Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Tom Billings, ex-fruitarian
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: July 01, 2007 12:09AM

I'm on his website and after reading about the misery he endured while on various raw diets over 30 or 35 years, I have a question for the raw foodies here and especially the fruitarians:

Would you allow yourself to become so emaciated and weak for the sake of adhering to a diet doctrine and

If you did find yourself in that situation, how would you handle it and

Would you assume the fault lay in you or that it wasn't a good diet for you, at that time......

Do you think there is any shame in having to reject a diet doctrine that you dearly wanted to adhere to....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tom Billings, ex-fruitarian
Date: July 01, 2007 12:35AM

As I read further I have to wonder if he ate enough calories - a 6ft.man dropping to 88 lbs, and stable around 115 lbs. He says lots of raw foodists are emaciated.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: July 01, 2007 12:45AM

aquadecoco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
have you seen this?

[www.ecologos.org]

Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: July 01, 2007 12:46AM

aqua is that the name of the book^ or is it an online book,, can you give me the website

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: July 01, 2007 01:04AM

oh boy, another one of these,

the critque is almost as bad as the original

hah

imo, people get too thin/ill not because of commercial produce that lacks nutrients, lack of leaves or whatever.
its deffinetly a cleansing thing.

if someone is eating enough, and becomming excessively thin, I can almost garuntee there is build up of interal wastes. People that want to reject these concepts, that want to have 100% faith (key word is want, not do) in their bodies dealing with the analysis/removal of old wastes. through diet alone, are prone to this same paradigm, reglardless of how diverse, organic, whatever their diet is.

this is where the whole burden of failure thing DOES NOT ring true. It certainly wouldn't be a fault in the person (unless you consider internal deposits...faults) but in the idea of a program, or a routine to be followed towards success

but certainly sticking to something you are intelectually commited to, that isn't bringing you great joy, but is an imposition/complex to be mastered despite the consquences...is uh..not good.

I think the main consensus last time this came around, was the kicker that he considered what he had 'discovered' to be a holy grail of health. this mindset was the problem, not the quality of fruits, lack of variety, quality of soil or whatever. although billings 'calorie paradox' is quite bogus...its plenty easy to get 2000+ calories on fruits alone if that is needed.

Date: July 01, 2007 03:41AM

fuzzy, here it is [www.beyondveg.com]

Yeah, I just find it hard to believe that raw vegan isn't what we're meant to eat, but I know that I am an idealist about many things. Jesus was supposed to condone raw and fasting, and also, to eat whatever was put before one in gratitude to the host. Diet was supposed to be more than just what we put in our mouths and swallowed, it was about connection and gratitude to Mother Earth and Father Sky (one way to put it), a way of being humble and simple and not involving oneself too deeply with the ways of people (by putting too much focus on it).

anaken do you mean that Billings now believes that he wasn't mentally comfortable with raw - cuz even now he is raw but not raw vegan.

fresh - no, I'm going to read it when I get back home - it looks interesting, if pretty critical.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 01, 2007 04:30PM

This topic was discussed in this thread called "Tom Billings dietary failures".

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: July 01, 2007 10:08PM

Thank you all so much for this. Bryan, especially, I'm going to dig into that thread later. <3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables