Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Can I take ACV while on a fast?
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: July 28, 2007 02:54PM

I feel it has some benefits I could use right about now but I don't want my digestive system started...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I take ACV while on a fast?
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 28, 2007 04:23PM

It you are water fasting, you are better served without ACV, as it does start up the digestion. ACV contains acetic acid, which is a toxin that the body needs to remove. The body is stimulated by the action of removing toxins. This stimulation is what makes people incorrectly think that ACV is healthy.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 28, 2007 08:50PM

I don't know about using it when fasting, but people do that lemonade fast, the one with lemons and a lot of maple syrup, which I find kind of repulsive.

I don't know Bryan, what your statement exactly means..if the body is stimulated by the acv to remove toxins, are you saying it's trying to remove only the acetic acid from the acv?

All I know is what it's doing for my digestion and my painful sciatica, which has been very helpful to me. and if I was in top shape with eating all raw for a long time (perhaps 3-5 years) I probably wouldn't need to use the acv.

I don't know much about fermented foods, or drinks, but do they all contain acetic acid? And here is some info on vinegar, we are talking about only the organic raw unfiltered type of acv, not the clear kind found in supermarkets.

(Vinegar
Vinegar just may be the perfect food. A natural antibiotic, it stimulates the immune system and inhibits the growth of microbes. Vinegar also is an excellent source of acetic acid, which stimulates digestion. To help prevent food poisoning, consume it with every restaurant meal, especially when you travel abroad. Add a splash to salads or soups, or pour it over meat or fish dishes.

For arthritis, mix together one tablespoon each of honey and vinegar in a shot glass and drink it down twice a day. Among the best varieties of vinegar are those made from grapes or apple cider. Dark balsamic vinegar is exceptionally rich in health-enhancing chemicals, such as bioflavonoids. Food always has been medicine. While we may have temporarily lost sight of this fact, the cures for many common ailments are as close as your local supermarket.)

I just find it interesting to disucss this stuff, hope you don't mind.

Love,
Prism

Date: July 29, 2007 11:29PM

> (Vinegar
> Vinegar just may be the perfect food. A natural
> antibiotic, it stimulates the immune system and
> inhibits the growth of microbes.

Kind of what I wanted it for. I have a nasty sinus infection thing going on. I've never had one of these before. My mother had the same thing recently and is telling me it's "the weather". Whatever. I want it gone.

Carrot juice did nothing for me. And today I've had nothing just because I'm too weak to go to the store anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2007 11:31PM by LikeItOrNot.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 30, 2007 01:47AM

You could try it during your fast, then let us know how you liked using it.

I don't know about the weather causing a sinus infection, maybe kicking up loose dry dirt that carries unwanted microbes and other toxins?

I got one years ago when my sister-in-law and I went over to my brothers house to deep clean and organize since he had just gotten married and was on honeymoon. The house was so filthy, the rug so polluted that I ended up with a terrible sinus infection. I went to the Dr.'s and got treated for it.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 31, 2007 06:23PM

WHAT I DO WHEN I FEEL A COLD MUTATING INTO A SINUS INFECTION (sorry for yelling didn`t realize caps were on) is i take colloidal silver and put it into my nostrils and let it run down into my nasal cavities. i also do the same with a heavy salt solution every 3 hours or so. it almost always does the trick and i am able to stay off antibiotics which destroy your immune system. i also ingest alot of garlic smiling smiley
patty

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: July 31, 2007 08:41PM

I would not use ACV on a water fast, but I would not hesitate to use it on a Juice Fast/Feast under certain conditions.

• Doug Graham had this to say: Dave, To my understanding and without doing further research, there actually may be some malic acid in apple cider vinegar, as malic acid is in apples. However, vinegar is acetic acid and water, 19 parts water, 1 part acetic acid. This does not change, I do not believe, with apple cider vinegar. The rest is just marketing.
• Dr. Norman Walker writes, "All references in my previous publications to the injurious effects of VINEGAR applied definitely ONLY to the white distilled vinegar and to wine vinegar, in which the destructive element is the predominance of ACETIC ACID. Pure APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, on the other hand, made from whole apples and NOT DILUTED, contains the constructive MALIC ACID, an ingredient needed in the digestive processes. APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, on the other hand, contains MALIC ACID, a constructive acid which combines with alkaline elements and minerals in the body to produce energy or to be stored in the system as glycogen for future use. It has proved to be of immeasurable value when used judiciously by humans and for animals."

The difference between Doug and Dr. Walker is that Doug BELIEVES all vinegar is DILUTED, whereas, Dr. Walker KNOWS that ACV is NOT diluted.

Peace and Love........John

Date: July 31, 2007 11:22PM

Prism Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You could try it during your fast, then let us
> know how you liked using it.
>
> I don't know about the weather causing a sinus
> infection, maybe kicking up loose dry dirt that
> carries unwanted microbes and other toxins?
>
> I got one years ago when my sister-in-law and I
> went over to my brothers house to deep clean and
> organize since he had just gotten married and was
> on honeymoon. The house was so filthy, the rug so
> polluted that I ended up with a terrible sinus
> infection. I went to the Dr.'s and got treated for
> it.

I kind of wondered if something triggered it but nothing makes any sense. I was out most of the day. Drove about 3 hrs total and the highways weren't really polluted and there wasn't much traffic that early. No trucks blowing fumes in my face. Then from there I went to the park and walked my dog for about a half hour, came home and crashed and woke up with post nasal drip.

Maybe the litter box needing cleaning but it's not the first time I let that go and it wasn't that bad.

Anyway, I didn't bother with the ACV because bythe time I got the energy to go to the store they didn't even have any. Well they had some crappy brands, just out of Bragg's. Then the next day, it's pretty much gone anyway except for my ears being blocked.

I picked up some garlic though. not sure if the garlic juice is helping yet. I only put one clove in with carrot and beet juice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables