Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Grrr... I need help adding more calories smiling smiley
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 07, 2007 11:25PM

Hey!

I'm very, very new to raw foodism. I've always eaten healthy, but was recently inspired by my friend to give raw food a try. Right now I'm a 6'1 male, 175lb and 20 years old. I workout heavy 6 days a week, in addition to cardio and sports. My maintaince is about 2800-3000 calories per day.

My goals are; overall health, spiritual growth, emotional/mental clarity, and energy, while maintaining my current weight (give or take 5 lbs).

So anyway, I hit the organic section today and purchased some stuff. Unfortanately, I calculated my new caloric intake at only 1400, which is wayyyy too low. I need to double that, or at least close too.

So far I have:

-Bananas
-Apples
-Peaches
-Lettuce
-Tomatos
-Olive oil
-Raw cashews
-Raw almonds
-Flax

I need some simple meal ideas. They don't have to taste good, they just need to be calorie dense smiling smiley.

As simple as possible would be best. I'll continue to sort through the internet info, but it would help me so much if someone could get me started. I can't wait to begin (I'll perfect it as I go along...)

Thanks!

-Adam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grrr... I need help adding more calories smiling smiley
Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: July 08, 2007 12:03AM

I have the opposite problem...too many calories. If you like avocadoes, they're a great source of health and natural fat. add more nuts and seeds to increase the natural fat and calories in your diet. Wish we could swap smiling smiley

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 08, 2007 12:36AM

Raw almond butter and other nut butters for veggies, dips, and raw salad dressings, smoothies and whatever else you can think of.

There is a raw hemp protein mix, but I can never remember what the name is.

A couple large salads a day with avo and nuts, seeds, etc.

Large fruit smoothies, or add some tender greens into them too.

Add some real coconut, or coconut oil to your smoothies, or snacks.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 08, 2007 12:44AM

ok i reanacted the above in fitday if you ate the above all in one day so im not sure what your mix is as i had to guess and i got close to you .. 1400 calories

which also equals 67% fat, 23% carb, 10% protein .. seems like a lotta fat but hey youre pretty active right ..but still ALOT of fat

below doesnt seem like a whole lotta food no matter how you mix it or match it ..for a big active guy like you lol smiling smiley i cant help but wonder if youre feeling hungry most of the time hehe

-Bananas - 1 medium
-Apples - 1 medium
-Peaches -1 medium
-Lettuce -1 Cup
-Tomatos - 1 medium
-Olive oil - 2 tablespoons (assuming this is a dressing for the lettuce an tomato)
-Raw cashews - 1/2 cup
-Raw almonds - 1/2 cup
-Flax - 1/4 cup

maybe try this

-Bananas - 2 medium
-Apples - 2 medium
-Peaches -2 medium
-Lettuce -2 Cup
-Tomatos - 2 medium
-Olive oil - 2 tablespoons (assuming this is a dressing for the lettuce an tomato)
-Raw cashews - 1/4 cup
-Raw almonds - 1/4 cup
-Flax - 1/4 cup
-mangoes - 2 medium
-oranges -2 medium
-dates - 1 cup
-grapefruit - 2 medium
-peas -1 cup
-brocoli - 1cup
-spinach - 2 cup
-asparagus - 1cup
-corn- 2 large ears
-watermelon - 4 cups

lol looks like alot of food ..well its 3000 calories .. so it is !! 65% carb, 25% fat and 10% protein alot better balanced in my opinion, without adding any additional fat from fruit,veggies,nuts,seeds and oils smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2007 12:59AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 08, 2007 01:25AM

or you could mono eat 28 medium size bananas for 3040 caloires
91% carb, 5% fat, 4% protein

im not sure if that many bananas is a good thing lol tongue sticking out smiley

i would definitely eat the higher energy carb fruits before working out and save the protein stuff for repairing your muscles after you work out smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2007 01:38AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 08, 2007 05:08AM

You have no idea how helpful this is! Looks like it's going to be an expensive week though, haha.

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: July 08, 2007 01:51PM

check out any local farmer's markets...you can usually get double the produce for the price of what you would pay in the store

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: July 08, 2007 08:46PM

Definitely add in avocado, coconut, raw nuts/butters, seeds, "cold-pressed" oils, bananas, mangos, dehydrated fruits & vegetables, and sprouted grains & legumes. You're transitioning so I don't feel guilty about advising you to eat things I don't eat, but then again I'm sort of a fruitarian, so I don't eat a lot of the stuff that is considered raw.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: July 08, 2007 08:57PM

K.I.S.S.

somewhere in between that menu and the 28 bananas sounds right for now.

you will lose regardless, best to keep things easy on the stomach as possible. postpone your athletic goals. and eat enough healthy things to stay satisfied without abusing unhealthful things or ammounts of things like fats/nuts/oils etc...

don't stress too much about organic if it becomes a stress financialy or otherwise. you CAN be mindful of the more contaminated foods and take steps to avoid pesticides. But pretty much everything turns to crap as you are cleaning out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables