Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

ashtanga yoga
Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: July 08, 2007 01:53AM

i heard from testimonials that this is a very healing form of yoga...i wanted 2 kno if anyone has done it... and isnt it a form of hatha yoga...wat does this mean...AND can anyone recommend any really good books and dvds for doing ashtanga yoga..and wat you all personally feel is the best type of yoga...OK thanksayou :]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ashtanga yoga
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 08, 2007 02:03AM

i do tai chi personally .. i find it keeps me well stretched, my joints working well .. and the internal massage it does while performing it seems to keep my indigestion at bay ..maybe helping with digestion?

also i have to concentrate on what im doing so i shut out alot of my brain noise winking smiley which is a welcome thing tongue sticking out smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: venusian ()
Date: July 08, 2007 02:15AM

I practiced ashtanga with david swenson's dvd for a while and it's great...especially if you want to burn! A very high energy yoga IMO. I generally blend kundalini and kriya yoga with a gentle hatha sequence myself...at least for now...seems like my practice is always shifting : )

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 08, 2007 03:40PM

venusian

tell me more about kriya yoga
i read about it
sounded mysterious
can u describe your experience
if u don't mind?

Posted by: venusian ()
Date: July 08, 2007 06:56PM

la veronique

kriya yoga can be mysterious and if you go for initiation, one is not allowed to share much of what is taught there.
For my practice, hatha yoga helps me focus with moving the breath into areas of my body with postures (what most people think of as yoga practice). The kriya yoga portion is where I move energy through my body and focus on things like circular breathing, yoni mudra and kechari mudra....this helps me open all the channels further for meditation or for a kundalini kriya if I so choose. Sounds complicated, but it's become very simple and efficient since I practice daily at least.

To answer your question, kriya yoga has helped me a lot- mostly with subtle energy and clearing the central channel...allowing for heart opening and unending compassion/bliss.
peace
venusian

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: July 08, 2007 09:48PM

Ashtanga is a very physical form of yoga. It can be very demanding, but you can also mold it for your own. I also would suggest david swenson's DVD and book. He also has a short forms DVD which is a 13, 30 and 45 minute ashtanga based routine. Most power yoga is based on Ashtanga or a variation to a degree.

There are many different ways to use yoga. I'd suggest to find out what you want out of it. The physical part of yoga isn't what it really is about. That is just a piece of the puzzle.

Another alternative is try a Rodney Yee DVD. He's great at explaining things pretty clearly and has a wide variety to choose from.

And there is no best type of yoga - It's all good smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables