Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

For Mocha and others..help with my sons health agenda
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 22, 2007 12:29AM

My son who is 23 soon to be 24 is living with me for now. He sleeps during the day, plays on the computer and watches tv all night. He is smoking, drinks too much imo, and doesn't eat much, and what he does eat isn't that healthy again imo.

On Monday we are going to dictate what the other can do about health. So, he'll get to dictate my eating and exercise routine..(he knows I try to stay raw, but fail at high raw or 100% raw) and I'll get to dictate his diet and exercise agenda.

So, for a guy I'm kinda lost so I thought Mocha's diet would be helpful. My son is 5'10" and weighs anywhere between 130 and 140 lbs. but not much muscle, he looks like a runner or cycling kind of guy. He doesn't like to do laborous things, but I want him to get more active.

1. Should I cut off the smoking all of a sudden or ease him off over some weeks?

2. I think he could join me at the gym, but how often should we go and I'm pretty sure we'd both be doing different work-outs. His should be strength training I'm thinking?

3. He needs to eat consistanly thru-out the day, totally off from his usual eating habits. That's where I need help with a menu that would give him food every 3 hours I'm thinking.

4. He's a guy, so once I get him more active, you think he needs to add hemp protein in his smoothies? Anything else he needs as a superfood?

5. What do I do about getting him turned around in sleeping and awake. Right now he goes to bed around 8am and gets up around 6 pm. I want him up at least by noon, and going to sleep at least by 1 am. Then depending on the job he gets will dictate the time he then sleeps and is awake.

I think we are going to video tape each other to document our progess or lack of itsmiling smiley

This will be an all raw diet for him, but I might add in some little cooked food at the start, like one meal or something.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Love,
Prism

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: For Mocha and others..help with my sons health agenda
Posted by: anaken ()
Date: July 22, 2007 01:02AM

why would your son be any different then other folks

just try to introduce new concepts/habits to his existing routine, ain't gonna change overnight. suggesting this type of change is setting him up for failure.

the idea of sitting around deciding whether someones routine should be strength training or not seems crazy to me. is HE interested in strength training? can he type and use the internet?

also I don't understand if you are deciding he needs to eat every 3 hours or if he desires to eat every 3 hours. no one NEEDS to eat that often (not for any bodybuilding type purposes anyway, which would need to take a major backseat to cleansing, so its sorta moot)

the 8-6 thing sounds like a newly-classic phenomenon among young directionless video game junkies. I would deffinetly work on that with him, and other lifestyle habits before making any extreme dietary change.

my suggestion to start is

If someone has a real REASON to get up in the morning they can reverse their schedule (over a short period of time) to waking up...at least in the AM. quite comfortably. at that point exercise and a cleansing diet should create the need for sleep by at least 1 or 2 am

Date: July 22, 2007 02:18AM

He just graduated in May from St. Johns College, and he can definately change his hours awake if he wants to. This is just a challenge to each other, to just have some fun for August, get a little more motivated. He's ready for a change, since he talks about it a lot.

I'm not going to be strict..I'm just going to set some guideposts for him. You certainly can't make someone eat if they don't feel like it, but I'd like to see him more active and therefore need more calories for fueling his body. He wants that too.

He's thinking of joining the Peace Corps around September, near his birthday and he'd like to do some pre-conditioning before he gets sent anywhere they want him to do strenous work.

Since he's willing to start the challange, he knows that I'm probably going to ask him to quit smoking..so I'm wondering how slow it should go.

I and he can do whatever research we want on the IT, thought I'd start here.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 22, 2007 04:04AM

prism,
he`s a smart young man in thinking that if he`s going in the peace corp strength training and discipline will be very good for him before he actually goes in. maybe the change in diet and exercise will empower/motivate him to quit smoking. depending on how long he`s been an addict his withdrawals will be hard. i smoked for 25 years and in that time i quit many times. what made me successful the last time i don`t know, maybe it was all the practice! LOL. he won`t quit til he`s ready. does he want to stop? i think going to the gym together is awesome and he`s awesome if he`ll go with you! alot of young men think thy`re too macho to do stuff with mom ya know? also too much change at once might throw him off. you know him the best so only you and he can decide how slow to go. he is an adult though and ultimately he will live his life the way he wants. i would set down my ground rules that i felt comfortable with. a big one for me would be no smoking in the house/apartment and up at a reasonable time in the morn. just graduating he must`ve had a major right? getting up in the morning will get him to the gym and then looking for work or checking out the peace corp. don`t let him turn into a couch potatoe. i can see a bit of time off since he just finished school, but i wouldn`t let that go on too long smiling smiley it`s too easy to fall into a lazy trap. and that is said with the best of intentions and love. good luck and keep us posted smiling smiley
patty

Posted by: Mocha ()
Date: July 22, 2007 01:08PM

Prism
I¡¦m honored that you look upon my lifestyle as idea for your son. I'm 70.5 inches and 124Lbs, i used to be 116, but I gained 8Lbs in muscle and no fat, I checked with a body caliper. The key to building a strong and healthy body is exercise. Along with eating the proper raw foods and a good spiritual outlook, exercising, with vigorous effort, is nessacary. For your son to achieve the amount of exercise he needs, is really quite simple. Just make a workout out of something he loves. For me its surfing and Jujitsu(1hr a day 5 days a week if not more) and then I weight lift on my off days, its that simple smiling smiley
-Also, certain motivation methods can be used to further progress his training (effort) such as, a weight lifting partner or a girl friend that enjoys the same activities as him.
Now for part two, the eating "plan". For some it's easier to become a raw foodist by going cold turkey, and for other a gradual induction os needed, because the food is too pure for there system and they would not be able to handle a radical shift. To my knowledge it's easier and a more surefire way to become a raw foodist through the cold turkey method. The body may have a hard time at first to adjust to its new state of alkalinity, but after a week(give or take) he should no longer crave any processed and artificial food(along with cooked). I am the only raw foodist(100%) in my family and I did it all by myself, and what it comes down to is the individuals drive for personal health. By being able to alter your sons diet you will dramatically help him in ultimately making a choice of how he¡¦s health will be in the later years of his life. Even if for one week you can show your son the benefits of beening raw, it maybe enough to alter his health for a lifetime ƒº
I hope this information is useful and informative, and I wish you luck with your with your son.
By the way, a litle heads up, If he's trying to eat like me make sure you stock up on a good amount of bananas, mangos, and occasionaly dates for a meal if nessacary(for the calories needed, due to exercise), if you would like you could give me your email and i can send you what I'm going to eat for the next day, I always map it out the day ahead in the Cron - O - Meter.

> Myspace: [www.myspace.com]
> Blog: [chefdemocha.blogspot.com]

Date: July 22, 2007 04:00PM

Thank you for the tips. Thankfully he only smokes a few cigs a day, and he does smoke outside. I'm lucky that he doesn't smell like smoke because it really is such a foul odor to me. It's hard to believe that both my adult sons became addicted to nicotine, when I didn't smoke and tried to be a health nut a lot of their years growing up.

Not becoming a couch potato is exactly what I don't want him to be! I'm active all day with my childcare business, and housework, shopping, yardwork etc. For his age he really doesn't move much.

Mocha, thank you for that offer, you can email me at prismkitten@yahoo.com Maybe just for a week, I don't want to have you feel obligated in anyway. I've not heard of the Cron-O-Meter, what is that?

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Mocha ()
Date: July 22, 2007 05:18PM

Its no problem prism, I would love to help smiling smiley
the cron-o-meter is a program like fitday, but is saved onto the hard drive of your computer. You can download it here >>>
[spaz.ca]

> Myspace: [www.myspace.com]
> Blog: [chefdemocha.blogspot.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables