Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Weight loss
Posted by: plastic ()
Date: July 11, 2007 03:47AM

Hi Everyone!
I've just started back doing Raw Foods, and this is the end of day six.
I still haven't lost any weight, I think I might be gaining it. I'm always bloated and I really don't see any differences yet.
I need to lose about 23 lbs alltogether.
I've been eaten fruit mainly, hardly any vegetables. Could that be why I'm not losing?
Any suggestions you have for me to speed up my weight loss are welcome.
Thank you

Also, I would like to do a real thorough colon cleanse. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Weight loss
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 11, 2007 11:46AM

I think it is a good idea to have at least one green smoothie or salad a day.

Also, What kind of fruits are you eating? Dried fruits, dates, and bananas are not so good for losing weight. I mean, 1 banana a day is fine but not loads of them (you know what I mean). Berries and apples are much better and don't make you bloated because they're not very "heavy" foods.

Make sure your drinking lots and lots of water too. That really helps me when I feel bloated.

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: July 11, 2007 12:49PM

I've been raw for 6 weeks now. The first two weeks I lost weight. I was eating mostly fruits and vegetables, because that was all I had on hand. The the next two weeks I started eating more raw gourmet-type foods, nut butters and sprouted grains....and I gained 4 lbs. On July 5, I decided to try 80-10-10 (there is a thread here about it) to monitor my carbs, fat, protein and calories. Since doing that I lost 4.6 lbs in 6 days. Yesterday I was craving bananas and had 6 of them. I feel good today, but my weight went up .2 which may not seem like much, but when you need to lose, you need to monitor very closely how your weight responds to foods. On days that I have consistently lost weight I have generally eaten a morning green smoothie (kale, spinach and banana & nectarine) and then mostly fruit the rest of the day with perhaps one salad in the evening. If your interested, check out the 80-10-10 thread for some support on weight loss. Good luck.

Posted by: plastic ()
Date: July 11, 2007 10:06PM

How does this weight-loss plan work? 80-10-10?
Can you give me more details on what I need to eat and how much of it?
Thanks

Date: July 11, 2007 10:30PM

There is a book called the 80-10-10 diet. I just ordered it, but it hasn't arrived yet. It has to be ordered from the author's website [www.foodnsport.com]
or from Amazon, but currently Amazon is taking 4-6 weeks to deliver. So...the info I have is limited to what I have read on the web. Using a food-calorie / nutritional calculator like fitday.com [www.fitday.com]
you input the foods you eat to find out their percentages of fat, carbs, and protein. The diet recommends 80% carbs/ 10% fat / 10% protein. This is hard to do at first, and for my first week, I have been more like 70/20/10 thereabouts. However, I have still lost weight, which is good.

THe majority of foods eaten are fruits with some leafy greens. I have a fruit smoothie in the am, fruit for snacks and lunch and a salad for dinner....just to give you an idea.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 11, 2007 10:36PM

The idea is to get most of your calories in with sweet fruits staring with breakfast. Veggies/salas with a bit of fat like tahini dresshing or small amt of avocado for dinner. Fat should be eaten before evening, so I guess by 5 or 6 pm?

If you are hungry during the day, eat more calorie dense foods, like bananas, & fruit smoothies.

You would be very limited in eating things like nuts, seeds, nut butters, avocado, and coconut. 10% fat is a very small amount of fat. It surprised me how little it is, and how much fat you can get on the SAD!

Love,
Prism

Date: July 11, 2007 10:39PM

I didn't know fat needed to be eated before dinner (although I usually do) so thanks for posting that. I'm still waiting on my book.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 12, 2007 01:17AM

I recently watched 10 of 14 Hipocates Videos that I got for free.

To loose weight:

Eliminate all dried fruits.
Use all other fruits to the bare minimum.
Fat and protien should be 2 to 5% depending on activity levels
Eat mostly veggies and sprouts especially greens every day.
Juice every day - with juice that is mostly greens and sprouts.
Drink only juice one day of the week.

Elnatural

Posted by: rawfrancois ()
Date: July 12, 2007 01:59AM

I eat lots of fruits & never have a problem losing weight.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 13, 2007 05:42PM

I read some tips from Fredrick Patenaude (I hope I spelled that correctly) that the time to consume fat is after 4 pm, but since you aren't to eat anything 3 hours before bed, that would have to be between 4pm and 7 pm for me.

rawfrancois, do you have trouble maintaing your ideal weight?

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: July 13, 2007 06:02PM

I also eat a diet high in fruit and don't have a problem maintaining my weight...
Of course, it is really hard for me to eat more than 2000 calories of fruits, as I have a 5 banana a day limit before I get a headache from the sugar...

Otherwise, if I were to eat more berries, grapes, oranges, etc., I would never leave the bathroom!! I already pee 10 times a day with all the fruit, hehe

My point is- if you aren't eating many nuts or oils and have high fruit, you should lose weight anyway. How can you get enough calories eating no fruits, fats and only vegetables? I find that a bit absurd to recommend people eat 95% calories from greens and sprouts...

xxpeisi

~I've tasted of the fruit,
it's opened up my eyes...~
-Infected Mushroom

Date: July 13, 2007 07:50PM

Peisi...its good to see a picture of you and put a face with the name. You're much younger than I thought...and beautiful.It must be the grapes!

Posted by: annex ()
Date: July 13, 2007 07:58PM

Some things that have helped me:

Don't try to loose weight. I know this sounds contradictory, but if you restricting your diet too much at some point your body will revolt.

Manage your calories. Use nutritiondata.com, fitday.com or whatever to see what your calorie intake is. Don't assume because you are eating lots of fruit and minimal fats that you are not getting calories. One day I ate lots and lots of dates when I started the 801010 diet and I realized I ate over 3000 calories for the day - way too much for someone like me.

And exercise - cliched but true. Eating is just half of it. But you can start small... ride a bike for 10 minutes. Notice when your body is energized (easier on raw) and do something - anything. I used to hate exercising but now if I don't do it I miss it.

Remember losing weight is a long term goal.

Date: July 13, 2007 08:05PM

Fitday.com is a life saver...and it takes all the guess work out of eating, allowing you to make choices. I can't have everything I want everyday, so I pick and choose. I read in the 80-10-10 book that an estimate of the calories you need per day (to maintain) is your weight X 10 (124 lbs x 10 = 1240 calories per day). Without any exercise at all, you would need to reduce your caloric intake in order to lose weight. If you exercise, you've got a little breathing room. Fitday will also calculate the calories you have burned, so that helps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables