Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Raising Raw Kids
Posted by: perbetty ()
Date: July 26, 2007 09:45PM

Okay, today we had The Talk. I told him my goal is to get him 50% raw by the end of the summer. I said it wouldn't be hard, that already today he's done it by eating 2 bananas with his cereal, and raw crackers with guacomole, cheese and cooked chili for lunch. "What do you think?" I asked. "Can you commit to 50%?"

"Depends."

"On what?"

"If I notice."

Now that IS progress!

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 28, 2007 02:02PM

In case anyone's still following this...

Yesterday my son agreed to throw out the Tropicana Florida orange juice. He agreed it was gross and wanted fresh-squeezed again.

Also yesterday, he was 50% raw. When he wanted Chai tea, I let it cool and added pine nut milk instead of soy. He loved it. At dinner, he had rolled "sushi" with grated jicima instead of rice, and filled with avocado, cucumber and black sesame seeds. The dipping sauce was Namu Shoya, and agave to make up for the missing sweetness of the seasoned rice. I made him three cut rolls, and he ate them all.

I think we can do this! smiling smiley

Betty

Posted by: Frannie ()
Date: July 28, 2007 03:47PM

Wow Betty, tell your son I am cheering him on.

Francis

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 28, 2007 04:15PM

that`s awesome betty! absolutely no competition between fresh juice and processed crap.
patty

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: July 30, 2007 03:42PM

Do you vaccinate your kids? I live in a big dirty city, and would worry either way!

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: July 30, 2007 07:31PM

I have been so busy lately but I have been keeping up with reading this thread.

Congrats on the momentum of reaching your goal Betty. It is truly fantastic. I find one of the things that is key to my 11 year olds transition is education. I always show her information I find and point out how unhealthy many people are. You are doing so well. Keep up the good work!!!

I know this is an old question but I would like to respond. We spend nearly twice as much on our family of five's raw food than we did on our previous unhealthy vegetarian food. I homeschool so we are a one income family. I buy everything; clothes, furniture, even my kitchen cabinet second hand. We prefer to spend our money on more important things. We consider food to be the most important.

I don't vaccinate. You can search for a recent thread on vaccination in the other health topics forum.

Posted by: Frannie ()
Date: July 30, 2007 08:02PM

I try to buy secondhand as much as I can as well. I think it's kinder to the environment as well as good for your bank balance. Also, since becoming more sensitive on a raw diet, I can't stand shopping malls and shopping centers anymore. Somehow the energy is all wrong.

My kids were already vaccinated when I finally started researching things like that. I didn't know there was a downside to it and just did what everyone else was doing but if I had to make that choice again, I would most definitely not have them vaccinated now and my youngest didn't have any vaccinations after we went raw.

Francis

Date: August 01, 2007 12:51AM

Thanks for all the kudos and continued advice.

Today was great--I introduced him to cashew cream and he LIKED it! He's dipping his strawberries into it. This one was a biggie because I'm taking him off of casein (a mild protein), his food drug of choice. (A note to anyone trying cashew cream with an extremely picky eater: add a little cinnamon and a few grains of sea salt in addition to sweetener and vanilla to hide the flavor of the cashews. Recipe at [www.astray.com])

I wouldn't have done the vac thing, at least the same way, had I known. My son has an autism spectrum disorder (PDD), and I imagine vaccines at least exacerbated this. Of course, after learning about the harm Thimerisol can do, refusing the flu shot was quite an ordeal. The nurse treated me as though she thought I was pondering the joy of watching my child die of the flu. And then there were the relatives.

Small price for my peace of mind, though.

Betty

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables