Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Physical Symptoms
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 07, 2007 06:45PM

Hi! I'm new here.
Well I just started my transition to a raw diet (I've been vegan for the last 6 months, and vegetarian for several years before this), and I was wondering about what is "normal" as for physical symptoms that show up when you start a raw diet.
Ive been eating 100% raw for the last week and I've noticed 2 things:

1. I have noticeable dark circles under my eyes
and
2. My period hasn't stopped yet and it's day 6!
What's weird is, that it stopped at the beginning of day 3 but then started again the next day. Before I started the raw diet, I only had my period for 3 or 4 days.

I've also lost about 4 lbs! But that's good of course.

Ok, so, I guess I'm asking, is all of this normal physical symptoms of starting a raw diet? And will my weight loss continue as long as I stay on the raw lifestyle?

Thankyou!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Physical Symptoms
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 07, 2007 09:36PM

When I first went raw, I had major dark rings under my eyes. They eventually went away, but not before I had a large detox where I experienced out all the fatigue in my body from my previous lifestyle.

The longer period might have to do with your body having more energy because of the raw foods, and its using this extra energy to cleanse your body a bit more during your cycle.

So yes, this is nothing to worry about. To get rid of the dark rings under the eyes, you need to get more rest and sleep. Do you use an alarm clock? If so, you might not be getting enough sleep. Also, various stimulant in the diet, including digestive stimulants like spices and condiments will hamper your body's ability to get the sleep it needs.

As for weight loss, assuming you are not eating a high fat raw diet (by the way, most newbies are eating upwards of 60% fat in the diet as a percentage of calories), your weight loss ought to continue until you reach your ideal weight.

By the way, are you eating salt or things that contain salt. This will cause you to hold onto excess water weight.

Re: Physical Symptoms
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 08, 2007 12:28AM

Thankyou so much for your help!
All that makes sense too.
Well, for the most part, I have been avoiding too much fat...on my first day, the only fat source I had was a whole avocado, and I had a major stomachache after that. Today also I made raw, no bean hummus that had olive oil and sesame seeds in it. I had about a 1/5 of it and it gave me a really bad stomachache again. But for the rest of the week, the only fat I've had on a given day is 3-5 almonds, or a tablespoon of olive oil on my salad, or 1-2 tbsp of flax seed in my morning smoothie.

As for salt, I have been having about 1/4 tsp. of sea salt in my dinner (soup or salad).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables