Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

2 much fat!!!
Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: July 08, 2007 02:03AM

i was eating up 2 or 3 avocados a day the past week simply bc we (we as in i bc im the only one who actually eats the veggies we buy) needed 2 eat them b4 they rotted, and ughh i got so sick... all bloated and sluggish, blegh :p i almost went off raw again!! stupid right... wen are you gunna learn olivia! but i feel better now :] 2 much fat makes u feel almost as gross as sad.. well for me it did..ive got some dark scary circles under my eyes now haha .. well i learned my lesson,just thought id share that cuzz yor my raw peepz and yor all i got 2 talk 2 about this stuff .. and im sure u can relate

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 much fat!!!
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 08, 2007 03:38AM

I have a 1 yr. old in my childcare who loves avocado. I cut into one at the start of the week, and was still cutting off pieces for him on Friday. The avo kept very well in my fridge for that long.

Avo is good, and I especially like it mixed with salsa. But I'm not used to eating it with cut up veggies like celery, but I do love it on salads. Unfortunatly I don't make salad very often. If I have guacamole around I want it with tortilla chips..and so I hardly buy avocado for that reason.

I'm hoping my son will start to make our daily salads and then I can eat avocado again. With hopping on the new 80/10/10 bandwagon though, avo will be kept to a minimum on the salad.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 08, 2007 04:04AM

avo lasts a bit longer if when you cut it you rub it with a bit of lemon smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 08, 2007 04:39AM

^ I agree with Jodi. Lime works very well also.

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: July 08, 2007 08:51AM

great tip. thanks. i have that problem with avos as well. i only want to eat half of it but i have to eat the entire thing because i know it goes bad.

so, do you just cut it open and squeeze lemon or lime juice on it? sorry to ask a stupid question. how does that work?

thanks

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: July 08, 2007 01:47PM

The acid in the lemon/lime keeps the color from turning and preserves the freshness. When you cut it in half, leave the seed in the avacado and place it in a baggie or saran wrap in the frig.

When I buy them, I buy 2 ripe, 2 not ripe. I leave the unripe ones in a brown paper bad in a dark place (pantry or cupboard, etc.). They will ripen nicely.

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: July 08, 2007 08:04PM

I never feel sluggish from avocados, I think you'd have to eat a lot of them to feel that effect, or it could be your metabolism. I've read a lot of literature about people feeling the same way as you do, although they ate more like 5 or 6 a day. Some people can't utilize fats as well as others because their bodies take longer to process them. Just exercise if you find yourself in that situation, or refrigerate them as others have said, or don't buy that many at one time. Did you really have 14 (I'm just estimating as you said you had 2 a day/week) avocados? You should try shopping more frequently but buying less food. It keeps better that way.

Posted by: Seabucktho ()
Date: July 08, 2007 08:49PM

Here's what I do to keep avos fresh, it works like a charm:

1. Keep the pit in the unused half.
2. Put the skin of the used half back on (so it looks kind of like a whole avo).
3. Put the whole thing in a baggie or cling wrap in the fridge.
4. Works like a charm, even without the lime/lemon juice.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: July 08, 2007 09:01PM

From what I gather in previous posts, you might not have as much freedom in shopping more regularly. but if you are shopping twice a week, you can always pick up just enough ripe avos for that day. I wouldn't try limited it to one, as this might be too constrictive and you might find yourself in the belly of the beast again with cooked foods. but maybe buy 2-3 and see if you can limit to 2 that day or 1.5 for 2 days. Just some ideas

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: July 09, 2007 03:09AM

My family and I eat lots of avo's. I can easily eat two or even three a day occasionally and don't notice any kind of problem. We often buy 20 green ones at the start of a week, and when they all start ripening (like maybe a few days off being properly ripe) we chuck half of them in the fridge which slows the ripening process. As we use the ripe ones we just pull a couple out of the fridge to replace them, which come ready at by the time we get down to them. Tricky business winking smiley

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 09, 2007 03:51AM

1/2 to 1 avocado a day is enough for me, but that's because I also eat organic nuts and/or seeds almost every day. Organic nuts and seeds have a lot of nutrition that avocados don't have, and you don't have to worry quite so much about them going bad.

For me it's usually some avocado in the morning, and some nuts or seeds later on. Sesame seeds are especially packed with nutrition, and I believe that's why a small amount is so good for satisfying an appetite.

I couldn't eat avocado plus nuts or seeds everyday without feeling kind of yucky and gaining weight if I didn't EXERCISE, like rawfrancois says. Our bodies are made to exercise, and not exercising will eventually jeopardize our health, no matter what we eat. In my experience, if I earn my nutrition through exercise, a reasonable amount of organic whole raw oil-containing foods helps me be more healthy, HAPPY, and fit. And it keeps me away from craving cooked food, because I'm already nourished on raw. smiling smiley

If you don't believe it, then maybe try life without it for awhile, but if that doesn't work for you, and you feel lifeless and hungry for cooked food, then try a little ORGANIC raw vegan oil-containing foods each day (and something BESIDES just avocado) and EXERCISE, and see if that feels better. But after going without much fat for a while, don't be surprised if you overeat it right at first. That may just be because you're hungry (!) for it, and after a day or two, that will probably mellow out with just a little self control.

I don't agree with folks who say eating cooked vegan food without fat is better than eating (organic) raw whole foods containing their natural oils. No thanks!

Oh, and I personally don't believe olives that are canned, jarred, dried, or otherwise processed are good for you, even though they might be labeled "raw organic". Fresh olives contain a bitter substance that makes them unpleasant to eat.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2007 04:05AM by suncloud.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables