Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw jarring?
Posted by: esisser ()
Date: July 23, 2007 03:03PM

I love tomatoes and other fruit. Is there any way to preserve them, if not for the whole winter, at least for a little while longer than their natural shelf life would allow for? I dont know much about jarring, but im pretty sure that its not very "raw." Any suggestions? Thanks :-) -Ethan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2007 03:09PM by esisser.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw jarring?
Posted by: pampam ()
Date: July 23, 2007 03:24PM

by saying jarring do you mean canning? If so when you can tomatoes, for example you would need to heat the jar so It would seal the lid. You need to heat it also in order to kill any bacteria in the jar. So you would kill the enjymes in the tomatoe. Have you thought of drying some of the tomatoes?

Re: raw jarring?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 23, 2007 03:31PM

-I DO know that part of the usual process of 'canning' (putting stuff in jars)...involves a long BOIL to essentially pastureize the material and kill any bacteria. Best to stick with fresh. Just my opinion.

-The best way to preserve (alternatively) would be to coat in strained lemon juice, seal carefully in vacuum-sealed container and keep at very cool refrigerator or storage area. This should maintain the viability of some durable produce for many weeks.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables