Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

lossing wheight?
Posted by: katlatgurl ()
Date: July 25, 2007 02:53AM

i was wondering.... my husband and i are very over wheight (50lbs over) when we convert over to the raw side... will we have a hard time feeling full? will we feel sick or cranky for a week while we go threw a "detox" and will the weight fall of fast and the energy arive quickly?? can anyone share what they went threw when they first went raw
thanks
katie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lossing wheight?
Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: July 25, 2007 03:23AM

for me, i felt weaker and more tired. hunger wasn't much of an issue though.
i also had a headache for a day or so.

after you've been raw a while you'll look back and see it was worth it.

good luck and enjoy
dc

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: July 25, 2007 03:37AM

for me I was a bit tired and sometimes weak. I ate anything that was raw. I did not restrain myself the first week or two. I felt satasfied with the food I ate. I have lost 40 pounds in five weeks. I want to be raw for the rest of my life. I love how I feel.

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: July 25, 2007 03:58AM

not to be rude, but you may want to use spell check before sending your letters so they'll be easier to understand. i was more than a little confused over the "lossing wheight" subject heading and initially thought it was a joke...

peace

Date: July 25, 2007 12:40PM

thank you mrdc and pampam for your info, i just didnt want to have this false notion in my mind of feeling great after the first day.

bikin- in truth i never even noticed the spelling untill it was up and i re-read it, i guess thats what i get for not ckecking it. but seeing as sooooo many other people have messages with lots of spelling mistakes i dont think i will feel to badly about mine

-katie

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: July 25, 2007 12:53PM

Katie,

I went raw after having lost 40lbs on Weight Watchers. I still have another 40lbs to lose. My weight loss has been inconsistent. The first two weeks, I lost, but I was still on WW mentality. The next two weeks, I ate anything raw I could get my hands on (especially raw gourmet and lost of nuts & avocadoes) and I gained 4 lbs. Since then I have tried to monitor what I eat a bit more and keep to the guidelines of 80% carbs / 10% fat / 10% protein. With this I am losing about 2-3 lbs a week and I eat until I feel full, only I really limit the fat intake. I also walk 5-6 miles a day, 6x a week, but apparently, I have a terribly slow metabolism and everyone is different. As for detox, I had about 2 weeks of hard detox and one week of lighter symptoms...severe lethargy, aches and pains. I felt like I had the flu or like I had been run over by a mack truck. Yes...it is worth it because I feel like a new person. Some people transition slowly and others go cold turkey. I waivered on this as well. But I did notice that after being 100% for several days, if I ate cooked food (even steamed veggies) the symptoms of detox would return slightly, like a little dragginess and some aches in my joints. I am just a few days short of 2 months raw and most days I am 100%. This past weekend I had a little cooked food and even though I ate it, for the first time, it really had lost its appeal and I actually missed my fruits! It is a process. Take one day at a time. Set small goals...ones that you are comfortable with and can live with. Set yourself up for successful because every bit of raw food you put into your body is more beneficial than anything cooked you would otherwise be eating. My husband still basically eats a SAD diet. After watching my success, he is asking for more and more fruit and veggies. although I bake his bread from wheat that I grind and still fix him oatmeal for breakfast, his lunches are almost all raw as well as all of his snacks. For dinner he might have some whole wheat pasta, but the rest is raw. Just with this, he is losing about 5 lbs a week and feels much better. After our weekend of eating out, he said he too missed having fruit and was ready to get back to it.

One step at a time...

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 26, 2007 03:26PM

You might go thru all that, but you might not. Don't project what hasn't happened. Go for it! You'll be amazed at the results and how you end up feeling.

As for spelling..well there are lots of people whose second language is English and I don't ever worry about spelling on these posts. English is my first and only language..and I hav lots ov spelling errors sometmes..but I blame it on my worn keyboredsmiling smiley

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: July 26, 2007 03:41PM

i actually felt GREAT after the first day of raw. i was so excited, and went into the second and third day with high hopes. but the third day i felt really drained, had cravings, and really couldn't believe i wanted to stay raw. so i'd eat a little something cooked, usually rice-based, felt like crap that night and the next day was dedicated to raw again.

i found this to be my cycle, i could do raw for three days, but on the third night would want cooked. so i had to balance out my system. juicing really helped, and keeping around food that would not be, um, cookable. removing temptation.

after a few months of a really hard time with it, i settled into a less than 100% raw diet that has really worked for me. most days i'm 100%, especially in the summer, but when i want something cooked, i make sure it is something i really want, enjoy, and i don't go overboard.

but when it was cravings for junk or for foods that made me feel bad, i had to analyze my mental/emotional state, and restrict myself from emotional eating. this was a hard cycle to break. and also not feeling pressured by others to eat eat eat. (it's amazing the guilt they can put out, a large herd of italian grandmas trying to fatten you up...)

i didn't find i lost weight, i just lost fat. i also got pregnant, had a baby, breastfed, and got pregnant again in all that raw-foods cycle, so my weight would not be the best indication of health.... my friends who know how i eat are interested in learning more, i think that is the best indicator of my health.

peace-

Date: July 27, 2007 02:44PM

prism/ and mama cass:
thanks for your info... right now im just so excited about this new lifestyle and now that i got paid this week i can acutaly starte it up. im just going to take it one day at a time (baby steps) but let me ask you guys this
i dont have a jucer and i am not going to buy one untill i have dont this for a month (i feel if i keep it up for a month then im in it for the long hall) i have a blender (with no lid... lost it in a move) and i was just wondering what are your fav easy smoothies to make. so i can try them out.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 27, 2007 03:34PM

My basic and most favorite is a little tropical type juice (you can use distilled or filtered water) banana, with frozen or fresh raspberries. You can make it as thick or thin as you want. I like to add something in my smoothies that is frozen, it is a nice chilled drink.

I also like banana, mango, and strawberries, with a few other frozen berries thrown in.

I used my juicer today to juice fresh grapefruits..so yummy..but I don't use my juicer as much as I use my blender. I use my blender everyday.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 27, 2007 06:43PM

just use a small plate for a cover until you buy what you want smiling smiley
patty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables