Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

question for any moms
Posted by: katlatgurl ()
Date: July 23, 2007 01:03PM

i am thinking of getting my family started on a raw food lifestyle, my question is how hard it it to start and i have a 16month old, is it safe to start her out on a raw food diet? how did u mothers out there get your children into eating raw foods. what do u sub for milk and things like that? thanks for any info and help you can give me
-katie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: question for any moms
Posted by: cricri ()
Date: July 23, 2007 02:49PM

Katie,

I have a 10mo old daughter and I couldn't nurse her past 4 months. I gave her formula and all the other crap recommended for babies. Still, nothing bottled. I cooked for her myself, but there was a lot of cooked stuff. Then I stopped giving her dairy (she has never had meat though, thank God!) and sticked with vegan. Now she refused the boiled carrots she so much enjoyed in the beginning. She basicly has fruits all day, tomatoes, avocado (sparsly because it is VERY expensive here, cucumbers... She loves them and she's doing fine. She hasn't lost any weight in the process and has not had any health problem.

Take it slowly with the little one but don't be afraid. Also, feed her more often little pieces of fruit so that her tummy feels full.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
cricri

Posted by: Frannie ()
Date: July 23, 2007 03:06PM

Hi Katie,

I bumped up the Raising Raw Kids thread up for you. Maybe some of the info on there will be helpful. I don't have any experience with transitioning very small children onto raw, my youngest was 5 when we started but from my own experience I would say that it's safe to put your 16 month old on a raw diet. You'll probably experience less problems because at that age they're not so addicted to cooked food yet. Start shoveling in those smoothies.

Good luck, Francis

Posted by: katlatgurl ()
Date: July 24, 2007 02:55PM

thank you both very much for you help... i am very excited about this new change to come... i guess the issue i was most worried about was weather to keep giving her whole cows milk (because thats what she has been on) or if its ok to give her a sub like nut milk. i just dont want her to miss out on any vitamins.
thank yoy for you help and wish me luck!!!!
-katie

Posted by: Frannie ()
Date: July 24, 2007 08:13PM

Hi Katie

Cows milk is for little cows. It has all the vitamins and minerals in the right proportion that a calf needs to grow into a big cow but in humans it creates a lot of mucus and it's not easily digested. In my opinion she will be much better off without the cows milk. And, again in my opinion, our natural food after breast milk is fruit so I would give her lots of that and fruit smoothies and go easy on the nut milk. Have a look on [www.thegardendiet.com] for lots of photos and info about a family with 5 raw children ranging from 0 to 11 years old. They also have ebooks about raising raw kids with recipies.

Wishing you lots and lots of luck, Francis

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables