Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Best Raw Cities? Fruit Elitism?
Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: July 08, 2007 09:38PM

First off, I was looking to buy a durian online because I really don't want to drive all the way to New York City to spend the day trying new fruits, I'd rather just purchase one. I found a site called Panoramic growers and they (rather coldly) state many times that they have no fruit available for sale to the United States, and all of their mangosteen goes to Melissa's and some place in New York. So, that's cool, but I still can't find a durian and am wondering if I have to wait until the next time I go to New York to try one.

And also, I was curious, what are the best cities to live in, to grow a garden, to purchase cheap produce, to meet a large community of raw foodists? I'm probably going to choose where I go to school based on how compatible it is to my lifestyle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Raw Cities? Fruit Elitism?
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 08, 2007 09:48PM

I'm not sure if you can actually get a really good durian, unless you go where they grow.

Hm, good motto: Go where they grow! smiling smiley

Where you go to college probably should depend a lot on what you want to study. You might try University of Hawaii, at Hilo, Hawaii and see what they have to offer and how well accredited they are for what you eventually want to do.

There's not a lot of durian or mangostein in Hilo (yet, although there's some, and eventually there will be a lot), but there are a lot of other tropical fruits.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: July 08, 2007 10:15PM

Durian in NYC is just another addiction smiling smiley

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: July 09, 2007 02:43PM

Yeah, I'm afraid that if I try durian and like it then I won't be able to get it for a long time. Oh, well.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: July 12, 2007 04:31AM

"It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all".... (forgot who said this or I'd give them credit)

It's worth it!! I'm totally obsessed with durian and I only get it every so often cuz I'm 4 hours drive from the nearest source. But it is such a euphoric blissful fruit high, it's worth getting the addiction even if you can only get your fix every so often. The ultimate would be to go on a tropical vacation to a place that grows durian, during the peak season. One day.... smiling smiley

Love,
Uma

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: August 25, 2007 08:03PM

man you guys suck I am so jealous

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 25, 2007 08:39PM

One of the best communities for organic farmers is found in Sebastopol California, one hour north by car from San Francisco. They don't allow people there to use pesticides and herbicides on their lawns because they don't want the poisons getting into the organic farms that are there. They have tons of local produce available during the summer and fall.

Our own admin (John, the owner of rawfoodsupport) lives in that area, and it seems like the raw community there is pretty active. That area is also the home of Living Nutrition Magazine.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: August 26, 2007 02:21AM

Frukti is so awesome, if anyone messes with her I am going to beat them up smiling smiley

Posted by: vegcase ()
Date: August 27, 2007 01:01AM

I agree that northern Cali is awesome for organic farming!

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: August 28, 2007 04:38PM

hey, um, new to NYC, and wondering WHERE I can find durian?
I haven't ever tried it.

point me toward the addiction.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: August 28, 2007 05:09PM

I thought you could get ANYTHING in NYC

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: August 29, 2007 03:05AM

try chinatown... try whole foods... try just calling places... I found them all over the place... aquadecoco... I found vancouver a pretty cool place to get stuff too when I lived there

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables