM

I ate grapes with pecans last night and definitely regret it.

I had a terrible stomachache this morning with dysentery and vomiting. NEVER AGAIN!

I didn't soak the pecans either, maybe that was it. All is well now.

david

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: June 24, 2007 11:34PM

Hi dvdai,

So sorry about the stomach ache!

Were the pecans organic? The reason I'm asking is that I've gotten really really sick to my stomach - I mean gut wrenching pain - 3 times after eating nuts and seeds, and coincidentally, each time was after eating nonorganic nuts and seeds.

These days it also seems like my seeds digest a lot better when they're soaked, though it doesn't seem to matter for me with nuts.

Of course everybody's different, and that's always very much evident to me, since I seem to be one of the few people (if not the only one) on this forum who has to limit greens, because of sensitivity issues.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 04, 2007 10:59AM

I'm very new to the raw food lifestyle. In fact I'm only having a raw breakfast at the moment.
Can you tell me how you know if the seeds, nuts and dried, fruits you eat are raw? I have no idea. I went to the supermarket yesterday and came away with nothing.
JD

Date: July 05, 2007 10:06PM

Most of the nuts and seeds are listed RAW on it. If you go to the health food store near you, you can ask them there. I have a grocery store named "Publix" and this caters to vegetarians/vegans and Raw foodists. I love it, they have their on isle called "Green Wise" I go striaght to that section and I'm done with my shopping!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 06, 2007 05:07AM

Lots of good info here. If it works to mix them for you, then by all means, mix them. But for me and many raw foodists I know, we have digestive problems when mixing fruits and nuts.

When I first started, this wasn't the case. But as I refined the diet more, and my tastes became simpler, the combinations of fruits and nuts no longer felt good any more.

So if it feels good, then do it. If it feels good now, but later it stops feeling good, then when that happens, just quit mixing fruits and nuts. Until then, don't worry about it.

If it feels good but you have no need to mix them, then don't mix them. If you do this, you might find your healing process going a little faster as not mixing these foods requires less digestive effort.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables