Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do you have to be 100% to lose weight?
Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: July 04, 2007 01:23PM

Since going raw (about 80%) for one month, my weight has stabilized...no weight loss. I still need to lose at minimum 25lbs but would like to lose more like 40lbs. In the past 6 months I've lost 40lbs on Weight Watchers and I'm concerned now that my weight loss has STOPPED! Prior to going raw, I was steadily losing each week. DO you have to be 100% to lose weight? Maybe that is my downfall. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you have to be 100% to lose weight?
Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: July 04, 2007 02:35PM

It depends on what you're eating, raw and other.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 04, 2007 03:09PM

a more reliable form of weight loss is to include some cardio and weight training ... just diet alone is quite slow

if your are already working out you maybe have hit a plateau . if thats the case .. change what your doing for 5-6 weeks smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: July 04, 2007 03:30PM

I walk between 3 & 5 miles daily, 6 days a week. The "non-raw" portion of my diet has been 1-2 servings of whole wheat bread that I grind and bake myself, some grilled veggies...maybe some shashimi...corn chips and salsa once in a while, or a snack of microwave popcorn. It's probably the carbs in the starches....or maybe too many nuts or avaocadoes ?

I'd like to hear from others who have lost weight and what they ate.

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: July 04, 2007 03:43PM

i doubt its carbs in the starches. its probably the starches themselves.

i would cut out all the stuff you mentioned with the exception of the whole wheat bread and grilled veggies. nuts and avocados can only be a problem if you are eatting them in excess. try measuring out the nuts you eat first. instead of just eatting them from the bag.

also, another trick is to eat a really big raw salad before any cooked meal. and wait about 15 minutes. that helped me alot during transition.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 04, 2007 03:44PM

Islangirl, your non-raw foods you eat are so much like the ones I ate, especially the corn chips and salsa. All those non-raw items you list fullfill some things we are used to having and fill that void, maybe chewy or crunchy and salty.

Eventually those things will fall away, but it could take you a few years. I thought I'd never get rid of one of the worse offending foods you could eat..those top ramen noodles! But I haven't had those in about 3 & 1/2 years. I found raw foods when I was 50 and I'm 55 now.

If you are going to eat popcorn make it the old fashioned way on the stove top with coconut oil, or even better air pop it and I add on some moist grey celtic sea salt. Dump the microwave for your foods. (Do some research on the health of microwaves and you'll see why).

I've recently added braggs organic raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar on a daily basis. I mix 1 T with 1 C water and drink it 3 x daily. It's good as an appetite suppressant, colon cleanse, lessoning pain espeically muscle aches and pains and does much more. You can read more at bragg.com if you want.

If you went 100% raw, you would lose the weight quicker I'm sure, as there are many people that can attest to that fact. It's not an easy thing for some many of us to just jump right into 100% raw.

Love,
Prism

Date: July 04, 2007 04:07PM

I only eat maybe 1/2 cup of nuts a day and usually 1-2 avacadoes...sometimes in guacamole. I think I forgot to mention occasional cheese....I've never been much for meat anyway, except I do love sushi.

I just turned 47 and going raw was my birthday gift to myself. I also have some health concerns that prompted the decision. I'm going to try the ACV to see if it helps with ahces and pain. It's funny, because I wake up everyday with great resolve to be 100% raw and then seem to falter in the afternoons and evenings, only to go to bed wishing I had not eaten what I did and again, resolving to do better the next day. It's crazy that food has become such a BIG DEAL! I really want to get away from constantly thinking about food... just eat to live and be healthy.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 04, 2007 04:15PM

Try the apple cider vinegar (make sure it has what's called "The Mother" in it, not the usual supermarket type) and take that anytime before a meal up to 20 minutes before.

Let us know how it works for you. I'd give it 3 weeks with taking it consistantly.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: happyvegan ()
Date: July 07, 2007 02:53AM

I did weight watchers for about 4 months and lost 25 lbs, then went mostly raw and didn't lose for about 3 weeks. I was kind of panicking, thinking that I'd made myself plateau. Then all of a sudden *BAM* I lost another 20 lbs in a 5 week period. In the last month, though, I've only lost 5 lbs. During the last few months I've been 100% for only about 3-4 weeks, the rest of the time it was around 85-90%. I didn't lose faster when 100%, and even eating high fat raw foods I still lost. The only thing that makes me not lose is added sweetener (agave, honey, whatever) and grains (like the raw oats I use in granola). Things that speed up my weight loss is lots of greens, melon, nuts, dates, avocadoes.

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: July 07, 2007 04:24AM

Things I have come to notice about my weight loss:

At first I was losing weight extremely fast: 10 or more pounds a week(I think that's fast).

I reach these plateaus and become frustrated only to have a rough day of detox, mainly diarrhea, and I would lose about 5 pounds in 2 days during the detox.

After this, I continue to lose weight steadily until I reach detox, again.

Those times between detoxing have become longer and I'm adjusting my diet to see what might help to speed things up.
I decided to up my greens considerably and now I find it hard to reach 1000 calories, unless I eat avocadoes or nuts, but that desire has lessened.

I detoxed hard on the 4th and it followed consumption of raw, organic sunflower seeds. (note to self)

I have been 100% raw for about 6 months and have lost more than 90 lbs. I do my fair share of working out. I find if I don't work out that I get a build up of what I think is excess energy and I become easily irritated/uncomfortable. Working out solves that.

I am amazed at how much the added greens has helped me control my appetite. But, I'm amazed by this whole raw foods experience. Prior to my starting this lifestyle, I had very little knowledge of nutrition and its effects on the body. Now I can't get enough information about it.

I was so ignorant to the relationship between my attitude and what I ate. I didn't realize how bad I actually must have felt back then, until now.
I have a completely new outlook on life.

david

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 07, 2007 07:38PM

Hi,
I think my new free E-book "The Seven Secrets of a Good Diet" might help you. This question is one of my main topics.
Have a nice day, Annet
www.thebestnaturaldiet.com

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: July 07, 2007 07:51PM

thanks for providing a such great resource, annet.

Date: July 07, 2007 09:19PM

Happyvegan,
Thank you for your post. In the one month I've done raw and stopped weight watchers,I gained 4 lbs. Talk about feeling panic. I worked so hard to lose those 40lbs. I didn't want to put any of it back on...but I also really felt impressed that the raw diet was the way to go. I am trying to do 80-10-10 and see if that helps reduce my weight. Once it has stabilized, I know I can maintain my weight with a more varied raw food diet. Hearing your experience was encouraging. Thank you!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 07, 2007 09:24PM

To lose weight, you need to increase your health. This is achieved by eating a diet that is easy to digest and has very little toxic residue, as well as practicing lifestyle habits like getting enough sleep and rest, reducing stress, getting exercise, fresh air, sunshine, etc.

For the diet, use a nutritional calculator like fitday, nutritiondata, nutridiary, or Cron-o-Meter to see the contents of what you are eating. Reducing the fat content of you daily diet will help with losing weight. If you can, get the fat percentage to 20% of less initially.

The website Raw Food Explained has plenty of articles on what is necessary for healthful living.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: July 08, 2007 01:23PM

How would anyone know this? It's up to you to find out, I didn't really lose any real weight until I became a fruitarian but I doubt that would work for everyone.

Date: July 08, 2007 01:38PM

I have had 4 days of being 100% and using 80-10-10 as a guideline to keep my fat intake down (I'm still going a little over). But in 4 days, my weight is down 1.8. Prior to going raw, I was on weight watchers and was losing on average 1.6 per week so I am happy with these results, since my goal is twofold...weight loss and healthy living.

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: July 09, 2007 02:47PM

I agree with Suvine, fruitarian is the way to go. <3!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables