Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

HELP! No energy!
Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: June 27, 2007 02:43AM

One month ago I did the master cleanser. Prior to that I was on Weight Watchers, eating mostly vegetarian and feeling really good. After the MC, I decided to go raw. However, during the MC and following, my blood sugar seems to have become unstable. Years ago I had problems with hypoglycemia and I recognize the symptoms. I feel terrible. No energy and my body feels like lead...hard to function! My regime has been a fruit & protein smoothie for breakfast, salad w/ nuts for lunch and more veggies for dinner...maybe a fruit/nut snack before bed. I walk 5 miles a day. From about 11am forward, I am worthless and not very functional! Anyone have any suggestions? I realize there would be a detox time, but it's been a month now of feeling really bad.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HELP! No energy!
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 27, 2007 02:47AM

Are you eating enough calories? It really helps to put your daily menu into a nutritional calculator like fitday.com, nutridiary.com, or nutritiondata.com and see how many calories you are eating. Also helps to see the fat percentage of the calories you eat. It may be that the fat you eat, while only being 5% of the volume or weight, might actually turn out be be 40% or higher in terms of percentage of calories.

My guess is you are not eating enough fruit. How many calories of fruit do you eat a day?

Date: June 27, 2007 02:54AM

I haven't figured the calories, but usually 2 bananas, 1 cup of strawberries...maybe a fig or two. The rest nuts, seeds & veggies. I haven't lost any weight.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: June 27, 2007 03:14AM

islandgirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I haven't figured the calories, but usually 2
> bananas, 1 cup of strawberries...maybe a fig or
> two. The rest nuts, seeds & veggies. I haven't
> lost any weight.

consider dropping the protein
and the nuts.

and adding in more veggies either alone or in smoothie

and if that's all the fruit you're eating then bryan is correct

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: June 27, 2007 03:42AM

For what it's worth, I've had a lifelong problem with low energy that gets better with raw but doesn't go away completely. Unless I eat lots of fruit. When I eat lots of fruit, I feel wonderful - light, happy and full of energy.

I generally have a big glass of fresh orange juice first thing and a lunch of a lavish fruit salad - one or two bananas, one or two mangos, some berries, maybe a pear, and 4-5 delicious dates. For the first time in my life I'm completely satisfied and full of energy.

Fruit snacks if I'm hungry. Dinner is veggies often with some seed or nut dressing.

Date: June 27, 2007 12:55PM

Bryan, Greenie & Fresh,

Thanks for the input. I think I've been going on the WW mentality and worrying about the sugar in the fruit. I will eat more and see what happens. I love fruit so that should be easy. Thanks again!

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: June 27, 2007 01:39PM

I agree, perhaps drop the nuts and maybe try to eat more fruit, make sure you eat enough! smiling smiley

Phil.

--------------------------------------------------

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: June 29, 2007 03:47PM

maybe get your iron levels (ferritin) tested

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: June 29, 2007 10:04PM

Well, here's my 2 cents:

Some possibilities for your lack of energy could be:

-detox, especially since you just completed the MC. More time raw should eventually clear up this problem.

-an exercise program that is possibly new for you? If it is, sometimes it takes your muscles time to build up to it, and soon you will be more energetic than ever!

-the protein drink. Whatever it is, try going without it and see if you feel better.

-too much nuts. I'd suggest you try just cutting down on nuts rather than cutting them out all together and see if that helps.

Whatever the case, Rosemary's suggestion could never hurt! If your iron levels are low, unhulled (brown) sesame seeds might easily fix the problem. I eat them soaked overnight.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2007 10:13PM by suncloud.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables