Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Spirooli
Posted by: smilebig ()
Date: August 01, 2007 06:20PM

Hi.

I asked this question in another forum but didn't receive a response, so I'm trying it here:

I purchased a Saladacco to make pasta strands and failed miserably.

Has anyone successfully used a Spirooli?

Is a Spirooli easier to use than the Saladacco/spiral slicer?

Do the strands come out noodle-like or more like the thin, flat peels you'd get with a vegetable peeler?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spirooli
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 01, 2007 07:00PM

The Spirooli noodle is very noodle-like and thick. as opposed to the thin angel hair pasta that comes out of the Saladacco. The noodles are not flat like a peeler makes.

The one negative about the spirooli is that it has suction feet that don't grip the counter surface so well. I work around this by applying weight onto the spirooli as I use it.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: August 01, 2007 09:32PM

I cooked for a living for many years, so I'm pretty good with a knife, but to me a mandoline gives the most flexibility your money can buy. You can slice the zucchini as thin or as thick as you like and then use your knife to make either angel hair, fettucine, or "egg" style noodles as you wish.

I've had zucchini "pasta" two nights in a row now; once with a red sauce and then last night with a walnut pesto. Each time I prepared the "noodles" appropriate to the sauce; angel hair for the red and fettucine for the pesto, using the mandoline and a french knife both times. It's my new addiction (the zucc pasta, that is).

Oh, and just a tip for those interested: preparing the zucchini first and then putting in a colander with a dash of salt over the sink to drain while making the sauce eliminates some of the water that thins the sauce so much otherwise.

khale

Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: August 03, 2007 01:34PM

Hi smilebig

I had problems with the Saladacco. It arrived ready assembled with the cutter blade positioned upside down! apparently its a common mistake.
Hope this helps

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 04, 2007 04:26AM

Yes, I had the Saladacco as well and it wasn't very good. I would also like to purchase the Spirooli. Which vegetables make the best noodles?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables