Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dehydrating and Bugs
Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: August 05, 2007 05:19PM

Has anyone, particularly those who live in densely crowded cities like NY,NJ, San Francisco, etc.,, experienced any bug/insect problems with dehydrating? I have a roach problem in my building and in my neighborhood and regardless of how scrupulously I clean, use an exterminator and use roach motels, when there are tempting smells about, the bugs come out.
I have not used my dehydrator since I moved to this apartment and would like to hear from others who live in major cities if they have ever had the "surprise" of finding their dehydrator trays of food crawling with visitors like ants, roaches, flies, etc. and what they did about it. I really miss my un-baked treats but the Excalibur does not have an air-tight seal and I'm terrified of creating a really big problem if I dry my cookies, crackers and breads with their terrifically tempting aromas.

Help and suggestions from others who live in city circumstances like mine, or from people have roach/ant/centipede issues and manage to use a dehydrator successfully much appreciated.

thanks.

peace
love
joy
i breathe in
i breathe out
Bikini

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dehydrating and Bugs
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 05, 2007 11:40PM

Yes, I have the same problem and I live in a major city. I have stopped dehydrating since it is an ideal temperature for bugs to live in. Smell is very atractive to them also. I use orange oil and a burner. It does change the smell of the kitchen. Products such as Orange Guard are made of orange oil. I also sprinkle baking soda or Boron Twnety Mule Team wherever I see them

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 06, 2007 01:00AM

what if you got one of those tents used on picinic tables and keep your deyhydrator in there .. if not big enough get some mosquito netting and some 1x1's and make a mosquito tent that will fit it .. long as they cant get under the edge you would be ok smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: August 07, 2007 05:20AM

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Anyone else with any support or info...?

peace
love
joy
i breathe in
i breathe out
Bikini

Posted by: perbetty ()
Date: August 07, 2007 07:18AM

Wow, thanks! I just bought a dehydrator to bring down to the tropics, and man am I glad you posted this!

Betty

"Don't believe everything you think."

--Bumper Sticker

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: August 07, 2007 01:38PM

This is just an idea, so it might not even work. When I lived in Virginia there were roaches. I kept my apartment *very* clean and only saw about one roach per year, even though the apartment right next to me (it was a duplex) was infested to the point where the roaches were out during the day and night--on the walls, floors, and ceilings! EEK!

Anyway, some of my friends were also keeping their places extremely clean and they wondered how I was keeping the roaches out of my place if I wasn't using chemicals. It turned out that the carpet powder (the apartment was carpeted) I was using (baking soda and cinnamon) before I vacuumed must have been keeping them away. So, my friends started using the combination and their problems with roaches diminished (but they never had the success I had, so it could have been other things, as well, that we couldn't figure out).

So, maybe if you put the dehydrator in the middle of a table and surround it with a generous sprinkling of baking soda mixed with lots of cinnamon, the bugs won't want to cross it to get to the dehydrator? If you try something, I hope you dehydrate some inexpensive items to start--just in case the bugs end up in there.

Lots of love to you,

Gypsy

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 07, 2007 03:19PM

you can make a simple tent from mosquito netting and some 1 x 1 strips of wood .. put it over top and make sure the beasties cant get under the bottom edge

we use these for camping smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables